Roof Top Tent and the Uncomfortable Mattress

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
I added a 2 inch queen size "egg crate" foam mattress pad under the OEM mattress in our Series 3 Eezi-Awn 1600. It is overkill but I tend to do that with everything... :eek:

It is extremely comfy now.

4RunAmok

Explorer
I've been trying to get her to do a 3 up for YEARS, it ain't going to happen!! LOL.

For my scenario, it works well. :D

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
4RunAmok said:
I've been trying to get her to do a 3 up for YEARS, it ain't going to happen!! LOL.

For my scenario, it works well. :D

I don't think a king size mattress would help you out in this regard. ;)

TheRoadie

Explorer
Martyn said:
Memory foam turn hard in low temps, so it's not a good solution.
Oh, I can second that. My wife brought a new memory foam pillow to our last outing. At 34 degrees, a paving stone would have been softer.

MaddBaggins

Explorer
I find the mattress in my Eezi-Awn 1800 a little hard, but not nearly as hard as a Thermarest on the ground. And for reference, I'm 6'2" 260 and sleep on a pillow top bed at home.
I thought of getting some 1/2" or 1" foam to velcro to the tent floor, under the mattress. If I cut it where the floor breaks, it will just fold up easily with the tent.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Our matress in our roof top tent is great. And im 250 lbs (plus Yosh and the Dog). We just lay two sleeping bags down and hit the sack. No other cushioning. But i've also heard that the cheaper knock off Mombassas have a thicker matress than the expensive high end tents :)

MaddBaggins

Explorer
GunnIt said:
Good find! I just ordered one too. I thought that I was the only one that thought that the mattress in a RTT was a literal pain in the butt.

Well the mattress in the Eezi-Awn is far better than sleeping on the gound, but my soft ******** finds it a little hard. If I had a sleep number, it would be low. Looking forward to the next night out with the pad. :camping:

gpwpat

Adventurer
let us know how this works out. I need a soft place too. my wife and I found our eezi awn 1800 to be to hard. we wind up on your sides in the night and my hip was sore. so I slipped our therma rest under the mattress and it was tolerable. but the extra set up of getting out, blowing up, inserting, putting away etc. would be nice to get rid of. I want to unfold and climb in.

Lemsteraak

Adventurer
Mattresses are a big trade off. The most comfortable mattresses are heavy. I've used an old Columbus for years, I primarily camp in warm weather. Winter camping in the Redwoods during a storm is my idea of heaven. The mattress is great, but get below freezing, my joints hurt. The foam in the Columbus is a polyurathane foam made by Bultex, a French mattress maker. The problem is not the mattress, it is the cold.

My wife came home with this big fluffy mattress covering thing made by Ralph Lauren and proceeded in stuffing it in the tent. Yeah, what does she know, but it works quite well. Now we always bulk up the mattress if we are going out in the cold.

If you compare the mattress of a Maggiolina, a very good cold weather tent, to a Columbus, a not so bad cold weather tent, the mattress in the Maggiolina is about an inch thicker. Makes a huge difference. But you pay the price in weight, a small Maggiolina is 115 pounds and a small Columbus is 95 pounds. I weighed the mattress in my old medium sized Columbus, the tent weighs about 115 pounds as far as I can tell, the mattress was 37 pounds, that means the tent and fiberglass shell is only about 75 pounds. It is a big tradeoff, a nice polyurethane mattress is heavy, you also want it light, as it is up high. I can sputter out all these kinds of things like this to my wife but she will just go off and get get something fluffy and girly and you know it works.

Moral, listen to your wife, they know things

Rich @ AutoHome

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
I havent had the opportunity to try out my OverLand's mattress yet, but i plan to very soon.

My wife picked me up a featherbed for the top of it for winter camping, should add a bit more comfort and warmth. If i find the mattress uncomfortable for warmer weather i can always swap in my AeroBed and inflate it in 6 seconds.

MaddBaggins

Explorer
MaddBaggins said:
I just found a cool king size mattress top pad on clearance at Bed Bath and Beyond. http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=106679&RN=616

I think it might just do the trick. We'll see, at least it was only 23 bones.

This came in last week and I installed it this weekend. I should have ordered the California King size as it was shorter than I expected. No big problem.
I ended up installing it under the Eezi-Awn mattress and I cut it where the floor folds. I took a 15 minute nap in my driveway and it feels more comfortable for sure. I think it will be just the right amount of added comfort and, hey, it was only $23 and made in USA.

MaddBaggins

Explorer
Bergger said:
So are you still able to close your tent with your other bedding inside with out any issues?

No problem. It only adds 1/2" and I didn't even notice any difference when I folded it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger