UJOR Build Thread

mgmetalworks

Explorer
There's really two ways to answer the original question.

...Can the RSC issue...be solved by turning off the code in the computer instead of getting the upgraded axle?

The answers are:

"Maybe but not likely because getting into the software to make a change would take a thorough understanding of hardware/software hacking. Unless of course you have a buddy who programs ABS modules for Ford...then it might be easier."

and then there's this more optimistic answer:

"No, but there could be another way to eliminate RSC if you're up to some extensive parts swaps and reconfiguring your van's module network. The ABS module for RSC vans is different than non-ABS vans AND some of the other modules in the network appear to have RSC specific calibration files. A van can be reconfigured but it is a pretty extensive mod to make and easily over a grand in parts (if you buy everything new from Ford)."

The above is so far an untested theory btw... I'm in the middle of trying to figure it all out as part of my Cummins swap. I've had some successes reprogramming individual modules with different calibrations than they came with from the factory but I haven't been able to get the whole network set up and reconfigured to what I want specifically. This is mostly due to not having time to play around with it but partly because my first few attempts were spoiled by pass-through device problems.

That's about as complete of an answer as I think there is right now...at least for vans.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
7.3 SMB is mobile! Just need to add a light bar and the tuner before delivering. Add some miles too.

11149309_958022124217016_6263229056921301839_n.jpg

V6 finally gave up! The 5.4 has been randomly overheating and decided not to run earlier this week. So now we need to fix it. Still undecided on whether to just throw a good 100k mile used engine in or rebuild what we have. If we rebuild it will have to be done 100&, more $$ but it will be nice to have a good solid engine in our run around work rig.

11136726_958350084184220_4800756079390406926_n.jpg

12509_958465004172728_1792325925814773580_n.jpg

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
I'm going to be looking for a tuner in the upcoming weeks. Any word on reselling them with the Ujoint specific tune?

Yes, we've been loading all new 7.3 tuners with the new tunes and we're even pulling out some old tuners to be updated.

What does the RSC Upgrade entail - always wondered?

New parts from the knuckles out. So knuckles, spindles, hubs, the proper tone ring & block for the ABS sensor, x-over steering, high clearance tie rod, 35 spline stub shafts, Premium hubs, 14.5" rotors, calipers, etc.

600_RSC.JPG

BajaSportsmobile

Baja Ironman
Nice parts and upgrade in general over the unit bearing setup.

Is the problem that the F-Series VSS and the E-Series RSC VSS are not compatible, where the non-RSC E-Series VSS is compatible?

New parts from the knuckles out. So knuckles, spindles, hubs, the proper tone ring & block for the ABS sensor, x-over steering, high clearance tie rod, 35 spline stub shafts, Premium hubs, 14.5" rotors, calipers, etc.

600_RSC.JPG

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Yes, the F series unit bearing style sensor won't work with the E series sensor (on RSC equipped vans) The stock E series sensor has to be retained and it won't fit in the unit bearing. So with our upgrade the ABS sensor bolts to the knuckle and reads the tone ring that is pressed to the back side of the hub assy.

We put these parts on more vans w/o RSC than with. It's a great upgrade just for the big brakes & serviceable wheel bearings. The upgrade does't add the RSC software, just the parts pictured. In my opinion the brakes are worth the upgrade price alone, especially since there aren't any good value big brake kits for the generation axle we use.

Last edited:

BajaSportsmobile

Baja Ironman
Those big brakes are a nice upgrade as well as the other items.

Yes, the F series unit bearing style sensor won't work with the E series sensor (on RSC equipped vans) The stock E series sensor has to be retained and it won't fit in the unit bearing. So with our upgrade the ABS sensor bolts to the knuckle and reads the tone ring that is pressed to the back side of the hub assy.

We put these parts on more vans w/o RSC than with. It's a great upgrade just for the big brakes & serviceable wheel bearings. The upgrade does't add the RSC software, just the parts pictured. In my opinion the brakes are worth the upgrade price alone, especially since there aren't any good value big brake kits for the generation axle we use.

GorillaJoe

Chris, you've torn into 75-91 vans as well as the newer E-350's. How hard would it be to fab and do a 4x4 conversion on the older vans as opposed to the newer ones? Any major differences underneath? I've been searching and lurking for a looong time now. Was just curious.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Chris, you've torn into 75-91 vans as well as the newer E-350's. How hard would it be to fab and do a 4x4 conversion on the older vans as opposed to the newer ones? Any major differences underneath? I've been searching and lurking for a looong time now. Was just curious.

Anything is possible! It's been a long time since I've done anything on the 75-91 generation. The frames are different so no parts can be swapped.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179