Overland Journal: G-Wagen

Scott Brady

Founder
Will there be an ExPo or OJ article with route details?

Todd Z.

There will be. We were fortunate to explore the Navajo Nation with Seth and Candy of Adventure Driven. They have contacts/access to some amazing stuff.

picture-43.jpg

picture-104.jpg

Scott Brady

Founder
Scott, how are you liking the tires now that you've done some wheeling? Any rubbing? Thanks.

They are too big, but surprisingly, they only rub minimally. The performance of the tire is excellent and I am shocked how quiet they are. However, this vehicle really needs 255/85s and some Hutchinsons :)

chris505

Observer
They are too big, but surprisingly, they only rub minimally. The performance of the tire is excellent and I am shocked how quiet they are. However, this vehicle really needs 255/85s and some Hutchinsons :)

Im curious what you mean by "too big", they look nearly identical height-wise to the 315/75R16 tires I have had on my G500 for nearly a decade of extremely rigorous off-road 'testing' (no lift/no rubbing).

Too big due to rubbing or too big due to increased crawl speed/decreased torque?

The least invasive way to fit 35s on a G is use of ET63 wheels (Looks like your rear wheels stick out 20-50mm too far to tuck up inside the fenders at full compression).

Scott Brady

Founder
Too big due to rubbing or too big due to increased crawl speed/decreased torque?

Both

They are too tall and too wide for how I use the vehicle. They are likely taller than your (i.e. most) 315/75 R16, being a 305/70 R18 and 35.1" actual height. They are rubbing front and rear, both during compression and in the front during compression and turning. They do not rub excessively, but I do not want/need any rubbing at all. My plans are to fit the Hutchinsons and a 255/85 R16 or possibly a 295/75 R16. Run a tire size more appropriate for mixed terrain and general travel.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Great seeing you this past weekend Scott. Thanks to you and the OJ/ExPo crew for bringing the heat to WA. :sombrero:
Looking forward to the Hutchinson's on your G!

-Jeremy

KiwiKurt

Explorer
what's available in the way of lifts for these? Just the OME type? or are the gucci remote reservoir styles available too?

Scott Brady

Founder
There is everything from mild to wild for the G-Wagen. There is also an extensive line of factory springs. Most recent, OME released a few kits.

Full Gucci is also available.
G_631.jpg

KiwiKurt

Explorer
amazing.

An impressive truck. I (sadly) have to sell my beloved xTerra soon (moving overseas) so Im not sure what my next rig will be when I get back.

The short list is the G Wagen, a 200 series, a quad cab of some kind, or possibly a grey market bring back.

The G Wagen just has something about it that really appeals.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears