Overland Journal: G-Wagen

zipdoa

My plans are to fit the Hutchinsons and a 255/85 R16 or possibly a 295/75 R16. Run a tire size more appropriate for mixed terrain and general travel.

Would you run the STT Pro again? Or move to something less aggressive like the ST Maxx?

Scott Brady

Founder
The Overland Journal 2016 Gear issue will feature part one of our G-Wagen project, detailing all of the drivetrain, suspension and exterior modifications. The project from the exterior is essentially finished. I still plan to add beadlocks and a taller tire for the trail

Super happy with this vehicle.
image.jpg

McBride

Adventurer
Scott,

For the Hutchinson Beadlocks I'd recommend Walt at TAV (Tactical Application Vehicles) in Albuquerque. Several of us have purchased them thru him. He is recently out of the service and mounts the tires in minutes for a very reasonable cost - he'll show you his mounting tricks and if you want to talk tactics he is up to date on the latest - his training is very interesting.

With good tires traditional balancing using adhesive weights is a good way to start.

Tactical Application Vehicles - 1-919-753-8131

William

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Make sure the wheels are hubcentric to the hubs! If not, Tony at Motorsports in Portland OR (Hutchinson dealer) is having the modifications done to make them hubcentric. My old O'erlandewagen is getting this done now.

PH4

Observer
Scott, see where you removed the brush guard and kept it off. Any particular reason? I have gone back and forth on adding one. The only reason I need it is as a carrier for hunting.

Scott Brady

Founder
Scott, see where you removed the brush guard and kept it off. Any particular reason? I have gone back and forth on adding one. The only reason I need it is as a carrier for hunting.

I love the functionality for carrying a stag- typical German brilliance.

I just like it without the brush guard. Purely aesthetics

Scott Brady

Founder
I took the G out for a POW day :)

12402037_10154506640608275_4506375322515097875_o.jpg

12485977_10154487841823275_4894996250058740660_o.jpg

I also installed an Autohome Columbus RTT to do a little testing and see how the G handles the roof load. So far, with the smaller/wider tires, the load is manageable, but I do not plan to keep the tent up there full time.

McBride

Adventurer
Looks like fun! I don't think people realize how much snow the Arizona high country gets.

Nice FrontRunner rear window hatches.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman