Tembo Tusk Scottle Recipes, Tips and Tricks

TemboTusk

Rendezvous Con
Where can you get that sausage?

Jeff, I get it locally from a South African Butcher out of San Diego. He serves all of Southern California. Link: http://www.perkysfoods.com/

San Fransisco also has a large South African community and a link to the local guy is: Mano Thanos

Ask for Boerewors pronounced "Burro Vorst" or "Burrie" for short.

If you are a beef jerky lover. Ask for "Biltong" and "Drywors" be added to your order. You will never eat store bought beef jerky again!

For those of you in other cities, Google "South African Boerewors, or Biltong or Drywors" Any large city will have a South African community and they always have a GUY that they get their stuff from. Or do a Facebook search for the local SA Club in your area.

pcut

Adventurer
So I'm very curious about this piece. How much propane does it use to cook a meal like this one?
We were travelling this weekend, but I was determined to cook something on the skottel so we stopped off at the supermarket on the way home this morning to grab food for lunch. Ribeye was on sale, so I had the butcher shave off a pound on the meat slicer. First I sauteed an onion and a green pepper in olive oil and a tbsp of kerrygold butter. Once the veggies were sweating I pushed them to the side to warm and threw the ribeye in with a dash of salt, pepper, and garlic. The meat cooked quickly, although, in retrospect, I should have amped up the heat a little to get a better seer and leave more bits for the au jus. I pushed the meat to the other side to warm then reduced a cup or so of red wine over the center and added beef broth to complete the au jus. I removed as much of that as I could with a spoon then tossed the meat and veggies in the remainder. I portioned the mix of meat, veggies, and au jus out to sandwich sizes and topped each with provolone. Added some water to steam and laid a baking pan across the top to capture the heat. Finally, everything went on to hot french bread. It was amazing:

81DC46C5-F5E9-4949-8359-138662EBC902_zps0lgyxzg7.jpg

6C729BAF-8475-4936-A0A4-12DFF23960AA_zpsfhjuw1tt.jpg

1613FA93-DC04-4FB4-BD37-2D69E41BA68D_zpsjwbim4pc.jpg

744EBEC5-16C4-41B3-86E0-E30FC84FBC30_zpsozrevbkm.jpg

74ED61D8-1FFB-4B53-B8E2-99C3A2F533BF_zpsdgalm9gl.jpg

353091DA-963C-4635-834C-6092BAB82DF8_zps6k7o5ytw.jpg

TemboTusk

Rendezvous Con
As an example of gas use and "mileage may vary". While at the Overland Expo West this year, we cooked h'orderves all day while showing off the Skottle to the crowds. I had to change the gas bottle at noon the NEXT day. I brought a bunch of bottles and only used two during the three day show.

R Stowe

Observer
I got my skottle right after Expo East and took it on a recent trip to Hunting Island. We made shrimp tacos, steak stir fry, and shrimp stir fry. We also made breakfast, but no photo evidence of that. I was really impressed with how little fuel it used.

We kept the recipes simple and only used olive oil, sea salt, black pepper, and a bit of worcestshire sauce for pretty much everything.

TemboTusk

Rendezvous Con
Looking good! I like your list of seasonings and you're right, they would work with just about anything cooked on the Skottle! It is surprising how well it uses gas. We cooked samples all day on the Skottle at the Overland Expo West and the bottle lasted a a day and half before we needed to change it.

Keep the pictures and recipes coming!

Johnainny

Observer
We made zucchini with peppers and onions then grilled rosemary chicken. Zucchini and peppers where made with salt,pepper,garlic and papperica. The chicken is made with oil, salt,pepper and fresh rosemary. 20151118_114617.jpg20151118_120455.jpg

cactusjk

Explorer
Finally starting to see some real feedback on a great piece of kit! Keep sending the great scottle recipes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears