Sure-Fire Ways to Improve Your Roof Top Tent

teotwaki

Excelsior!
That could be the case with other brands that don't have the waterproofing features. For those people, feel free to use the bungees and hopefully no leaks. :)

I have used the bungees for 5 years and with absolutely no seam separation and no water ingress through seams in multiple days of heavy desert rainstorms. The problem is over-hyped but makes for a nice sales pitch on one brand of tent.

stingray1300

Explorer
Rip, Most seam tapes are heat activated, no way to reapply it. If an area comes loose, the fix we use is the cut out the bad section,then seam seal with McNett / Gear Aid Seam Grip. This is what we were using to seal the occasional problem seams on RTTs before factory seam taping was common place.

Thanks CompactCamping, this is likely what I will do...

FlyAddiction

I am thinking about making a new cover for my RTT. I really like the old easy-awn system with no zipper and fully removable. What fabric could I use to make it durable, waterproof(ish) and be able to use a regular sowing machine to make it? Anybody got first hand experience with sunbrella fabrics?

JKJenn

Adventurer
I am thinking about making a new cover for my RTT. I really like the old easy-awn system with no zipper and fully removable. What fabric could I use to make it durable, waterproof(ish) and be able to use a regular sowing machine to make it? Anybody got first hand experience with sunbrella fabrics?

The whole zipper type cover is why I abandoned the RTT. It took me way too long to get everything tucked and zipped on my ARB Pilbara tent. If someone sold a cover that would work like that, I might pick up another RTT.

compactcamping

Explorer

You would want to make it out of a PVC coated polyester fabric, in an 18 oz or heavier weight. This is the stuff semi tarps are made from and similar to what Tepui covers are made from. It is waterproof. Issues is to sew it you'll need an industrial walking foot type sewing machine. Part because of the fabric thickness and partly because of how big a cover is.

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
You would want to make it out of a PVC coated polyester fabric, in an 18 oz or heavier weight. This is the stuff semi tarps are made from and similar to what Tepui covers are made from. It is waterproof. Issues is to sew it you'll need an industrial walking foot type sewing machine. Part because of the fabric thickness and partly because of how big a cover is.

I am lucky to get through some canvas and such with an older HD machine. I would love to have a Juki but they are $$! Cheapest I have seen one in good shape was $600.

Lucky j

Explorer
I made and cover protector using an old winter garage tarp, similar to a general purpose tarp.

I have use my reliable baracuda sawing mavhine, but I'm sur a regular sawing machine could do it. Just use the heaviest nylon tred that can fit thrue your machine.

It could last just a year or two, but cheap to make an other one.

But perso, I used it to protect the original cover from dirt, mud and sun.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
I installed two of these:
2362-1-d-ring-tie-down-with-mounting-bracket_1_640.jpg

One in each corner of the tent's fold out floor section, opposite where the ladder is centered.

During high winds in exposed camping areas I use them to anchor the tent platform to prevent unwanted lift from hoisting the ladder into the air as the hinged section lifts up. In this rocky area of the White Rim Trail I took a 5 gallon bucket and hung it from the upwind D-ring and filled the bucket with rocks. You can just make it out in this photo, almost resting on the ground.

NKN_6844-1.JPG

Photo from this trip report: http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com/2014/05/exploring-with-expedition-trailer-in.html

Without a zipper, how do they attach?

enzo

Explorer
I feel like the girl who demo'd the tent has a very promising career in the late night commercial business advertising 1800-talk dirty numbers haha

Check out the comments section for that video. "Had to watch it twice to see the tent." lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears