Pics of your VAN! Post up!

Justone

Thanks, going with steel do to the ease of modifying them, ie: easy to weld. If they get a ding or dent they could be hammered out on the trail. Have two full sets at this point. Playing with banding (wider) some 12" rims for my Chevy Sprint auto cross car.

Stitebunny

Adventurer
-draaronr

Not sure on temps. It was in the single digits outside I think. The heater was pretty much running non stop all night but we were comfortable. Maybe 60?

jmeb

Observer
Amazing thread. Looking forward to reading it from the start with a few beers tonight.

My first and current van: a stock 2001 AWD Astro, 165K-ish, with easy up/down camping setup. Mostly used for skiing, summer camping/hiking/climbing/biking adventures. Sadly I think her transmission will go in the next year or two, so I'm starting to think about my next van, ready to go more all-in now that I've caught the van addiction. In an ideal world: mini-van size, AWD/4WD, reasonably priced, truck chassis.

I've got a pile of photos I tried to post up, but am not allowed to post links yet apparently.

LiveWire64

ihatemybike

Explorer
Sadly I think her transmission will go in the next year or two
Handy with a wrench? Transmissions on RWD based vehicles aren't terribly hard to remove/install. There are a few rebuilders around me that will rebuild with all the tough upgrades for about $1000.

jmeb

Observer
Handy with a wrench? Transmissions on RWD based vehicles aren't terribly hard to remove/install. There are a few rebuilders around me that will rebuild with all the tough upgrades for about $1000.

Not handy enough, and sadly no space living in the city. Plus its an AWD van.

ihatemybike

Explorer
Plus its an AWD van.
True AWD, but RWD based. Engine and transmission are longitudinal in the van, built like a truck. FWD based AWD vehicles are harder to work on.

Truth, if the body is in good condition, the engine is strong and you still like it, having the transmission done would be totally worth it, especially with how easy it is to convert them to true 4x4.

Accrete

Explorer
True AWD...especially with how easy it is to convert them to true 4x4.
I know there are pros/cons reasons for each person's rig, that said, I would not trade the our rig's AWD's daily-driving safety and convenience in our soggy PNW. Sure there is a _sort of_ extra cool factor with 4x4, but a nicely set up AWD will take at least 80 percent of us to : ) 99% of the places we want to go.

YMMV : )
Thom

Choff

Adventurer
AWD Vans are the Best

Agree on the AWD Vans !!!
I have been driving an AWD GMC Savana Van for 100,000 Miles !!!
And its my 5th van from the 1970's -Yes old fart 62 years young- and still driving vans.!!
Goes through snow like stink!!!
Tires and wheels recently added, great Tires -Goodyear Tripple tread with GMC Denali Rims from E-BAY
Air bags in the rear for added lift when needed.
Just put on 2800 miles over Christmas-Best traveling vehicle out their!!!
Choff
KEEP ON TRUCKING

Attachments

• 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    535.6 KB · Views: 76
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    521.6 KB · Views: 76

Forum statistics

Threads
Members