My new to me 2009 4runner Trail Edition

chmura

Adventurer
Yes I saw that, that's a really old picture of it. :(

Making some changes to the 4Runner. Selling the Gobi if anyone is interested.

chmura

Adventurer
Just installed my full length 2.2m Eezi-Awn K-9 Expedition Roof Rack.

I purchased it from Paul May over at http://www.equipt1.com/

I sold my Gobi and I was looking for a completely flat rack so I can mount up a roof top tent easier. It is full aluminum so you do not need to worry about any rusting. It is low profile which is a big plus for reducing wind noise.

The install was a little more troublesome than I wanted. This was due to the rails being to short where the original holes where drilled. I had to drill new mounting holes into the rail to move the rack 5 inches forward so the 5th leg can attach to it.

Now I am 100% happy with the new K9 rack. Paul May over at equipt1 has excellent customer service and works with you with whatever issue you may have.

Another benefit is with this rack if you purchase say a 5th gen 4runner, GX 460 years later, you can transfer this rack onto your new vehicle. The only item you might have to purchase is the rails.

I highly recommend this rack. I have never seen a 2.2m K9 rack installed on a 4th gen before.

Last edited:

KRP

Observer
Hmm.. I have the frontrunner, and the only complaint I have is that it cuts end around the middle of my sun roof. It could extend further and I'd have extra room when my tent was on. That one look great.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

chmura

Adventurer
So I finally got some work done to my 4runner. The following items were purchased.
- ARB 50 quart fridge
- ARB fridge slide
- ARB wiring kit
- Bolts used – 4 6mm x 50mm metric hex cap screwed. These were screwed into the 4runner existing threaded holes where the Toyota D rings where screwed into.
- 4 tee nuts were used. Size 1/4-20 x 5/16. These were used to mount the arb fridge slide to the base plate made.
- 3 spacers used to level out the base plate in the rear to make the plate flush with the rear seats.
- Bought some auto carpet that is easy to stretch.
- I used a 3/4 inch cabinet grade plywood

Began by taking the weathertech cargo liner to use as a template on a piece of cardboard first. Then test fitted the cardboard a few times making corrections to it and used the cardboard as the final template to trace it out on the plywood.

I went to my friends house who has a wood router to make the edges smooth and made the front of the wooden plate close to a 45 degree angle.

Here are the pictures of the process.

rickashay

Explorer
Cool I didn't know you had an AirTop!? How do you like it?

Looks like a decent crossing. Ever since I witnessed a brand new Tacoma hydrolock 30kms into the back country and have to get dead-towed out by two other trucks and winches, I've leaned on the side of caution with water crossings.

chmura

Adventurer
Nice rig.
thats a legit river crossing :Wow1: Did you walk it first or just dive in?

No I did not. Its a well known crossing so I was not too worried. Since it was raining and cold I just went for it.

Cool I didn't know you had an AirTop!? How do you like it?

It was a rental. I wanted to rent one just to see how I fit being 6'1" tall. I fit perfect in the AirTop. I am kind of leaning towards the Authome Extreme Medium with the crank mechanism.

I am having a hard time choosing between the AirTop model or the Extreme/Airlander crank models.

Would appreciate feedback from others.

Greenbean

B.S. Goodwrench
I am 6'4" and am curious if you have looked into flip/soft RTTs?

Just curious that's all.

Thanks,
GB

chmura

Adventurer
I am 6'4" and am curious if you have looked into flip/soft RTTs?

Just curious that's all.

Thanks,
GB

Honestly I thought about it but the ease of opening and closing a hardshell tent is a major advantage for me. Takes less than 30 seconds to open and less than 2 minutes to close.

Also, when I tested a medium AirTop over the weekend there was no wind noise at all and I could hardly tell anything was on my roof going 80 mph on the highway and wheeling the entire weekend. The only thing I need to do is get new rear springs. I am on the regular soft icon springs.

Autohome Makes this tent in an Extra Long version for people that are 6'2" +.

photo nomad

Adventurer
Honestly I thought about it but the ease of opening and closing a hardshell tent is a major advantage for me. Takes less than 30 seconds to open and less than 2 minutes to close.

Also, when I tested a medium AirTop over the weekend there was no wind noise at all and I could hardly tell anything was on my roof going 80 mph on the highway and wheeling the entire weekend. The only thing I need to do is get new rear springs. I am on the regular soft icon springs.

Autohome Makes this tent in an Extra Long version for people that are 6'2" +.

I have a James Baroud Evasion Evo and switched out my Icon 2" springs for a set of OME mediums to handle the extra weight when my FJ is fully loaded.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior