Cheap Fridge <$400 shipped

Presto88

Adventurer
Just placed an order on a 43qt. My second attempt, last one was cancelled a few weeks ago. Fingers crossed on this one.

That happened to me last week too! I've never ordered from "OpenBox" before and was all excited to get such a great deal and then a few hours later I got an email saying someone beat me to it.

I ordered another one about 5pm(MT) yesterday. So far no rejection. It's the weekend though. I'll just wait it out and hope to be pleasantly surprised.

Presto88

Adventurer
Got my cancellation email today saying someone beat me to it. Hope it was you.

Nope. Sigh. Got my cancellation today too!

I may be about ready to give up on "OpenBox". Twice now I've thought that I had one ordered and then the rug got pulled out from under me. Add to that the fact that I'll be getting one that was either returned or somehow (hopefully just superficially) damaged and I'm thinking that I may just go ahead and buy one legit. Anyone have a suggestion of where to get a decent deal? Sorry. How lazy am I? This whole thread is full of suggestions of where to get a decent deal!

JLee

Adventurer

I may be about ready to give up on "OpenBox". Twice now I've thought that I had one ordered and then the rug got pulled out from under me. Add to that the fact that I'll be getting one that was either returned or somehow (hopefully just superficially) damaged and I'm thinking that I may just go ahead and buy one legit. Anyone have a suggestion of where to get a decent deal? Sorry. How lazy am I? This whole thread is full of suggestions of where to get a decent deal!

Mine was damaged fairly heavily (scratch/dent), but it was correspondingly cheap ($212 after coupon for a 63qt) and it worked fine. If you're okay with superficial damage, maybe wait for one of those to come up?

jzzr83

Sorry Presto88 and MikeInOH, I may have been the one to beat y'all out. I placed the order Friday night and it should arrive to my door on Thursday. I'll make sure to let everyone know the condition it is in. Paid $257.99 for the 43qt.

Presto88

Adventurer
Sorry Presto88 and MikeInOH, I may have been the one to beat y'all out. I placed the order Friday night and it should arrive to my door on Thursday. I'll make sure to let everyone know the condition it is in. Paid $257.99 for the 43qt.

Yep. I'm pretty sure that was "mine"! Dammit!

At least it went to a fellow ExPo member! Use it in good health!

4x4junkie

Explorer

They're currently $449 + free ship new on Amazon... I don't see why so much hub-bub over trying to get the "scratch & dent" ones when they're not that expensive from the get-go.

I bought my FP430 exactly 6 years ago (new), and except for some flimsiness of the plastic handles, hinges, and the DC power cable (all very easily replaced with better, as has been discussed in depth here and in other threads), it's been an excellent fridge with excellent temperature uniformity too (it gets maybe 1-2°F colder up on the shelf above the motor unit where the cooling coil is vs. down at the very bottom). There are popular fridges out there with worse performance than the Edgestar selling for much more.

I would say bite the bullet (it's not that big of a bullet) and get a nice dent-free new one. I doubt you'd regret it. Then you'll be able to put your own dents in it lol (yeah they do dent somewhat easily).

Presto88

Adventurer
I have one last question. (And, yes, I did start plowing through this thread to find the answer, but it's a LONG thread!)

I have a JKU and am wondering if the 43qt Edgestar will fit in the storage area behind the back seat. I need my fridge to be small enough so the long edge will fit between the tailgate and the back of the rear seat. I don't want to turn it sideways.

Tell me it will fit and I'll let the moths out of my wallet and spring for the one on Amazon - thereby leaving the next scratch/dent for MikeInOH or some other deserving soul!

4x4junkie

Explorer
The FP430 is a straight-sided box that is 23-3/8" wide x 16-1/4" deep x 20-1/2" tall, not including protrusions such as the power cord, handles & latch (OE power cord sticks out maybe 1.5" when plugged into the socket, though if you do what I did (put a pigtail on there), then you can reduce that to maybe 3/8").

Does that help?

teddyearp

Adventurer

I was surprised there was more than one when I ordered mine and then posted the link. I had the same let down experience: order, confirmation, cancellation, last time I tried a couple months ago, so do not give up folks. Mine is due in today! Woot!

Presto88

Adventurer
The FP430 is a straight-sided box that is 23-3/8" wide x 16-1/4" deep x 20-1/2" tall, not including protrusions such as the power cord, handles & latch (OE power cord sticks out maybe 1.5" when plugged into the socket, though if you do what I did (put a pigtail on there), then you can reduce that to maybe 3/8").

Does that help?

Thanks! That's everything I need!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears