JKU Tire Opinions?

Fishrising

Observer
Added tire weights and what I've seen for approximate online pricing per tire (before shipping, taxes, install, etc):

Stock KMs 255/75/17 = ~30.25" 47# ~$190
BFG KO2s 34x10.5r17 = ~32.44" 55# ~$305
ST MAXXs 255/80/17 = ~32.50" 51# ~$205
GY DURATRACs 285/70/17 = ~31.75" 53# ~$260

Looking like the 255/80/17 ST MAXX is going to be my winner, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet...still looking for my miracle tire that is rated just as good, is a bit taller real world height (w/o going to 35s), weighs about the same, and is also in the low to mid $200 range...

My biggest problem with going taller (but still <35s) seems to be the weight...for instance, the Falken Wildpeak A/T3W 285/75/17 (33.8"x11.2") is 65#s, more than 10 #s heavier than the ST MAXX and 18#s more than my current KMs...although 50-90#s is less than either one of my kids....so how bad can it be? Maybe I am over cautious with the added weight, and rotational mass of larger tires on my 3.8L 3.73....or maybe not....ugh...I hate decisions and analysis paralysis...

@JKU87, thanks for those pics! And thank you to everyone else who has contributed to this thread as well!

Last edited:

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I know that I ran the st maxx and KOs in 285s, the st maxx was noticeably heavier than the KO....both e rated. A big difference in weight.

kayadog

Adventurer
The ST Maxx 255/80r17 is 58lbs. I confirmed that with Cooper. For some reason the weight is misprinted most places online. The Mastercraft CXT is a new attractive option in that size.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I just looked up weight on the mastercraft MXT, its 5 lbs less than my bfg. HMMMMMM time to make a call to my local dealer!

Fishrising

Observer
Still haven't made a decision yet....uggghhhh! Sorry for thinking out-loud below...but please feel free to add comments and opinions...thanks for listening!

I want to go as big as I can without going to a true 35, and still meet the criteria I laid out in the beginning of this thread...with a couple of new caveats:

* I currently have a 1.75" level kit on, but would consider a true 2.5" lift down the road...so whatever I buy now would have to work with the level kit until then...
* I'd rather not use my 1.5" wheel spacers, but will...
* I would consider cut stock plastic fenders (un-painted textured ones) or the new Mopar High Top fender flares...

Current list:

[[[255/75/17 Stock KMs = ~30.25" 47# ~$190]]]

34x10.5xR17 BFG KO2s = ~32.44" 55# $300 installed locally
255/80/17 ST Maxx = ~32.50" 56# $225 installed locally
285/75/17 Falken WildPeak A/T3W = ~33.00" 65# $210 installed locally
285/75/17 Toyo Open Country A/T II = ~33.00" 63# $200 installed locally

* All my research shows these will fit my Jeep as it sits.

* Given about ~0.5" difference in real world height between some of these tires, that equates to ~0.25" overall ground clearance difference. Which is negligible I suppose.

* At close to 10 pounds or more difference per tire, that is potentially over 50 extra pounds between these tires on my Jeep with a 3.8 and 3.73. And almost 100 pounds over the stock KMs, versus just 50.

----

Maybe my decision now is KO2 vs. ST Maxx....

Last edited:

surly

surly adventurer
Too bad you aren't new Oregon. We have 10 Rubicon take-offs ?(wheels and tires) taking up space in our garage.

(none)

Adventurer
Are you mixing up mounted heights vs. unmounted heights? Also the load rating will vary the vehicle ride.

The 34" BFG K02s are listed by BFG as being 33.5" high unmounted, many people show them around the 32.5" mounted height (seems about right, my 35s are about 33.5" mounted). The Coopers should be closer to a 33x10" unmounted, so I'd expect them to be closer to 31.5-32" mounted. The load ratings of E on most the tires is intended for heavier loads, and might cause a rougher ride in such a "light" vehicle. Also, if you plan to spend much time off road, I'd expect a rougher ride and less tire deformation at lowered pressures.

The BFG is still a D rated tire, which should ride better and weigh less. The unsprung weight (different than having kids in the car) is what more greatly effects handling, braking, acceleration and ride. With our solid axles, we already have quite a bit of unsprung weight to start with, but I'd figure less is usually better.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Is there any one of these tires that speak to your heart?
If so, go with that. They are all great.

Buy the one you love, otherwise you'll have to love the one your with... Ohh, I need to write that down for my next mega-hit song... :elkgrin:

Fishrising

Observer
Forgot to add I also have a Traildash2, so I've got tunes....maybe that'll make up for the extra weight?

Thanks guys...

I want the most height I can get. I want triple peak weather rated. I want lightest weight. Don't think I can have all 3!!!

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Forgot to add I also have a Traildash2, so I've got tunes....maybe that'll make up for the extra weight?

Thanks guys...

I want the most height I can get. I want triple peak weather rated. I want lightest weight. Don't think I can have all 3!!!

I struggled with this decision too.

In the end I got the BFG KO2 in 34x10.5R17 and I've been extremely impressed with them.

They are waaaay quieter than the stock KM2s were, fill the guards nicely and have been excellent in snow/sleet/rain/mud/sand/gravel and tarmac.
I have yet to find a fault with them.

Very, very happy with the choice.

-Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179

Members online