FWC Fleet on Tacoma?

NintendoFlower

I'm hoping to get a Four Wheel Camper Fleet Popup camper model with options weighing in at 1300 lbs total. I would ideally like a Tacoma TRD Off-Road 4x4 with Double Cab, but the payload is only 1170 pounds. I also hope to carry kayaks, bikes, dog, friends and gear.

From my research and reading EP threads, it seems like people who pair the Tacoma and Fleet invest a good amount of money into modifications, such as Deaver springs and helper springs, and the ride can be rough afterward, especially if the camper isn't always on the truck.

Maybe Tacoma owners with a Fleet don't get many camper options, so they have a lightweight camper?

What have people done to modify a truck with payload far below the expected weight, and how much was the total cost? Was it worth it and worked out ok?

Does the truck become uncomfortable to drive as a daily driver after modifications?

Can a modified truck seriously handle 1000 pounds over payload capacity?

Since I don't already own the truck, and I'm sure on my 1300 lb camper, should I get a Tundra or T100 that can handle the weight without modifications (or with minor modifications)?

I'm a bit nervous to spend so much on a new Tacoma and put even more money into modifications, when maybe the new truck won't be comfortable to drive or too overloaded, and maybe I should just get a truck with a higher payload?

Thank you in advance for any advice, links to other threads, etc.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Really it's up to you. But if you expect to load a fleet, friends, dogs and gear, expect to be 2000lbs over gvwr at least.

Some people just throw on heavier tires and air bags and feel likes its ok. I guess if you drive like a grandma and aren't particular about ride quality and safety it "works". The short story is that, if you want it to handle well fully loaded, it's going to be rough unloaded. With such a light rig, there is such a big difference between empty and loaded.

My honest opinion is to just start with a heavier duty truck. A later model tundra and hawk would probably be a little better with "just air bags", but a real 3/4 ton truck or better will do a better job probably. Honestly the Tacoma isn't going to win an my MPG awards and isn't much different than many 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks. I previously chose a tacoma and fleet due to smaller physical size and offroad ability, but was happy to spend lots of money on the aftermarket gear. But once the second kid came into the picture the whole setup was just too small. Weight was on my mind all the time and everything I added made my second guess myself. Now with a 1 ton 4x4 van I can pile gear in/on and not feel concerned about seriously damaging or breaking anything.

In summary, a modified tacoma and feet can be amazing if well modified and loaded reasonably. But planning to pile in several adults and toys with minimal mods just isn't going to make things feel good.

evilfij

Explorer
I can tell you a new ACLB at GVWR without suspension mods is not good and a DCSB is probably going to be worse. The brakes are not up to the task and while I have no doubt suspension mods could fix the handling, if you are running with 2000lbs of people and stuff you would be better off with a full size truck.

Last edited:

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
The Tacoma can handle the Fleet FWC with air bags at a minimum, beyond that you are looking at a suspension upgrade, something from ICON or ARB possibly. A different vehicle is an option. The Chevy Colorado is getting great reviews, very popular in Australia, its less than the Tacoma and you have the option of a diesel engine.

Rando

Explorer
Unfortunately, the Colorado won't give you a substantially greater payload capacity than the Tacoma. Depending on options, the payload is in the vicinity of 1470lbs, so you would still end up wanting to beef the suspension up, and this is harder to do with the Colorado as their is much less aftermarket than the Tacoma. For 4 people, a camper and gear, I think you would be better served with a larger truck. This is from someone with a 2016 Tacoma and a Fleet flatbed. We are very happy with the combination, but have done substantial suspension work,pay attention to our weight and typically just travel with 2 people and climbing/backpacking gear.

The Tacoma can handle the Fleet FWC with air bags at a minimum, beyond that you are looking at a suspension upgrade, something from ICON or ARB possibly. A different vehicle is an option. The Chevy Colorado is getting great reviews, very popular in Australia, its less than the Tacoma and you have the option of a diesel engine.

Martyn

Unfortunately, the Colorado won't give you a substantially greater payload capacity than the Tacoma. Depending on options, the payload is in the vicinity of 1470lbs, so you would still end up wanting to beef the suspension up, and this is harder to do with the Colorado as their is much less aftermarket than the Tacoma. For 4 people, a camper and gear, I think you would be better served with a larger truck. This is from someone with a 2016 Tacoma and a Fleet flatbed. We are very happy with the combination, but have done substantial suspension work,pay attention to our weight and typically just travel with 2 people and climbing/backpacking gear.

There are many suspension upgrades for the Holden Colorado which is the Australian version. I don't think it will be long before ARB brings something in. They already offer lockers, suspension, snorkels, battery kits and long range tanks for the Aussie market

Rando

Explorer
That is a good point. However we'll have to wait to see how many of these Holden upgrades are actually compatible with the Chevy Colorado. The Holden Colorado and Chevy Colorado are very different vehicles, akin to the Tacoma vs the Hilux. I had the impression that upgrading the suspension was tricky based on the posting from a guy on WtW who was having a hard time of finding upgrades to cary his Fleet.

There are many suspension upgrades for the Holden Colorado which is the Australian version. I don't think it will be long before ARB brings something in. They already offer lockers, suspension, snorkels, battery kits and long range tanks for the Aussie market

Martyn

That is a good point. However we'll have to wait to see how many of these Holden upgrades are actually compatible with the Chevy Colorado. The Holden Colorado and Chevy Colorado are very different vehicles, akin to the Tacoma vs the Hilux. I had the impression that upgrading the suspension was tricky based on the posting from a guy on WtW who was having a hard time of finding upgrades to cary his Fleet.

I'll make a point to find out.

NintendoFlower

Thank you!!

You all have helped me make my decision, definitely getting larger truck and giving up on the Fleet/Tacoma dream for a Fleet/Truck that can handle all of my crap! I don't have any friends into these topics and don't know much about vehicles, thank you for taking the time to help me!

Last edited:

Motafinga

Adventurer
You all have helped me make my decision, definitely getting larger truck and giving up on the Fleet/Tacoma dream for a Fleet/Truck that can handle all of my crap! I don't have any friends into these topics and don't know much about vehicles, thank you for taking the time to help me!

Good call, I was about to echo what most have said here having tried an earlier Tundra with a 1200 lb camper. That was a joke and waaaay to little truck once all loaded up. I now roll a 1700 lb Alaskan and 2 dirt bikes, 2 dogs, my lady and gear on an older F250 PSD and the truck barely breaks a sweat. Go big you won't regret it!

Overlanerd

Vagabond Outdoors
My DCSB Tacoma weighs in at 6,800 with the FWC Falcon. Sliders, full skids, winch, plate bumpers, swingout, etc. My only issue is gearing (on 33's), which will be corrected within the next 6 months.

A little under powered, but it handles hills decently and is fine on the freeway. It's a 6-speed though, which helps with slowing down. I really don't see a need for bigger brakes with my setup.

As far as suspension goes, it has been a battle to support the weight. Finally got it right with some custom Alcans, 12" Kings, and a BAMF relocation kit. Buttery smooth and very stable.

Also 700 lbs springs on the front Fox coilovers.

image.jpg

image.jpg

It did OK off-road with Dakars, but they were flat. Can't go full size on some of the trails that were tackled this summer, and the ones I plan to attempt next summer.

image.jpeg

Runt

Adventurer
I think it depends on what types of terrain you plan on travelling. Having owned a Tacoma with a Phoenix Pop up which is not all that different the a FWC.....perhaps a bit heavier due to the options. I can tell you I upgraded all suspension (6" lift), installed air bags, re-geared to 4:56, chipped, exhaust and air box mods and upgraded my brakes and eventually it was okay. You'll be fine with just the camper and keeping the weight down with a Tacoma....obviously over the GVW though.

Then I threw on a trailer with two quads or snowmobiles and it was not. I did love the truck off road though and if you plan on doing Jeep type trails stick with a Tacoma....if its over landing where you will be primarily on rough FSR's etc I think the Tundra is a better choice. For 80 % of the time I prefer my Tundra. Pulls it all easy, lots of room and stops it all easy.....but its too big for most trails (th2 20 % of the time I wish I had my Tacoma still).

Having said that I will likely build another Tacoma to replace my Jeep but this time I'll keep it simple...no camper....just a RTT or Canopy....heck that Tacoma Habitat by ATT is pretty neat. I feel that is the best shelter option to carry on a Tacoma. Good luck.

surlydiesel

Adventurer
I will just add that you don't gain a lot of legal load carrying capacity with a Tundra. The larger platform will carry more weight better but it's within a few hundred pounds of the Tacoma. I would look at either a domestic 1 ton or possibly the new Titan XD. That truck is almost in 3/4 ton territory. In the domestic area, the 3/4 vs 1 ton are the same trucks with more capacity in the 1 ton with an overload leaf in the rear and a higher load capacity written on the door jam. I'm being really simplistic but I would always get the 1 ton over the 3/4 ton with the domestics. They ride the same...

A Tundra has the running gear of a 3/4 ton truck but you still have to do some suspension upgrades to make it handle a camper load safely. I wish I could get one and throw a camper in it but I'm not convinced and I'll most likely be buying another F350.

-Jorge

evilfij

Explorer
It is really a shame because the payload on something like a defender pick up is 1165 kg. Why we in the US can't have a small pick up with lots of payload capacity is beyond me. I mean merc has vans with immense payload capacity, why not for a pick up?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger