Converting a factory JK/JKU hardtop to modular

djb_rh

Observer
And finally, for this application, in production quantities tempered glass is less expensive than quality acrylics.

You know I'm gonna put you on the spot, but I assume the above is simply in case someone wants to mass produce a kit? As in you're still only going to get a few pieces for yourself and leave the "production quantities" for others to worry about *if* it gets to that?

--Donnie

jscherb

Expedition Leader
You know I'm gonna put you on the spot, but I assume the above is simply in case someone wants to mass produce a kit? As in you're still only going to get a few pieces for yourself and leave the "production quantities" for others to worry about *if* it gets to that?

--Donnie

Are you asking because you'd like to do this mod to your Freedom Panels or are you asking just to put me on the spot? :)

Coincidentally, I was contacted Thursday by a company that saw my skylight posts and they asked if I'd be willing to work with them to produce a DIY kit.

Here's the long version answer to your question...

I told them I would be willing to, but I wasn't sure that the work to flatten out the two ribs to form a flat gasket surface was something most DIYers would want to do. The work to flatten those spots isn't very hard, it's about the easiest fiberglass work you could ever do, but maybe some people wouldn't want to tackle it.

I told them a complete kit for two skylights would consist of:

- 2 pcs. of tinted tempered glass (these will be inexpensive in even fairly small production quantities)

- 2 sets of hinges (following current automotive engineering practice, the hinges are simple pieces of spring steel, not actual hinges, so they're very inexpensive to have manufactured)

- Weatherstrip (an off-the shelf item)

- 2 latches

- Necessary nuts, bolts, washers

- (Possibly) the fiberglass supplies needed to flatten out the spots in the ribs

- Detailed step-by-step instructions (which I would write for them, I've already taken all the necessary "how to" photos)

I then suggested to them that a "partial kit" is an option they also might consider. The partial kit would not include the fiberglass supplies, nor would it include the latches. The reason for not including the latches is that the best I've been able to do so far is find the latches I used for about $45 each. I'm looking for alternate latches, but the ones I used are perfect, and only cost me $3 each at a u-pull junkyard, and they're also very available on eBay for about $10 each, so they're easy for the buyer to source himself very affordably.

I told them I thought offering a partial kit does a few things:

1. Keeps the retail price of the kit way down because the buyer can source his own latches for $3-$10 each instead of the company putting two $45 latches in the kit (that they'd also have to mark up)

2. Maybe keeps the lesser-skilled DIYers from buying. If you're willing to buy a kit where you have to source the fiberglass materials and the latches then you're probably more of the right mind set/skill set to be successful with the project.

I told the company I'd email my contacts at RV window companies on Monday to see if I can get a quote for getting the glass produced. I asked them to think about whether the full kit or the partial kit made sense for them to offer. And I'll be thinking about whether I think enough people would want the kit for me to take the time to work with the company to productize the kit.

I have no idea if this will go any further than the discussion stage, but since you asked, that's what's happened since Thursday.

Now if you really wanted to do this project and it didn't become a kit, you could always get the tempered glass done yourself at a local glass shop. I live in the middle of nowhere and I managed to find a glass shop within about 20 minutes that could make the tinted/tempered glass for the JK Safari Cab, so in more populated areas I'm sure you could find a place without too much trouble.

In the meantime... since I don't run a factory hardtop on my JK anymore I've got no use for Freedom Panels with skylights, so I'm done with this project for now and I'll move on to my next idea...

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
How about just a skylight that doesn't open? Might be easier to implement and cheaper. Just an idea that came to me.

djb_rh

Observer
Are you asking because you'd like to do this mod to your Freedom Panels or are you asking just to put me on the spot? :)

Definitely interested in doing the mod. But I like putting you on the spot, too. :)

Basically I think it would be cool if there was at least someone doing a group order for the glass pieces, but I'd be even happier for a kit, even if I had to source my own latches.

--Donnie

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Very interested in the standard kit (without latches)

Hi Jeff,

This is of big interest to me, as I've just committed to running the hard top full time for at least the next year.
Three questions:

Will you have an opportunity to test the completed version (with tempered glass) for wind noise when opened & closed?
Will you have a chance to see if the modified panels fit in the OEM top bag?
Would the instructions also include a cutting template?

Really like the way you've designed this. The wind noise issue would be the only deterrent for me.

Hope this proves out to be another successful hand off to a competent manufacture. :beer:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Definitely interested in doing the mod. But I like putting you on the spot, too. :)

Basically I think it would be cool if there was at least someone doing a group order for the glass pieces, but I'd be even happier for a kit, even if I had to source my own latches.

--Donnie

I'll tell you what - if the company that contacted me about this decides not to go forward, I'll consider doing a small production order for just the glass, as long as there are enough people interested in buying just the glass to make a production order worthwhile. I may be able to get away with ordering as few as 6 sets. I would pass the glass along at no profit to myself because I'm not in business to sell anything, but people would have to cover my costs - the glass and the shipping.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Hi Jeff,

This is of big interest to me, as I've just committed to running the hard top full time for at least the next year.
Three questions:

Will you have an opportunity to test the completed version (with tempered glass) for wind noise when opened & closed?
Since I've got the Safari Cab on my JK and I don't plan to swap a factory hardtop on just to test the skylights, I don't have a way to test wind noise.

I'm sure there will be some wind noise when they're open, after all it's an open window just above your head, but I don't think there will be a noise problem when it's closed. As reference, you can tell when the vent windows in the back of the Safari Cab are open, but it's not loud enough to be objectionable. When they're closed there's no sound from them at all.

If the company (and I) decide to go forward, they'll test them before release and maybe they'll also try to find some people who are willing to be early adopters/testers of the kit to do additional testing.

BTW one of the commercial fixed skylights is raised off the roof surface (photo from their website below), and I've searched and find no customer comments about wind noise (there are lots of comments about leaks and cracks with that product though :)).

Will you have a chance to see if the modified panels fit in the OEM top bag?

Yes.

Would the instructions also include a cutting template?

For the later model Freedom Panels, no template is necessary, just cut along the joint between the inside and outside skin on the inside of the panel.

For earlier models, the glass can be placed on the inside of the panel, located accurately with only two dimensions, traced onto the panel surface, and the cut will be made 1/4" inside the traced line. The company can decide if they should provide a template for the early model panels (or even support the early ones at all).

Really like the way you've designed this. The wind noise issue would be the only deterrent for me.

Hope this proves out to be another successful hand off to a competent manufacture. :beer:

Thanks. I don't know if they (or I) will decide to go forward, but if it does go forward it will be professionally and competently done.

JeeTops2_zpswa8z4qa4.jpg

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Would be cool if someone near you could put them on their Jeep to see how they work out. :)
Actually when you are all done with the modular top design, and the windows, it would make someone local one heck of a top for their jeep! :beer:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Actually when you are all done with the modular top design, and the windows, it would make someone local one heck of a top for their jeep! :beer:

Sometimes I think I should buy a 2dr, just so I can play with the modular hardtop and the related mods on an actual Jeep. But since I don't have any plans to own a JK 2dr, I probably will sell the hardtop when I'm done trying out interesting mods on it.

djb_rh

Observer
Sometimes I think I should buy a 2dr, just so I can play with the modular hardtop and the related mods on an actual Jeep. But since I don't have any plans to own a JK 2dr, I probably will sell the hardtop when I'm done trying out interesting mods on it.

I WANT IT!!! ;)

FWIW, I'd be in for two sets of glass if you did the group buy, too.

I'd probably use my vinyl cutter to do a mask for use to paint the UV barrier and could probably do extra sets of those for folks who wanted it pretty cheaply.

--Donnie

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I WANT IT!!! ;)

FWIW, I'd be in for two sets of glass if you did the group buy, too.

I'd probably use my vinyl cutter to do a mask for use to paint the UV barrier and could probably do extra sets of those for folks who wanted it pretty cheaply.

--Donnie

Since there's no adhesive used in this skylight design, a UV barrier isn't necessary and it's not part of the design.

djb_rh

Observer
Since there's no adhesive used in this skylight design, a UV barrier isn't necessary and it's not part of the design.

Oh, I thought it might need to be there for the rubber seal, too. Guess not. I still wonder if it might not make it look a bit more professional from underneath, but if it did it would be really subtle, I admit.

--Donnie

djb_rh

Observer
Crazy question: It's not possible to separate the outer and inner layer of the Freedom Top, is it? (And put it back together, obviously.) Like if you wanted to embed something in that cavity created by the "raised" part on the bottom side.

--Donnie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger