Converting a factory JK/JKU hardtop to modular

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Crazy question: It's not possible to separate the outer and inner layer of the Freedom Top, is it? (And put it back together, obviously.) Like if you wanted to embed something in that cavity created by the "raised" part on the bottom side.

--Donnie

It's unlikely you could separate them without damaging one or both of the skins. That being said, it's fiberglass, so almost anything is possible to repair depending on how much work you want to put into it and what your skill level with fiberglass is.

What are you trying to put in there? I may be able to suggest a better way to get whatever it is inside there without taking the whole thing apart.

djb_rh

Observer
It's unlikely you could separate them without damaging one or both of the skins. That being said, it's fiberglass, so almost anything is possible to repair depending on how much work you want to put into it and what your skill level with fiberglass is.

What are you trying to put in there? I may be able to suggest a better way to get whatever it is inside there without taking the whole thing apart.

I don't think it will end up reasonable to do, but I wondered about a version of the roll-up sun shades that some minivans and cars have embedded in the rear passenger doors. They just have spring tension trying to pull them back all the time and you pull them out and clip them on the far side to stay in place. There are those and then there are those "fan signs" you sometimes see at sporting events that sort of do the same thing with a thin piece of vinyl that might also adapt. Those are small enough to potentially mount on the outside, too. But in any event, all that is probably too complex to bother with. And I think there's only enough cavity room on the passenger side to embed it anyway...looks like too much crap in the way and a smaller cavity on the other side (if I'm picturing things right...one side has a bigger cavity than the other and less stuff in the way).

--Donnie

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I don't think it will end up reasonable to do, but I wondered about a version of the roll-up sun shades that some minivans and cars have embedded in the rear passenger doors. They just have spring tension trying to pull them back all the time and you pull them out and clip them on the far side to stay in place. There are those and then there are those "fan signs" you sometimes see at sporting events that sort of do the same thing with a thin piece of vinyl that might also adapt. Those are small enough to potentially mount on the outside, too. But in any event, all that is probably too complex to bother with. And I think there's only enough cavity room on the passenger side to embed it anyway...looks like too much crap in the way and a smaller cavity on the other side (if I'm picturing things right...one side has a bigger cavity than the other and less stuff in the way).

--Donnie

Donnie,
The way I'd do that is exactly how I install the wiper in the Safari Cab barn door - I bond the inner and outer skins together, and then I cut a hole in the inner skin for the wiper to go into, and I cover it with a cover plate. The photo below shows before and after.

BeforeAndAfterWiper_zpszkbyogfl.jpg

For the Freedom Panel shade, you could cut a hole and make a new cover plate of steel or aluminum and bolt the shade mechanism to the cover (black dashed line). You could cut a slot for the shade to come out of (red dashed line). Pretty simple if you get the right shade.

DonnyShade_zpsi9ysffmi.jpg

djb_rh

Observer
Yeah, that's definitely reasonable.

Your picture above shows the latch in the open position, but close it and it shouldn't be in the way for a custom shaped shade. I could see that working fairly well.

Seems the only U-pull salvage yards around here are LKQ. Which might work fine for finding the minivan parts for this, but they seem to actively avoid buying Wranglers. Looking at the inventory from three different stores near here, they have *one* Wrangler and it was a YJ. Plenty of other Jeep products, but no Wranglers to speak of. That because of the removable top or something? Seems VERY few reasonably priced hard tops come up for sale on the local Craigslist, but that could just be time of year, too.

--Donnie

jscherb

Expedition Leader
The installation of the skylight in a Freedom Panel is really very simple - cut the hole along the joint line between the inner and outer skins, drill holes for the hardware, push on the weatherstrip and bolt everything in place. Well, there is one more step, those are all the very easy steps.

After you cut the hole, there are two places where the gasket surface isn't flat (four if you're doing an early model Freedom Panel). The two spots looks like this:

PanelBeforeMod_zpshui5q7ml.jpg

The goal is to have the surface flat on both inside and outside and a consistent thickness all the way around, like this:

PanelAfterMod1_zps7wexihxy.jpg

And on the outside, the ribs have to be sanded back to look something like this, and the paint touched up:

PanelAfterMod3_zpsmq0yidcp.jpg

The process: with the panel upside down, fill in the "low spots" with several layers of fiberglass mat saturated with a resin that's compatible with the SMC of the panel (I covered resins earlier in this thread). Once the resin is cured, sand the inside flat if necessary, flip the panel over, and sand the "high spots" of the rib to look like the last photo above.

I used the same resin technique that I did earlier in the thread - a first layer of SMC-compatible resin followed by subsequent layers of white-tinted ordinary polyester resin. To do the whole thing in one step you could use all SMC-compatible resin, or epoxy resin.

The reason I posted this is to now ask this question: how hard does that sound to you? Easy? Difficult enough to stop you from doing the project? Something you haven't done before but you think wouldn't be afraid to tackle it?

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
It looks fairly simple to me. Only one edge is open, the rib forms the rest of the "bowl".
I'd be a bit nervous on a painted top, but it wouldn't stop me from completing this.
If a YouTube video(s) was available showing the steps, that would make it very easy to follow. Someone could download it on their tablet and follow right along.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
It looks fairly simple to me. Only one edge is open, the rib forms the rest of the "bowl".
I'd be a bit nervous on a painted top, but it wouldn't stop me from completing this.
If a YouTube video(s) was available showing the steps, that would make it very easy to follow. Someone could download it on their tablet and follow right along.

The open edge is easily closed with masking tape, then the fiberglass can be applied in a "bowl" with edges on all sides. I'll think about doing a video when I do the other side.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I heard back from the RV window company today - they said they could do the tempered glass for the skylights. He thought their glass division would probably want a minimum order of 25 pieces initially, and I told him that quantity shouldn't be a problem. He had a few questions before he could get a quote from the glass guys so now that I've answered them I should have an approximate price within a few days. Once I get that and assuming it's acceptable my next task is to make up a final template for the glass using the latches that would be in a production kit; I've got to get those ordered.

I don't know if this will get all the way to production, but things are moving in the right direction.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Received a price quote today for the tempered glass for the skylights. It's very reasonable. Based on the glass price and the price of the hardware and weatherstrip it will be possible for the kit to be very affordable, assuming the company wants to move forward. My next step is to determine exactly which hardware to use for production, and based on that deliver a final template for the glass to the window company.

If the company decides not to move forward, I'll consider doing a group buy so people who want to do this project could get the glass. If that happens, since I'm not in business to sell anything, the price would be exactly what it costs me to get the glass manufactured and shipped to me plus the cost of shipping to the buyer. I would not plan to make any money on it.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
That's an amazing deal either way.
Looking forward to how this comes out.
I'm a bit nervous of wind noise when closed. But headliners would most likely take care of that.

autarkus

Any chance you're still considering the pop-up top idea?

I've wanted the J30 for years. Now that I'm finally getting a JKU, the height exceeds the garage height I need to park it in. Used to be 6" over the stock top when closed but their latest design is ~10".

Also, thanks for getting out there and making things. I've been following along on your projects and it's great to see them come to fruition.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Any chance you're still considering the pop-up top idea?

I've wanted the J30 for years. Now that I'm finally getting a JKU, the height exceeds the garage height I need to park it in. Used to be 6" over the stock top when closed but their latest design is ~10".

Also, thanks for getting out there and making things. I've been following along on your projects and it's great to see them come to fruition.

Since this question is a bit off-topic for this thread I've answered it where it's on-topic, I hope you don't mind the shift: http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...for-JK-factory-hardtops?p=2213816#post2213816

jscherb

Expedition Leader
An animation video showing some of the configurations for the factory hardtop modular conversion.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I took the photos for the video animation this morning as I was disassembling the top to store it. Not counting the Freedom Panels, the 2dr top stores in 18" of space from the wall. The 2dr roof is 46" tall and about 56" wide, it fits nicely under a queen bed along with the back panel; the side panels can stand up in a closet or fit under a single bed.

FacModStored_zpsgmll6j0t.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12