15' Silverado build

Ds4x4

Observer
It's been a while and absolutely no progress on the chevy except some planning/research. We have been battling death wobble and a front end shake on the JK for a few months now. The dealership we bought it from has been utterly useless in fixing it other than the bandaid of a new stabilizer.

Anywho we did return last week from Costa Rica, it was amazing. I'd love to make the drive some time and do some more surfing.
ee974f9f446ccba64eaa7a4dd62b424c.jpg

And beautiful diving at the Catalina Islands
5982f1c4eb478da4ac041a67245b76bd.jpg

I will be ordering a RTT soon, the dual battery, a set of maxtrax and recovery gear for the chevy and jk. Also a fancy Tire carrier for the jk.

And maybe if I'm good I'll get a snomaster fridge for Xmas!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Ds4x4

Observer
We're getting ready for the weekend in Bedford VA for the Blue Ridge Overland Gear Flea Market and waiting on the email about the 23zero tent. im real excited about the prospect of having the tent here by the new year. Im going with the 23Zero Bundaburg, mounting it on the FrontRunner tall mounts to the front of my rack. It should leave enough room to put a set of maxTrax at the rear of the rack.

I currently have an email in to westin about their HDX Grillguard/winch mount, i think i might be going that route for the front. I feel like the steel bumpers are just too heavy for a 1500 with a 12k winch.
57-93615_kodir.jpg57-93615_01.jpg

But a little more like last years SEMA Westin build with the flush mount 10" Leds in the mesh.
maxresdefault.jpg

My other conundrum is the lighting situation for Side, Rear/backup attached to the Front runner rack. Im interested in some ideas to accomplish this and what is everyone using for LEDS. I know that front runner offers a single row side mount and a different mount for non front runner lights. I was originally thinking to do a dual switch setup so that i could activate the lights from the bed of the truck and also the cab.

The dual battery setup will be ordered after this weekend and some switches and other goodies for the bed. I look forward to seeing anyone whop is going on Saturday to Bedford.

Ds4x4

Observer
I guess I spoke to soon about bumpers. so, I checked out the other HDX bumper westin makes and that one falls in place about 194lbs. I then took a look around for a bumper that is still light but can take a 12k winch pull and saw Warns Ascent weighing in at 170lbs with no loss in approach angle do to the design. A 12k will plop right in so I think I'm going down that route. I dont know about the Rigid lights too much but I see they sell a Dually spot and flood, im not sure the advantages of one vs the other is yet if anyone could help me out.

Also what are some recommendations on 12k Winches? and how about which Air Bags you recommend? I have to get the bags ordered and installed right away in anticipation of the RTT.

Pics from warn
warn.jpgwarn2.jpg

For the fire department we pick Vacation in December for the entire year... after much talking with the wife, we've centered Vaca around Expo West... hopefully headed for Cali on the 4th of may going through the upper states with stops and then over to flagstaff.. after that a trip to the canyons and Vegas potentially, finishing off the trip through Texas and Shreveport ending back in Virginia sometime around the 23rd of may. I think a total of 21 states we would hit. Now on to the trip planning part, I'll be posting the potential route in the next week that will be open to suggestion and change. Oh and this build must get some wings!

Ds4x4

Observer
Just waiting to hear about the container coming in for 23zero to get the tent ordered. Hoping for any day now.. in the interim I went ahead and ordered up some parts for the dual battery. I'll be wiring the Acr without fuses in anticipation of running a 12k winch.

Blue sea 7622 ml-acr
Screenshot_20161211-212443.jpg

Blue sea 12 blade with negative terminals
Screenshot_20161211-195051.jpg

100amp resetable fuses
Screenshot_20161211-195035.jpg

I'm looking at the X2power AGM battery or just a duracell rv/marine deep cycle, both batteries have dual posts on top. Im having a hard time figuring out which size is for the second tray on the 1500 silverado's. This battery is made by APS btw.
Screenshot_20161211-212836.jpg

The battery they say will fit does not actually fit. So I guess I'll be off to the dealership tomorrow to figure out what size. I have not decided on the length of wire or Awg but I will probably be ordering some temco welding wire and running the negatives back to the battery instead of a frame ground.

I'm thinking about running a little 12v switched power center in the bed as well, something similar to this powerworx setup. although amazon has some for cheaper.
Screenshot_20161210-122659.jpg

swrider

Observer
Hey still loving your build thread, it looks like its coming along just right!!!
I have a question concerning your RC leveling kit. I am considering this route just so I can fit a larger tire on my truck. I was all set to go with it until I started looking around the chevy forums and coming to realize that it might be bad for the longevity of the front suspension. Does having the vehicle aligned after the lift install help with this at all? How have you felt about the kit three months into it? Now my debate is between the leveling kit or the RC 3.5" lift. Still not sure which is better.
If you want to check out this site, the first three posts have a wealth of information on them:
http://www.silveradosierra.com/suspension/
By the way. If you manage to come by Vegas next year let me know. Lots of great areas around to go see and the weather is still pretty good.
Cheers.

Ds4x4

Observer
Hey still loving your build thread, it looks like its coming along just right!!!
I have a question concerning your RC leveling kit. I am considering this route just so I can fit a larger tire on my truck. I was all set to go with it until I started looking around the chevy forums and coming to realize that it might be bad for the longevity of the front suspension. Does having the vehicle aligned after the lift install help with this at all? How have you felt about the kit three months into it? Now my debate is between the leveling kit or the RC 3.5" lift. Still not sure which is better.
If you want to check out this site, the first three posts have a wealth of information on them:
http://www.silveradosierra.com/suspension/
By the way. If you manage to come by Vegas next year let me know. Lots of great areas around to go see and the weather is still pretty good.
Cheers.
So I went with the RC 2.5 for a couple reasons. 1- it was cheap but effective as a temp lift until I can afford an Icon coilover kit. 2- going to 3.5" (which one of my friends have and makes the truck look awesome) requires cutting the differential cooling fins and some other mods that would make a warranty repair of the front diff not go through if it was sent in for inspection. Also this lift was an easy install, recommended tires are 33x11.5 (285/65) on stock rims or you could go bigger with trimming and offset rims/spacers. I met a guy that did 34x10.5x17 and doesn't have any issues at Mid-Atlantic Overland Festival. Bfg ko2 is one of the few that have that size.

As for the accelerated wear, yes any time you change the geometry of the suspension on any vehicle it shifts wear points to parts that may not have been designed to be as beefy. But look at it this way, you'll know what needs to be improved for next time.

It's funny you talk about Vegas, we are going to expo west and we're starting the planning process. The very rough sketch looks like this - 7,000 miles over 20 some days
20161211_224742.jpg

Ds4x4

Observer
Airbags went it without a hitch. Used the AirLift 5000 ultimate with the internal jounce stops. Ran the lines separate out to the rear bumper in order to control side to side level better. Kit was 88204 for the 2015 silverado. I'm still experimenting with the appropriate psi.
20161218_112639.jpg20161218_142459.jpgResized_20161218_130844.jpeg20161218_142939.jpg

Also picked up the procomp led floods on sale at 4wheel parts. Looking to add some flush mount rigid ignites to the step in the bumper as backup lights. ]Screenshot_20161218-224449.jpg

Weds. I hope to run the wires from the bed to the outside of the cap for the flood lights, 2 on each side. Hopefully I won't need to drill any holes *fingers crossed*.

playing around with doing some switches in the overhead console, I reckon I can get 7-9 switches max in there. The stock location I posted earlier will only work if you have traction control and cargo lights only, having Hill assist doesn't jive with the button combos. And it's a circuit board behind each stock switch to the BCM for a negative switch relay.
*not my photos
Screenshot_20161219-193221.jpgScreenshot_20161219-202345.jpg
Someone who is not me* :)
Screenshot_20161219-171203.jpg

Lastly the trip plans changed, we won't have enough time to do cali, so VA -> OH -> Denver -> unknown -> expo west -> grand canyons -> towards memphis -> Nashville -> Roanoke va ->home ? maybe 24 days?

Last edited:

Ds4x4

Observer
Been pretty busy accumulating parts and planning in anticipation of the big trip to the expo in may... anywho, skipped installinh switches in the overhead as my buddy found a great alternative relay controller. Installed the dual battery setup and controller for that, put the flood lights on the rack and ordered up some new black rims.

Dual setup just needs to get some loom.
20161228_163618.jpg

Modified a relay controller made specifically for the JK to work for me and fit in the console.
Before -
Screenshot_20161229-012813.jpg
After -
20161228_205430.jpg

20161228_224242.jpg20161228_224232.jpg
Mounted the relay box off of the rad support
4d5eedfe5b61d9abafbdb33a0d408d8b.jpg

Just enough room to not touch, a little heat and muscle to bend the brackets helped.
With the hood closed -
dfae4de5eebecc0f1dfd9f0c787b51e7.jpg

Procomp floods mounted
20161223_165820.jpg
20161223_172404.jpg

Next is tidying up some wiring and running a fuse box to the cap. Also looking to build a nifty fridge slide and stove slide out.
20161224_131927.jpg

Wilbah

Adventurer
I like your build! I think full size vehicles offer lots of different choices which make them great platforms for this. Of course they have some limitations too but what vehicle doesn't. Thanks for posting this.

Ds4x4

Observer
Any pictures of the mount for the fuse block install?
I haven't mounted the fuse block in the engine bay or the cap yet. I just got the 1/2" Abs plastic in yesterday. I'm thinking I'll drill 4 holes in the arms for the stock fuse box behind the 2nd battery and use bolts with spacers to secure it there. Haven't decided on the cap location quite yet.

TJRICE3333

IMG_2833.jpg

I really like all of the info you've got here! I just picked up this '14 Silverado double cab. Really going to miss it but I have to sell my '08 Colorado so I can start building this one up. What tires did yours come with from the factory? Mine has Bridgestone Dueler AT's which have done well so far in the little time I've had it.

Ds4x4

Observer
I'm still running the stock wranglers. They're good for the street but not going to help at all offroad. I just received the tent today and the bumper will be next. hopefully the end of the month I can order it and then work towards tires since the bumper kinda determines Tire size.

Anywho gunna try and race the snow to get it mounted
Resized_20170105_165016.jpeg

Ds4x4

Observer
Get the tent mounted before the snow, haven't opened it but once so far just to get some pics and check it out. Hopefully be able to get the bumper by the end of the month and then work on the tires.

Enjoy
20170108_153830.jpg20170108_153950.jpg
5625df73f4d84b2005a15a69bbf44d31.jpg
6bf83ee99b1d2839c3a360ccd8aea3b8.jpg

I also had picked up the rims
3cca8888103706cc0f75e0421692af77.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member