AT Tacoma Habitat: Official Thread

Waterproof

So I read through all 40 some pages and only saw a couple mentions about it being good in light rain and drying after 20 minutes or so in the sun. Mario, is it in any way vented so it will dry while closed driving along? How will it do under prolonged significant downpouring rainstorms (northern canada/Alaska and Central America rainy season). I have no doubt how well it will hold up under a normal rainstorm but the constant every day raining is my question. Will the thicker olive 400gsm fabric hold up better under that kind of weather? Thanks

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
The new fabric we are using whether it be the 260 or 400 GSM is impervious to moisture as it is a Teflon impregnated polyester. The previous fabric was a cotton/poly blend but we no longer use it. The only "drying" needed is for the water droplets to be evacuated before long term storage. I have no reservations about this fabric being used in an environment like the PNW. Care of the tent would be the same as any high quality ground tent: Clean and air it out when practicable.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

inv3ctiv3

Adventurer
The new fabric we are using whether it be the 260 or 400 GSM is impervious to moisture as it is a Teflon impregnated polyester. The previous fabric was a cotton/poly blend but we no longer use it. The only "drying" needed is for the water droplets to be evacuated before long term storage. I have no reservations about this fabric being used in an environment like the PNW. Care of the tent would be the same as any high quality ground tent: Clean and air it out when practicable.

I wish you guys could make a new tent for the Flippac out of this same material! I think a lot of FP owners would upgrade (which I realize is probably why you don't do that cause you want people to buy Habitats haha)

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I wish you guys could make a new tent for the Flippac out of this same material! I think a lot of FP owners would upgrade (which I realize is probably why you don't do that cause you want people to buy Habitats haha)

Designing a new tent is a very expensive process. To give you some idea the, Habitat tent was designed by Nemo for the JK Habitat and used a polycotton material. We went through three prototypes before we were happy with the way the tent turned out. When we amortized the cost into the production runs the tents were in the $1500.00 region each.

When we changed the material we made the tents from for the Tacoma Habitat we went through two more prototypes, amortizing the costs into a production run of 100 tents the cost were in the $950.00 per tent.

To make tents for the Flip Pac and amortize the design and prototyping over 100 tents I think you'd be looking at around $1200.00 per tent.

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
What bedding is a good fit? Does Nemo have any good options?
We like the Nemo Stratos series of bags. Rectangular and zip together. Perfect fit for the Habitat width.

inv3ctiv3

Adventurer
Designing a new tent is a very expensive process. To give you some idea the, Habitat tent was designed by Nemo for the JK Habitat and used a polycotton material. We went through three prototypes before we were happy with the way the tent turned out. When we amortized the cost into the production runs the tents were in the $1500.00 region each.

When we changed the material we made the tents from for the Tacoma Habitat we went through two more prototypes, amortizing the costs into a production run of 100 tents the cost were in the $950.00 per tent.

To make tents for the Flip Pac and amortize the design and prototyping over 100 tents I think you'd be looking at around $1200.00 per tent.

Yea I understand it'd be expensive but I'd honestly consider it at $1200 because as well all know one of the major downfalls of the FP is the tent and rainfly situation. $1200ish isn't bad for a waterproof tent and not have to deal with the fly or getting wet in the middle of the night! I bet if you put a feeler thread out there a lot of FP owners would get in on it me being one of them.

I just got my new Habtat home. We haven't really put it to use yet, but I love that it fits (just barely) in my garage.

I don't think that there are many other overlanding rigs that will fit in a normal sized garage. This is a big deal for us. I was worried about removing and reinstalling every time we left town.

46f8f18a45eb745491f463f74023c031.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you know your garage door height? Stock wheels and tires? Considering going this route and want to make sure it fits in the garage. Thanks in advance.

Herrawesome

Do you know your garage door height? Stock wheels and tires? Considering going this route and want to make sure it fits in the garage. Thanks in advance.

It's very, VERY close to the top. Everything is stock and the door is 80.5" high. You may be able to tell that I had to remove 1/4" piece of trim.

We measured before purchasing and I was sure that it wouldn't fit. The truck is our only vehicle, so it's pretty incredible to have one vehicle for commuting, grocery shopping, and overlanding that still fits in the garage.

Most parking garages are a no go zone.

Herrawesome

It's very, VERY close to the top. Everything is stock and the door is 80.5" high. You may be able to tell that I had to remove 1/4" piece of trim.

We measured before purchasing and I was sure that it wouldn't fit. The truck is our only vehicle, so it's pretty incredible to have one vehicle for commuting, grocery shopping, and overlanding that still fits in the garage.

Most parking garages are a no go zone.

18c1d8cd1251ebba4a43779aa3304b95.jpg

It's also a great beach camper!

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Almost the whole of our shop is currently being used to built Habitats.

Working hard to get these ten built we have twenty more coming behind them.

IMG_0766.jpg

IMG_0767.jpg

IMG_0682.jpg

IMG_0681.jpg

IMG_0680.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12