Ski Bum Truck V2.0, F450 Rough Road RV

java

Expedition Leader
Don't know if I missed it, will you be putting air suspension (Kelderman), going to 41s? Etc? Love the build so far!
I wish! Not in the budget any time soon. I do think it could use some larger tires. I was running just about 2k rpms at 60 today.

I sat the cruise control at 55 going up the pass. Ran 30psi boost and no issues holding that speed...... Except dumping in fuel to keep up with the boost!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

bigskypylot

Explorer
I wish! Not in the budget any time soon. I do think it could use some larger tires. I was running just about 2k rpms at 60 today.

I sat the cruise control at 55 going up the pass. Ran 30psi boost and no issues holding that speed...... Except dumping in fuel to keep up with the boost!

One piece at a time :)

Stitebunny

Adventurer
This truck is looking awesome!
Saw your old one and Alpental and met Peter. He was enjoying it!

IMG_3505.jpg

And again on the way down. Wife snapped this one of me going by him.

IMG_3506.jpg

Hope to see the new truck up there sometime! Nice work on it so far!

CoyoteThistle

Adventurer
Bed done, after the first night, im really happy with the Amazon memory foam mattress. so cushy

Do you have a link to the mattress? How do you think it would work doing double duty as seat cushions and mattress? I don't have much experience with memory foam but seems like it might be too soft for sitting on? Wonder what kind of foam the fancy RV's use on convertible beds?? Hmmm...

java

Expedition Leader
Do you have a link to the mattress? How do you think it would work doing double duty as seat cushions and mattress? I don't have much experience with memory foam but seems like it might be too soft for sitting on? Wonder what kind of foam the fancy RV's use on convertible beds?? Hmmm...

Its ~2.5" memory foam, 2.5" medium foam, and 3" eggcrate.

I got the thicker 8" one, but they come thinner. The top is nice and soft, but it still supports sitting on it. I have ours so you can sit on the edge of the bed. It compresses down to half or so when sat on.

EDIT: link helps... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Q7EV29G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Last edited:

java

Expedition Leader
It was reasonably easy to cut with a sharp serrated knife.

33252474976_c7b7f03d66_b.jpg

java

Expedition Leader
OK am i reading this right? Shunt should be between battery negative and loads correct? So i connect all loads (fuse block and inverter) to the system side of the shunt, and the other side goes to battery negative.

Charger negative should also go to system (load) side of shunt??
33169706051_e0d476936e_b.jpg

CoyoteThistle

Adventurer
Looks like that schematic is for monitoring two battery banks, which I think is a pain in most vehicles.

If you want to just monitor your house batteries, everything (chargers, loads and chassis ground) on one side, house battery (-) to the other side of the shunt. That way you measure amps in and out from all charging sources and loads.

Here's my (typical) setup - missing is the cable to the house battery (-) on the right side of the shunt. Other side has cables to chassis and (-) bus bar with solar and all loads (above the shunt).

Hope that makes sense...

java

Expedition Leader
Perfect, that was my understanding as well. Their diagram is terrible....

Gotta find some battery lug crimpers now

java

Expedition Leader
A little more progress last night. Gas strut installed on the bed. Only ended up needing one. Seems to work just fine.
32454926504_e724aedfe4_b.jpg

Pretty decent storage access. I may put a divider in to keep things from migrating towards the back...
33169707121_00ab35c16c_b.jpg

Poop tank valve going on. What a huge PITA. When the company wants to sell you a bag os abs shavings just buy it.... I spent a long time with a piece of pipe and a paddle bit making shavings. I didn't realize how much it would take....
33297879525_a64bbceb1c_b.jpg

mmmm goobery
32454925064_aa46fec02f_b.jpg

Last edited:

gtbensley

Explorer
I havent checked this thread in a week until today. Wow you have gotten some serious work done on it, glad to see you have already been out using it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger