Ursa Minor Pop-Top Jeep JK

MizMoosie

Observer
You know, if we get more than 3 J30's in the northern Midwest, we can have a rally! I have a couple of "go to" spots in the Superior National Forest that would be perfect!

Boat.man

Builder of Jeep stuff
Good questions. When you stop by to check it out, I can offer some tips to make the midnight bathroom exit a little easier with 2 up top. I also carry a little folding stool to make entry and exit a little easier. So easy in fact that my 65lb poodle makes it look easy!

I simply forget it is on the Jeep. As you suggested, it is super nice to pull off in a national forest 2 track and make a quick home for the night.

Thank you! we are really excited to see yours this weekend and get your feedback!

zimm

Expedition Leader
Gas spring upgrades are available from Ursa Minor. The J30 comes with 100lb (x2) springs by default. I plan to carry my 45lb kayak for much of the time this season, so I upgraded to the middle option: 120lb springs. At the upper end, they have 140lb springs available, which should help accommodate a relatively heavy load on the roof, but they might (speculation) make it difficult to lower the lid when unladen.

The 100lb springs were completely inadequate for my 45lb kayak. The prop rod was absolutely necessary to keep the lid elevated. I've completed the spring upgrade to 120lb springs, but I have yet to install my kayak and test.

i would think a cheap set of pulley's and some eyehooks would permit a child to close it.

KellyM

Adventurer
I like the fact that when running down the road or trail it does not take anything away from the ride and drive of the Jeep, Is that true? I like how simple it is. I have a couple questions for the group please.
For 2 adults that are 50+ average build is there enough room be comfortable up there or you "spooning" all night?
Getting up in the middle of the night for a bathroom break... It sounds like a really big deal, any thoughts?
And just the act of climbing into the back of the Jeep then threw the hatch with a fridge and other gear in the back.
I know that everything is a compromise. My Jeep JK will never be a 40' motor home and I love the face that it can take us to the most amazing places on the planet. I just need a little push over the edge to place my order!

Thanks for the input!

Boat.man

My thoughts after having our J30 for 3 years:

You will want to upgrade the suspension if you are still running stock. Once you do that, the J30 doesn't really take away from the ride and drive of the jeep.

While it is cozy with my wife and me in it, it is still comfortable for us. We are in our 50s and 60s and I am not small.

We use an external telescoping ladder now. It made all the difference in the world. It was a pain to crawl up through the hatches for us. We have a fridge and stove in the back as well, and invariably at camp the back seat area was full of duffel bags and miscellaneous jackets, shoes and dry food. Here is a picture of our ladder setup. It is not connected to the top, but is very secure.

We really like the J30 when it is just the two of us. If we bring our two dogs with us, the Jeep and the J30 is a little small.

Attachments

• DSC00752 (3).jpg
    DSC00752 (3).jpg
    582.5 KB · Views: 95

Charlie56

Adventurer
My thoughts after having our J30 for 3 years:

You will want to upgrade the suspension if you are still running stock. Once you do that, the J30 doesn't really take away from the ride and drive of the jeep.
While it is cozy with my wife and me in it, it is still comfortable for us. We are in our 50s and 60s and I am not small.
We use an external telescoping ladder now. It made all the difference in the world. It was a pain to crawl up through the hatches for us. We have a fridge and stove in the back as well, and invariably at camp the back seat area was full of duffel bags and miscellaneous jackets, shoes and dry food. Here is a picture of our ladder setup. It is not connected to the top, but is very secure.
We really like the J30 when it is just the two of us. If we bring our two dogs with us, the Jeep and the J30 is a little small.

Ditto exactly what KellyM said. Including the I am not small part.
We gave up on the interior hatches for general access long ago. It works OK if I am out by myself.
Jeep Ladder.jpg

venture4wd

Supporting Sponsor
Just to provide an update on the 100 to 120lb gas spring upgrade, I tried deploying the J30 with my 45lb kayak installed, and the new 120lb struts supported the load very well. The kayak was too heavy for the original 100lb struts, and wouldn't support the load unassisted.

I'm happy! :D

uHFsGGn.jpg

Boat.man

Builder of Jeep stuff
Thank you! we are really excited to see yours this weekend and get your feedback!

Good questions. When you stop by to check it out, I can offer some tips to make the midnight bathroom exit a little easier with 2 up top. I also carry a little folding stool to make entry and exit a little easier. So easy in fact that my 65lb poodle makes it look easy!

I simply forget it is on the Jeep. As you suggested, it is super nice to pull off in a national forest 2 track and make a quick home for the night.

Thank you MizMoosie for letting us take a look at your J30 and pick your brain about it!
I have to say that the top is way better in person! Pictures and youtube do NOT do it justice! The sleeping area is way more roomy than we thought! Very well made and well thought out!

Thanks again!

Boat.man

MizMoosie

Observer
Could you share the cliff notes version of how you deal with getting up at night with two people in the camper?

I can't help you with that. Never had 2 up top. I regularly sleep with a 65lb poodle in the top. She will sleep on one side and is not disturbed when I get up during the night. I don't think it would be too hard to sit toward the back of the jeep on your side of the camper and lift the hatch on your side of the camper and slide it toward the front of the jeep. Drop down and do your business. Cliff notes version...:)

OldCrow

The J30 will fit 2017 JKU's right? It's the 2018 model that will change such that current J30's won't fit?

I had a 2013 with a J30 and convinced myself that I needed a full sized truck. Wishing I still had my Jeep and may do something about it...

TIA!

rubicon91

Explorer
The J30 will fit 2017 JKU's right? It's the 2018 model that will change such that current J30's won't fit?

I had a 2013 with a J30 and convinced myself that I needed a full sized truck. Wishing I still had my Jeep and may do something about it...

TIA!
Yes they will fit the 17s. I actually am working with John on a price quote for my 17. Thinking of selling my trailer and going to a J30.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Edroid

Mattress Topper for J30?

I will admit it, I am spoiled (or maybe just old) as hell and don't find the J30 bed to be very comfortable.

Has anyone tried a mattress topper or something else to make the bed a bit more comfy?

Amazon has dozens of 2" and 3" mattress toppers of various density for sale. Seems like a 2" would fit when the top is down.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Ed

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman