My 02 Avalanche NFE

Stryder106

Explorer
Hey Bear,

Eibach does specialize in road performance kits - they make every single spring for NASCAR. But, they also do Jeep lift kits and some others, and regular performance improvement. Bottom line is you won't find a better spring anywhere than from Eibach. They make Pro Truck Sport shocks for our vehicles (mine was the project truck for them) as well as more stout anti-sway bars. Strutmaster shipped pretty quick. And correct, I don't have them on just yet - ideally they are going on this weekend, but of course the forecast says rain.

Bear in NM

Adventurer
Stryder,

Thanks again. I have a call into strutmaster right now for a call back to discuss their options and pricing. It's a little hard to see what kind of options I have on their web page, as when I use 02 Avalanche, only a couple of parts come up. I saw the sway bars when I was fiddling around on their page last night, but cannot find them again. Hoping the technician can guide me a bit, once I tell him what I want to achieve.

Craig

Edit: Just got off the phone with their tech. The spring is a direct replacement to oem as far as rate etc. They want 279.00 for the hummer rear springs. OEM springs run about 200 for the pair, so it looks like 80 or so bucks more for what might be a better spring. Their kit with springs and air bags runs about 500 bucks, which would be a huge mark up from going with either Strutmaster Eibach or GM oem. I should be able to get the air kit for around a hundred bucks.

So, it looks like I will be waiting on your install of these springs, to see what you think. And I am not in and of itself looking for additional lift, but weight control with a lot of tongue weight. And please, no more Av pictures of your rig. Mine is cladded, so I cannot do what you have done, but coming from the Jeep world, if I had the options, I probably would try ;^) I love what you have done.

Last edited:

Stryder106

Explorer
Mine is cladded as well. I'm not necessarily looking for any lift either - just don't want any sag from the weight.

Bear in NM

Adventurer
No, yours is half nekkid up front, mine is fully clothed ;^) My problem is that I live in the middle of no where, and I do not weld. I would love to have someone work with me on my front end, even cutting into the cladding, but I am kinda dead ended. I love the cladding, and have put it to the test several times, but that front lower side with the fog lights is a real liability off road. I know why you attacked yours......

Good luck with the weather and modding this weekend. It is sunny and nice here, and I picked up a new solar charge controller for my trailer to keep me busy.

Craig

Stryder106

Explorer
The mods continue. Sneak peak of the new rear shocks. 2.0 body, 7/8" shafts, external bypass (adjustable), and custom valving. You can also see the trussing to strengthen the rear diff.
Shocks1.jpg

Front shocks.
Shocks3.jpg

Bear in NM

Adventurer
Yes, those look good. Nice to see mod's that are done right. I sure made my share of mistakes early on with my Jeep, adding the latest "gotta have". Took more than a few years and dumb decisions to figure things out.

Any luck with the new springs? I cannot see red in the pictures ;^) Here in NM, we get the weather a couple of days after you all on the coast, and it has been a brutal rain week.

Craig

Stryder106

Explorer
Thanks. Springs are in - suspension is done. This thing now handles and rides like it should have - stout. Two big dips on either side of an intersection - hit them at 60 and they just soak them up. The new shocks and springs added about an inch in the front and 1.5" in the rear - sits perfectly level. I sat on the back of truck (250#) and it didn't even move. Happy camper.

LOTS of pics coming tomorrow as this was a huge mod evolution for me: suspension, new roofrack, new lights, reconfiged front bumper, new over bed rack for RTT, and new center console (the forward part so far), and new sliders. All of it fabbed. Except for the new ham radio - but that was one of the key drivers for the fabbed console.

Bear in NM

Adventurer
Thanks a lot for the update. I have the contact email from Stutmaster with parts, all ready to order. I hope they can get them to me before next weekend. I am probably going to need new shocks, but hope that the Rancho 9000's I put in last year will work better, with stiffer springs.

Craig

Stryder106

Explorer
Update time. First up - the suspension. Our desire to start stretching our range has led to the decision to add a RTT and a fridge / freezer. To enable the RTT, I have to fab an overbed rack. To handle the increased time in the bush - there will be more fluids and supplies along with the fridge. All of that adds up to more weight. Add in the increased driving distances off-road (or off piste - that's what happens when you read the older Overland Journals - LOL). I've mentioned before that I'm fortunate enough to have a lifelong friend who designs suspension for one of the biggest and best shock and spring manufacturers on the planet. After months and months of research - the decision was made: We would add the Spohn Performance rear control arms (upper and lower) to add more strength and adjustability (I've already shown those pics previously). Another add for the weight was H1 progressive springs from Strutmaster (manufactured by Eibach). To control the rig with more weight and to deal with the increased liklelihood of shock fade, we decided to use his expertise and come up with something that is a bit of a hybrid The shocks are Fox - but they are a bit of hybrid. Essentially, they are a 2.0 body, with 2.5 internals, 7/8" shafts, big external reservoirs, and custom valving for my truck and driving style. They are also bigger than the stock size shock and are sized for a 3.5" lift (which I don't have) - but with the CST leveling keys and other stuff - I'm +2.5. With the new shocks and springs - my truck now sits +1" higher than it did before. From ground to bottom of fender is now 40.5". Did I mention they are adjustable? Once I get the RTT and fridge mounted - I'll fully load the truck and we'll test it and adjust/revalve if needed. These things are pretty ************ as they are though.
Front
IMG_1131.jpg
Rear
IMG_1141.jpg
IMG_1142.jpg
IMG_1144.jpg
Some love for the new Hummer springs. Notice - we also strengthened the rear differential by trussing it. You also get a good look at my fabbed rear track bar. It's beefy - that heim is 1.25".
IMG_1143.jpg

Stryder106

Explorer
Next up - the roof rack. I was using a Smittybilt Defender basket and it did a fine job for what it is. But, as I gain more experience, I'm learning what I like and want. I wanted something stout, full length and width, lower profile, mounted to my roof (rather than the factory roof bars), a fully accessible sunroof opening so that I can: 1) Standup through it; 2) Climb up through it; 3) Just enjoy the full view through my sunroof without a series of bars cutting across it. After reading one of the older Overland Journals - I was struck by the design of the Gobi Rack. Stout - and nearly everything I wanted - particularly heavy duty and with the sunroof access. However, they also reviewed the ARB rack - and it had the wide mesh to enable fully walking, sleeping, sitting, or unlimited tie down locations. I wanted both, but neither are made for my Avalanche. So - I sat down with my buddy (same suspension guy - who is also a lifelong fab guy - yah - he was THAT kid when we were growing up) told him what I wanted, showed him pics of both and what I wanted. I also had an Amazon Chinese special light bar on my roof - I never liked it. It was a flood / spot combo and would really reflect off my hood at night. It also sucked up water and committed suicide. More on my lighting changes later, but you will see the changes to the roof - front spot only bars with side floods for scene lighting. I weight 250 (right now - ugh) but I can walk on it and it does not flex at all. WE also mounted it on rubber mounts to give it a little shock relief. We also made a mounting tab for the new ham antenna.
https://www.snapfish.com/library/ph...ateDate","pgvw":"siav","aid":122807077193070}
//
Also made a mount for my Lowrance external antenna.

EDIT - not sure why - but I suddenly can't upload pics - so will edit this post once I figure out what's going on.
Suffice it to say - I'm really happy with my new roof rack. I can go up there and pretend that I'm in Africa looking for the Big Cats................one day. LOL

Last edited:

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Wow:Wow1:some pretty impresive and cool upgrades Stryder. That must make for a completly different vehicle to drive. Me like. Cheers, Chilli..:)

rayra

Expedition Leader
what sort of height / stance change did you wind up with after you put the new H2 springs in?

boll_rig

Adventurer
Hey Stryder, great looking Avalanche.

I'm curious to know how the H2 springs feel. Does the ride feel noticeably stiffer now or is it still comfortable? Looking to swap my suburban with either z71 springs or these H2's and can't make up my mind. I don't want them too stiff feeling, but also have a lot of weight on my rig. Thanks!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12