My 02 Avalanche NFE

Stryder106

Explorer
So sick, I love it! How did you attach the forward part of the rack between the pillars? Truly well built, I dig that you cut the storage lids to stay functional, any water getting in?
On the rack - removed the plastic to gain access to the metal underneath. A lot of folks don't realize it but that sail panel is actually designed to function as a roll bar so it's pretty stout underneath the plastic. Undecided right now as to how I'm attaching. Original thought was to weld it in, but then I started thinking about being able to remove it. So, working up a bolt config now. Still thinking it through............
//
As far as the storage lids - no water gets in as that overhang that I cut is simply that - a cosmetic overhang. The gasket sits inboard of that cut.

Stryder106

Explorer
Work continues on the: Overbed rack for the RTT, sliders are done, roof rack is done, shocks are done, rearend truss is done. Just picked up a few more goodies:

Hummer Springs made by Eibach to handle the increased weight of the racks, RTT, fridge, etc. The demands of longer duration - longer distance overlanding............... These puppies are big - I wear a size 12.5 shoe.
IMG_1096.jpg
//
Both of my Chinese light bars need to be replaced. The roof mount 50" sucked up moisture and has committed suicide. While my 34" bumper bar took a rock and broke the lens. to it's credit it still works but the lens cracks cause the light to scatter everywhere but forward. So, I got a smokin' deal from HappyKamper and picked up these two ARB21 Intensity lights. Both are floods, but I'm swapping one out for a spot. The spot/flood combo should give me plenty of light both up close and at distance. I'm hoping that these two lights (which will be mounted on my bumper) will allow me to lose the rooftop light bar as these are supposedly seriously bright. We'll see how the config comes out.
IMG_1097.jpg

Stryder106

Explorer
Here's a sneak peak of the new sliders. I'm not a fan of things that hang down and since I'm not running a lift kit - keeping things as high and tight as possible was the priority. Can't get much tighter than this.
Shocks2.jpg

Stryder106

Explorer
A few more sneak peaks of the RTT rack. Got the Rotopax dual mount fabbed in. The trick on both sides of the rack is to have the stuff far enough inboard that I can still access my saddlebag storage, high enough up that I can remove the caps, and far enough out that I can load stuff on top of my caps if I need to.
BedRack3.jpg
Added in tabs for scene lighting and it's now heading for powder coat this week.

Stryder106

Explorer
Another feature that we built into the rack - a table slide. Was at Front Runner and picked up their very cool camp/safari table. NOTE: If you are looking at the shorter one that is $100 and you decide that it is slightly too short for cooking and opt for the 2": taller and slightly wider version - make sure you check the price. I just guessed at ~$150 given the $100 anchor price on the other table - and just said "I'll take that one". Well - $400 later................I do have a nice table though.
//
I digress, I wanted a way to carry the table out of the way of everything else. We took it on our recent trek through Death Valley and every time I hit a bump I could hear the table bouncing around. This will keep it in place, out of the way, and easily accessible. Here it is loaded into the rack.
BedRack2.jpg

rayra

Expedition Leader
Can you extend the table slide like an overhead shade? I mean is it trapped so it doesn't tip down when extended a great deal? I mean as long as you are fabbing, it's a good opportunity to do so. Likewise some attachment rings / locations for an awning or other vehicle-attached shade rig.

Serious looking progressive-rate springs. I don't even want to ask how much. I'm doing a test haul with my neighbor's Evolution II camper trailer later this month. I suspect the amount of squat I'll get is going to push me over into pursuing H2 springs. Or seriously shopping an air bag solution.

Stryder106

Explorer
I am going to be fabbing in attachment points for an awning. I had to change my original plan of opening the RTT over the rear as it would be 60" wide and the roof line of my Av just over 50" wide. I didn't want my RTT getting smacked and torn up by stuff, so reconfigured to now open off the side. Looking at the new Rhino Rack Dome 1300 awning to come off the back as it stores at 49" wide, but extends out to 94" wide. Like I said - lots still in progress.
//
Rayra - depending on how these coils work out - I may be selling my Air Lift 1000# system. I'll let you know.

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Interesting - I'll take a close look at these. Thanks!!!

No worries. There are all different types and angles. I had an '04 Avalanche and took the sail panel covers off trying to figure out exactly what you're doing now. One of the best, most versatile rigs I have owned.

IMG00165-20110719-1602_zpsf5acc166.jpg

Bear in NM

Adventurer
Stryder,

Any chance you can give more info on those Eibach springs? I also have an 02 that I need new rear springs. I have the GM part numbers for the Hummer GM springs, but would like to take a serious look at those Eibach's you posted.

Thanks,

Craig

Stryder106

Explorer
Bear,
The springs are made by Eibach for Strutmaster - so you order from Strutmaster - the part number is HA1R0. Seriously stout and nice looking to boot (Eibach red) and they have both the Strutmaster and Eibach logos on them.

Stryder106

Explorer
No worries. There are all different types and angles. I had an '04 Avalanche and took the sail panel covers off trying to figure out exactly what you're doing now. One of the best, most versatile rigs I have owned.

IMG00165-20110719-1602_zpsf5acc166.jpg

Couldn't agree more. I actually am really baffled that no one uses them for overlanding - particularly in North America. It's a whole lot cheaper than a Land Rover or Land Cruiser or Jeep, has more power, more torque, more room, just as much capacity (more with a few mods), and has more unique config opportunities : saddlebag storage, bed access from the front, locking caps to load under and on, etc, etc. Plus, you can find parts for these pretty much anywhere. It's body on frame, and given the rear is a solid piece with the main body - no flex.
//
Granted, GM did not put the most stout parts in them, but I've been able to cobble together enough stuff to overcome the weakpoints.

Bear in NM

Adventurer
Bear,
The springs are made by Eibach for Strutmaster - so you order from Strutmaster - the part number is HA1R0. Seriously stout and nice looking to boot (Eibach red) and they have both the Strutmaster and Eibach logos on them.

Stryder,

Thank you for the info. I'll give them a call tomorrow to chat. What has me curious is that Eibach appears to cater to performance, and what looks like lowering and full design for more "sporty" handling. I am looking for load/weight control with my loading and trailering. When I punched in the part number, I saw the springs as standalone, and a kit with compressor, springs and airbags, with a "call for pricing" label. As I was thinking stock H2 springs and air, this might be a one order deal.

I am guessing you have not installed these yet, to have any feedback on how they handle the weight of your cool rack system? Was strutmaster prompt on order/delivery?

On a side note, I did the Yakima rack install on my panels, to tote my solar panel. Probably gonna do one of the skinny racks to fit beside the panel, to handle things like my chainsaw. And yes, the Avalanche is astoundingly useful for offroading/camping. Mine has replaced a Wrangler, and I have zero regrets, other than not getting one sooner.

Craig

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12