Intech RV

Matt.H

Adventurer
Great response Rich. It turns out that one of my camping crew has the "clearance" problem. He's been notified by the dealer that they will be installing the lift kit at no charge. I'm fortunate not to have the issue. Still waiting for the lift to arrive though...

Getting the new lift instead of the moving fenders and putting new/additional holes in the skin is what I would want. One of my major preferences is as few screws going through the skin as possible.

Class act way to fix a problem.

Shooter235

I've had a Max Flyer ordered for over 2 months now. Was told it would be a 6-8 week wait when the order was placed. Now being told it will not arrive until July. I have had a VIN since mid April. Has anyone else had to wait this long.

Pressurized

I've had a Max Flyer ordered for over 2 months now. Was told it would be a 6-8 week wait when the order was placed. Now being told it will not arrive until July. I have had a VIN since mid April. Has anyone else had to wait this long.

Mine arrived 6 weeks AFTER it was completed. It's a transportation issue. They can't just ship 1 trailer across the country... They need to have a full load going in your direction before it will ship.

Matt.H

Adventurer

If it is a transportation issue see if they have a delivery going out from their Trailer Division to somewhere near you. It is worth asking. Best of luck.

MrOffshore

Observer
Hey guys, I certainly can understand the frustration of having to wait for your MAX Flyer when you're ready to get out and do some camping and find the next great campsite...it's certainly not in our wishes to delay the adventure. Being a smaller manufacturer with a concerted effort of building the absolute finest products available we do everything possible to maintain levels of quality that simply are not found in other RV's. Sometimes that means taking a little longer to get production to the levels that support our demand. We felt like we planned pretty well...we were expecting to be in our new 42,000 square facility in February (we were told January, but banked on February trying to be a little more realistic)...that didn't happen. A colder than expected winter and a wetter than expected spring kept the project from moving forward as quickly as we would have wished for...and ultimately we were unable to move production into the new facility until early May. That said, we're out of our 8000 square foot annex that runs along our sister companies much larger 94,000 facility (so yes, we're a real company for sure) and into our new building. We are just finishing the offices now and getting our occupation permit...but production is up and running and taking advantages of the efficiencies that come with more space, better material handling and improved production processes. We will also being a few new production staff over the next several months to increase production without sacrificing quality. We knew were had something special with our Flyers, but we didn't see the success being as great as it has been.

So, all of this said, we sincerely appreciate your patience and we want you to know that we are building a camper that you can own for a lifetime. We will remain committed to each and every customer, to each and every Flyer that we build to maintain the same stringent quality control that has helped us to realize such great and early success. Our promise to you is that our products will be worth the wait.

I've been on this forum for quite a few years, I joined when I bought my first Land Cruiser...this is actually the forum that inspired me to create the Flyer products, so for that I thank each and every member of this forum. I appreciate the feedback and more importantly I appreciate the expert knowledge of so many people who were friendly and helpful enough to give me their valuable advice. There is a lot more to come from inTech as I have a deep seeded passion for expedition style trailers and small campers in general. We are always open to your input and appreciate you taking the time to let us know your thoughts. If any of you would like to speak with me personally, please don't hesitate to call me at 574-773-9536 ext. 11. Thanks again for everything!

Can you expand on the metal frame a little more? When talking teardrops with some companies in trying to decide on a trailer several of them said they do not recommend a metal frame with wood or insulation tied to it as when temperatures go from cold to warm or warm to cold that condensation forms on the metal parts including the frame. When the condensation melts off it seeps into the wood and insulation and can cause mold after some time. They said this is why teardrops and other similar sized units don't use metal frames. No idea of this is a bunch of BS or not. Can you shed some light on this Rich?

jscusmcvet

Explorer
If it is independent axle can't you just take the suspension off and weld in blocks then reattach the suspension?

If it is independent axle can't you just take the suspension off and weld in blocks then reattach the suspension?

Depends on the side mounting plates on the axle . Some just have a flange that you bolt from the bottom to your channel or you can get a axle with that flange and a side mount plate and you bolt each side in 4 spots . Not sure how InTech has their axle installed though

Pressurized

Yes, you could easily do your own lift. I was going to do mine with 2x3 rectangular aluminum stock, but decided the Dexter lift kit at $50 is a great start.

MrOffshore

Observer
Here's an image of our frame to give you a good idea as to what we're building...as you can see it is all-aluminum, all-tube...full cage frame for maximum strength. (read below image for more information and details).

new-cage.jpg

This image shows the bubble foil insulation. The insulation is mounted to the side walls before they are installed, this give full coverage and in most areas isolates the wood from the aluminum tubing...we do this for full coverage, not to purposely keep the wood from touching the aluminum. We have been building aluminum trailers since 2010 without any issues resulting from condensation or mold. In an interior aluminum skinned trailer you will/can get condensation to form on the interior walls with big temperature differences, but it is not forming inside the walls. I have never heard of the issue that you're describing but would think it's a sales tactic to explain why their method of building is better. I think it would be difficult to argue that a full cage frame isn't the best way to go, especially if you plan on encountering rough terrain. I don't necessarily believe that the way typical RV's are built is a bad thing or wrong, they build them that way to keep costs down, speed up production and maximize profits. The majority (and I mean over 95% of the manufacturers) build their RV's in a much different way than inTech RV. Companies whose focus is quantity over quality try to build their RV's for the lowest price possible, as quickly as possible and then compete in a market flooded with "me too" products. Most of the time these are large companies producing enormous numbers of RV's every year. For inTech, we focus our efforts on a smaller niche market...one where the customer is actually willing to pay a little more to have a very high quality product. I've always believed it's easier to explain my price one time rather than make excuses for my poor quality repeatedly. Our goal is never to be the biggest...our focus is on trying to be the best.

IMG_4563.jpg

IMG_6759.jpg

In the above picture you can see how we isolate the 3/4" premium plywood from the frame and outside elements...we use a layer of corrugated plastic above the frame, but below the wood. This layer provides protection from water and road debris. We use untreated premium 3/4" plywood because it is able to absorb the glues that we use to adhere the interior flooring. If we used a treated wood or a product like Adventech which would have much better rot resistance, the glues would not hold the flooring down...it's already to saturated with the chemicals that protect the wood from rotting. You read right above...we use 3/4" plywood...even in our products that you simply crawl into and sleep. I don't know of any RV's out there (including big Class A Motorhomes) that use 3/4" plywood...they all use 5/8" plywood on a framing system that is closer to 24" on center rather than 16"...and with spans that large on a thinner plywood the floor will feel very spongy. Go down to your local RV dealer and see for yourself, you'll be amazed at just how mushy the floors are when you walk across them. There's a right way to do things...and then there's the wrong way to do things...unfortunately, far too often our industry chooses the less expensive wrong way to do things. I don't mean to be picking on the industry in general, but the competition in each segment where RV manufacturers are battling for customers has gotten very tight...and that competition is driving quality and price down. On the surface the consumer loves the idea of getting into a 24' camper for under $15,000...that is until they own for a year, then they start to realize that their $15,000 didn't really get them what they thought they were buying.

I've always loved this saying..."There is hardly anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper...and the people who consider price only are his legitimate prey." I know your question wasn't really revolving around price or quality, but it's hard to delve into how and why we build what we build without touching on it. We like to think that what we're building is a lifetime product that you can either hand down or when you choose to sell it, it's actually worth something. I hope this explained a little bit of what you were asking, but please let me know if you have any other questions, I appreciate the interest!!

Can you expand on the metal frame a little more? When talking teardrops with some companies in trying to decide on a trailer several of them said they do not recommend a metal frame with wood or insulation tied to it as when temperatures go from cold to warm or warm to cold that condensation forms on the metal parts including the frame. When the condensation melts off it seeps into the wood and insulation and can cause mold after some time. They said this is why teardrops and other similar sized units don't use metal frames. No idea of this is a bunch of BS or not. Can you shed some light on this Rich?

MrOffshore

Observer
The Dexter torsion axles come with an aluminum bracket that is welded directly to the frame...the axle is bolted to this aluminum bracket. You could weld in a block to raise the trailer, however you would need to cut out the aluminum bracket and grind down the tube making it smooth so you could weld in the tube/block, then re-weld the bracket back onto the new tube. Some customers have done this, usually you would only do this if you were looking for more lift than you could get from the Dexter lift kit, which is 2-5/8". Remember you can also switch to a 45° down axle and pickup 2" of clearance also...doing it this way keeps the axle tucked up into the frame...using the lift kit, actually drops the tube axle tube down...usually not an issue in the axle/tire area as far as clearance goes.

Pressurized

My friend with the Max Flyer just got his back after service to install the lift kit due to the low fender installation. It looks great and I crawled under and the axle does have a little more gap to the frame, but it barely hangs below the center frame spline. So no real change in "ground clearance", but a big upgrade on ingress and egress clearance which is very important to me. Can't wait to get mine on...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan