GFC vs. Vagabond

aaen

Adventurer
Looks good, so how was this tested for leaks? Garden hose? Pressure washer? Actual field use (not California, you guys don't know what rain is until you go to the PNW), Car wash?

Also how do you take care of the water from the tent material running down? It appears like there would be a trap for the water to sit?

I'm very interested in the product, really like the sliding floor system. Is there any videos up about how to operate it? I didn't see any on your website.

Steve

The CNC formed lower roof is bent up vertically where the bottom of the tent connects. The awning track is attached to that. Older picture. The ends of the tracks are now chamfered and a bit closer together at the leading corners.

sn_85

Observer
In the case of the folks at Treehouse/Snap Outfitters, they apparently own a very successful metalworking/metal supply business, and building of the camper is just a side project they are working on. I think what I heard was that the owner of this metal fab company wanted a camper for retirement, built one, and wants to try copies. I could be completely wrong on all of this, however.

Unlike GFC/AT Overland/Vagabond, the folks behind the Treehouse are about twice the age, and likely only recently discovered Instagram. I also got the feeling it was more of a family affair, and those who build/design the product aren't exactly sales people.

I think some of it is just background and surrounding areas. GFC and Vagabond are decidedly West Coast, Instagram, Forum Heavy companies, largely created by younger guys with a good grasp of media and marketing. You could argue that for a long time, Four Wheel Campers didn't really have good marketing, either, and hell the AT Overland Summit is still a one-off-from-vaporware kinda thing.

Are you **************** me? The AT Overland Summit is a one-off-from vaporware? AT doesn't build or release something unless they know its going to be the gold standard. I have no doubts that Mario Donovan and the crew are applied what they learned from the AT Habitat over to the Summit. Mario is probably in his 50's and has a world of experience. Overland Nerd (Vagabond) has had multiple camper builds over the years and collaborated with Iggy for the Drifter build (not sure what his name on here but he built his own wedge style camper. Check it out on TW). GFC admitted probably has the most youth of the group. And you know what? They all seem more experienced and invested into their projects than the SnapOutfitters Treehouse. I'd rather spend money from companies that make their product a priority rather than as a side project.

Yes a lot of it is an image thing and for that reason Snap should try a HELL of a lot harder to market the Treehouse if they want to make a sale. People want to know if this thing can withstand West Coast style off-roading. They could care less if its good enough for camping in Pennsylvania. It doesn't hold the same curb appeal. As well this is 2018, Instagram and social media are a huge influencer and if you're not advertising on there then you won't be successful. Especially as an unknown start up. Simple as that. That's why Vagabond and GFC are putting as much effort into marketing as they are into product design. AT doesn't need to do that as much since their name and reputation carries so much weight. Image and optics matter and that's the truth sometimes.

That being said, I saw and messed around with all 4 campers at Expo West and the one I liked the least was the Snap Outfitters Treehouse. So there's that too. My 2cents.

danneskjold

Looks good, so how was this tested for leaks? Garden hose? Pressure washer? Actual field use (not California, you guys don't know what rain is until you go to the PNW), Car wash?

Also how do you take care of the water from the tent material running down? It appears like there would be a trap for the water to sit?

I'm very interested in the product, really like the sliding floor system. Is there any videos up about how to operate it? I didn't see any on your website.

Steve

So I'm from the PNW but travelling around the country for work and have had the Vagabond on my truck for exactly 1 month (today I think). It rained a good 1/2 the time I was on the East Coast (a good 3 weeks) including one particular bout of rain + 60mph winds and I've had zero problem with water intrusion.
I've been inside it for several nights while raining and have also had zero problems with rain.

One of the unique features of the Vagabond offering is the triple layered windows they have - the clear vinyl window allows you to stay dry but still see what's going on outside and let natural light in. Previously you would have to just zip the privacy window shut if you didn't want any weather inside.

I also get a kick out of people from CA talking about how water proof stuff is but in this case Overlanerd is right.

aaen

Adventurer
Im more worried about waterproofness while driving then camping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danneskjold

So on Monday I had the unfortunate experience of crash testing my Vagabond Drifter.

While driving down a dirt road near Toponos, CO I took an incline turn too wide and flopped my truck on its side. The Drifter likely prevented me from rolling over completely, and I came to rest on the cabover portion of the Drifter. I was incredibly fortunate that my dog and me came away unscathed - if I had rolled completely over I don't think that would have been the case. The Drifter certainly prevented further damage to my dog, my truck, and me and for that I am grateful.

The Drifter sustained only minor injuries, and continues to be used (where I am writing this post from in fact - a body shop in Glennwood Springs). There is a dent in the cab over portion, and the entire camper shifted (you can see this in the photos) - I expected my bed bolts to be broken but instead only one of the c-clamps was busted and a few of the bolts were bent.
There's been some discussion about the structural integrity of the Drifter and after this I really have no doubt that it's incredibly strong. There is an absolute ton of bends, folds, and welds inside that all contribute to the structural integrity of it. A couple bent bolts and a minor dent are pretty impressive. The fact that the gas struts were on the inside, and that the folds and bends in the aluminum extend entirely around the camper I think are the keys in minimizing the damage I imagine.

My truck was not so lucky. The side airbags deployed and it laid on the driver side for around 5 hours (I was 40 miles from cell service) and we can't get the engine started. The spark plugs have all been pulled (it was hydrolocked), and it's been manually turned with a wrench (so it's not seized) but there's something electronic preventing it from cranking (it acts like it has a dead battery, starter doesn't even engage but fuel pump is active). Basically if we can get the engine going insurance will repair it, otherwise it's probably a loss. It's a 2017 Tacoma with about 30k miles on it.

I'll end with two notes -

I've been driving on dirt and forest roads since before I had my license, so I'm not new to it. I definitely got complacent, and likely didn't pay enough attention to the road. As you can see it was a beautifully graded dirt road where a Honda Civic would have had no problem. It seems obvious, but always pay attention and don't become complacent.

I'd recommend everything have some form of bailout/overnight bag in their cab with them. I'm not talking a threeper bag, but a bag that contains everything you would need for you and your family or pets if you had to walk out. I didn't have access to my bed for over 24 hours and luckily had some dog food, toiletries (contact lenses really), warm jacket, and cash in a bag that I grabbed when I climbed out.

Attachments

• 99BA9B66-648B-4CB9-84B1-4EA6E6104D1C.jpeg
    99BA9B66-648B-4CB9-84B1-4EA6E6104D1C.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 329
  • 5A40B58D-785A-4EF1-B99D-E972674DB5C1.jpeg
    5A40B58D-785A-4EF1-B99D-E972674DB5C1.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 314
  • D5E7F207-1884-48A8-8C86-FC3581348A95.jpeg
    D5E7F207-1884-48A8-8C86-FC3581348A95.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 294
  • 55B744E5-3A0D-48A5-9B13-3F0726F8C776.jpeg
    55B744E5-3A0D-48A5-9B13-3F0726F8C776.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 283
  • F0D39071-A38C-4627-AF8D-04EE32F6BB32.jpeg
    F0D39071-A38C-4627-AF8D-04EE32F6BB32.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 295
  • E2572B3A-F25D-4DD9-8F7B-1B9FEA917674.jpeg
    E2572B3A-F25D-4DD9-8F7B-1B9FEA917674.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 290
  • 0853520D-55A9-4E34-8D7A-52CD0FA4CB65.jpeg
    0853520D-55A9-4E34-8D7A-52CD0FA4CB65.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 269

aaen

Adventurer
Holy crap! Glad your and you and the dog are alright.

Also good to hear the camper is tough, truck no so much it appears. Complacency kills on roads with amazing vistas, doesn’t take much, I’ve caught myself a few times day dreaming while on fsr roads and nearly doing the same thing.

For me it typically is at the start if a trip or near the end.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
So on Monday I had the unfortunate experience of crash testing my Vagabond Drifter.

While driving down a dirt road near Toponos, CO I took an incline turn too wide and flopped my truck on its side. The Drifter likely prevented me from rolling over completely, and I came to rest on the cabover portion of the Drifter. I was incredibly fortunate that my dog and me came away unscathed - if I had rolled completely over I don't think that would have been the case. The Drifter certainly prevented further damage to my dog, my truck, and me and for that I am grateful.

Thanks for your honestly and posting up what many folks would never mention...
I am very glad you and your pup are fine and great point on the ditch bag, thanks the alert on that.
Have you contacted Vagabond about new clamps and giving them feedback for the sake of the future?
Thanks again for posting and I am looking forward to hearing how it all turns out for you, wish I had ideas on the engine but I am too old school to help :)

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Oh and for everyone else...
I have put a deposit on a Snap Treehouse....and I will be giving them lots and lots of feedback and much of it along the lines of what others have mentioned as far as marketing.
One thing that makes me feel a little better is that they are really a family run biz since the 70's that deals with manufacturing.
http://www.die-tech.com/die_tech_overview/

I have spoke with Richard Dennis the guy who seems to be the one who wanted this to happen.
PK who is the money lady that you deal with 1st on the phone. This is definitely a side gig for their main company and they are working out details. The website is run out of house I think and still a work in progress. I have already told them I will be forwarding as many images and video as possible from the Southwest/Baja to balance out the east coast vibe they have now.
Will is the operations manager and he was great to talk with on the phone yesterday. I want a medium to charcoal grey color to go with my Inferno Tacoma and Will is working with the outside powder coat folks to get me color samples.

I am interested in the barn door style rear hatch and looking foward to talking with them about that in regards to dust sealing.

My goal is to pick up the camper at their location in PA around mid August, that is forever in social media/forum time but I will keep everyone posted on how it goes. I have not gotten any sort of deal, no discount and will be giving my honest customer thoughts.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
^ Very interested in your upcoming experience! And if they can build, with "custom" features like barn doors, flip up/down side window(s) with sliding glass for ventilation, ability to accommodate 3-4" thick mattress plus bedding, etc. Thanks Lance for taking one for the team :D

Time for dedicated thread?

Last edited:

chet6.7

Explorer
Glad you and the dog are OK,having a get home bag is a good idea,as is some form of communication in addition to a cell phone. I hope you can get the truck started,I would try a Toyota dealer and forums like Tacoma World for help.Best wishes.

danneskjold

Thanks for your honestly and posting up what many folks would never mention...
I am very glad you and your pup are fine and great point on the ditch bag, thanks the alert on that.
Have you contacted Vagabond about new clamps and giving them feedback for the sake of the future?
Thanks again for posting and I am looking forward to hearing how it all turns out for you, wish I had ideas on the engine but I am too old school to help :)

Thanks, honestly I considered never mentioning it because it's embarrassing as ******** but I ended up mentioning it because of how well the Vagabond did outside of it's design parameters and to hopefully impart a couple lessons learned so hopefully something good will come from my mistake.
That being said..Phil from Vagabond was the second person I texted once I got cell service. I believe the clamps (only one needs to be replaced) are actually a generic part available at any RV/camper supply store.

Glad you and the dog are OK,having a get home bag is a good idea,as is some form of communication in addition to a cell phone. I hope you can get the truck started,I would try a Toyota dealer and forums like Tacoma World for help.Best wishes.

It actually got towed from the accident site to a body shop, and from there to Toyota. They didn't want anything to do with it - the only thing they did was manage to break the door when their tech pulled the VIN number. So now it's back at another body shop.

aaen

Adventurer
Does anyone know of where i can find a video of the bed feature in the vagabond, and some better interior shots. The website they have is a bit lacking. I was originally leaning towards a GFC, but am liking the vagabond the more and more I read about it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179