GFC vs. Vagabond

Overlanerd

Vagabond Outdoors
Unlike GFC/AT Overland/Vagabond, the folks behind the Treehouse are about twice the age, and likely only recently discovered Instagram. I also got the feeling it was more of a family affair, and those who build/design the product aren't exactly sales people.

I think some of it is just background and surrounding areas. GFC and Vagabond are decidedly West Coast, Instagram, Forum Heavy companies, largely created by younger guys with a good grasp of media and marketing. You could argue that for a long time, Four Wheel Campers didn't really have good marketing, either, and hell the AT Overland Summit is still a one-off-from-vaporware kinda thing.

We appreciate that we’re perceived as youthful! I’m 43 and Iggy is in his mid 30’s.

When it comes to marketing, we are heavily involved in the social media aspect, but rely on a friend we employed to do our marketing. He’s a professional and is doing an awesome job at it. We’re mainly trying to communicate the features of our campers. It was so much easier to do in person at expo!

Looks good, so how was this tested for leaks? Garden hose? Pressure washer? Actual field use (not California, you guys don't know what rain is until you go to the PNW), Car wash?

Also how do you take care of the water from the tent material running down? It appears like there would be a trap for the water to sit?

I'm very interested in the product, really like the sliding floor system. Is there any videos up about how to operate it? I didn't see any on your website.

Steve

Coin operated car wash pressure sprayer, leaving it open for multiple rain events, and relying on real- world experiences (like Brian’s east coast adventures). But most of it came from years of experience with multiple campers and testing our V1’s. The rain sheds off the fabric and onto the lower roof. If it moves horizontally on that surface, it can’t move up into the camper because of the vertical bend behind the awning track. And the track is elevated so the water won’t touch the keder rope, which is non-wicking anyways. It is also easy to clear snow from that area since there’s no place for it to get trapped in. We definitely had that in mind too.

No video yet. The extension of the mattress is hinges to the cabover portion. It flips over onto the main mattress. Then the bed extension platform just slides underneath both mattress sections. It takes about 5 - 10 seconds. The extension portion of the mattress is attached with Velcro (after the hinge) so you can detach that half to use as a seat cushion below.

Im more worried about waterproofness while driving then camping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We definitely had that in mind as well, which is why we used the continuous keder rope along each side. The first line of defense is the Trimlok bulb seal around the perimeter.

Thanks, honestly I considered never mentioning it because it's embarrassing as **** but I ended up mentioning it because of how well the Vagabond did outside of it's design parameters and to hopefully impart a couple lessons learned so hopefully something good will come from my mistake.
That being said..Phil from Vagabond was the second person I texted once I got cell service. I believe the clamps (only one needs to be replaced) are actually a generic part available at any RV/camper supply store.

As we mentioned in private, and in the TW thread, we’re bummed that you had to go through this experience and grateful that you and the dog were not injured.

“Zero” is our first V2/ Drifter and doesn’t share the same strength as our production units. There is no sealant adhesive where the shell and lower roof meet. Just closed- cell foam tape and the standard (24) 1/4-20 SS button head bolts with flanged locknuts. We did this so the parts could be separated in the future for testing/ prototyping. So it is less structurally sound than our production units. It seemed to hold up fine though. No cracked welds, broken rivets, and aside from the slightly bent DS cabover portion of the lower roof, that took the weight of the entire truck, the damage is minimal. Zero will live on!

The plans for Zero definitely included a lifetime of abuse... for science. Brian definitely superseded our destructive testing plans!

danneskjold

Does anyone know of where i can find a video of the bed feature in the vagabond, and some better interior shots. The website they have is a bit lacking. I was originally leaning towards a GFC, but am liking the vagabond the more and more I read about it

Here's a couple quick shots showing the platform in sleeping configuration, and then the bed platform slid into the cab-over portion with the mattress folded over.
This is really handy for me if it's really nasty out - I still have enough space to put my dog in the cab-over portion while being able to work throughout the bed.

Note this was the prototype so it might be even more refined...I'll let Phil comment on that.

Excuse the mess..

Attachments

• 47BC5FDB-BD1D-4796-B608-09A52C9AE5C2.jpeg
    47BC5FDB-BD1D-4796-B608-09A52C9AE5C2.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 326
  • EC6EC0DA-69D5-46EF-9B0A-34D02CFD78E2.jpeg
    EC6EC0DA-69D5-46EF-9B0A-34D02CFD78E2.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 315

aaen

Adventurer
Liking what I am seeing. Can j get a close up
If the rain gutter/sealing mechanism for the rtt when it is closed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PHeller

Adventurer
Are you **************** me? The AT Overland Summit is a one-off-from vaporware? AT doesn't build or release something unless they know its going to be the gold standard. I have no doubts that Mario Donovan and the crew are applied what they learned from the AT Habitat over to the Summit.

To be fair, the Summit currently only exists in one form - the example on the Ram Crew-Cab. (If there are other examples I'd love to see them, maybe I'm not looking in the right spot.)They haven't released pricing, so it could be far more than even an FWC. I haven't been able to locate pricing expectations or any other option yet for the Summit. I'm not saying it won't be a good product, but Vagabond, GFC, etc have produced multiple examples or are already in production. The Summit is not. The Habitat is probably a better idea of the quality of AT Overland's product, but it's a different type of camper, and the pricing is already much higher than the GFC, Treehouse, Vagabond.

Mario is probably in his 50's and has a world of experience. Overland Nerd (Vagabond) has had multiple camper builds over the years and collaborated with Iggy for the Drifter build (not sure what his name on here but he built his own wedge style camper. Check it out on TW). GFC admitted probably has the most youth of the group. And you know what? They all seem more experienced and invested into their projects than the SnapOutfitters Treehouse. I'd rather spend money from companies that make their product a priority rather than as a side project.

My point was, the other guys are camper/overland product manufacturers. Snap Outfitters is not. If you want a "semi-custom" pop-up, you wouldn't go to GFC or Vagabond or AT Overland or Four Wheel Campers because they design a product, test it, and it stays that way. You pay $6500-$8000 and you get the same product that the next guy in line got. Snap Outfitters is still testing the waters, still trying to figure out what works and what doesn't, both from marketing, media, pricing and build configuration. That might mean ways of cutting costs, or getting a slightly different setup that is totally unique to your camper. That can be a good or bad thing, depending on how you look at it.

Yes a lot of it is an image thing and for that reason Snap should try a HELL of a lot harder to market the Treehouse if they want to make a sale. People want to know if this thing can withstand West Coast style off-roading. They could care less if its good enough for camping in Pennsylvania.

Some people are less concerned with image and more concerned with value. I don't have a lot of money to blow on a camper. An orange spaceframe, polished aluminum skin and fancy pictures matters ********-all to me if the design doesn't work for my needs. The Treehouse provides a few features that the Summit, GFC, and Vagabond all don't. Is it perfect? Nope, but neither are the others, good pictures, good reputation or not.

Me personally? I want semi-custom. I want a higher shell (like Treehouse), a full-length popup (like OVRLND), longer-cab over (like Vagabond or Summit), full length side access door (like GFC), and custom front window (to take advantage of my full-width sliding rear window), and pricing for all of that semi-custom stuff comparable to GFC. Nobody makes what I want, so fancy pictures, a long reputation, an instagram presence, none of that stuff will convince to be settle on a camper that isn't what I want.

Last edited:

danneskjold

To be fair, the Summit currently only exists in one form - the example on the Ram Crew-Cab. (If there are other examples I'd love to see them, maybe I'm not looking in the right spot.)They haven't released pricing, so it could be far more than even an FWC.

The first photos of the Summit we saw were on a Tacoma.

I actually like the look of the Summit a lot on a full size truck...but on a Tacoma that cab over seems pretty excessive but I'm not an engineer.

Attachments

• 234C61A8-4582-4217-B934-0DD18255D62A.png
    234C61A8-4582-4217-B934-0DD18255D62A.png
    4.8 MB · Views: 206

PHeller

Adventurer
Ahh, I hadn't seen that before (I also don't follow "HabitatLife" on Instagram). I actually like the look of the fully-committed cab-over. You got the space, why not use it? Unless you run a roof rack, ain't nothing else happening on the roof!

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Vagabond has my vote for quality, build and the willingness to listen to experience. I talked with other choices and were very closed minded on the design needs and features from a poptop. Im currently in a poptop Land Cruiser and if Vagabond offers a Tundra model with barn doors I will consider changing if I dont get a Maltec truck first.:) I wish Phil & Iggy the best of luck as I feel they have a bright future ahead.

The best thing to come out of EXPO was all the new choices from mild to wild.

Runt

Adventurer
I will wait for Vagabond & GFC to both have the options available before i decide. Color, gullwing rear door, roof rack/basket, mounts for lights on cabover, mounts for back up lights, awning mounts, insulated walls, insulation for pop up....etc, etc. So far GFC bas more check boxes filled.

Last edited:

sn_85

Observer
To be fair, the Summit currently only exists in one form - the example on the Ram Crew-Cab. (If there are other examples I'd love to see them, maybe I'm not looking in the right spot.)They haven't released pricing, so it could be far more than even an FWC. I haven't been able to locate pricing expectations or any other option yet for the Summit. I'm not saying it won't be a good product, but Vagabond, GFC, etc have produced multiple examples or are already in production. The Summit is not. The Habitat is probably a better idea of the quality of AT Overland's product, but it's a different type of camper, and the pricing is already much higher than the GFC, Treehouse, Vagabond.

I'm not sure how many Summits currently exist but they've announced 5', 5.5', 6', 6.5', and 6.75' lengths. Pre-order prices will be in the $8,600 - $8,800 range. This info was from their IG account. I'm sure that's not everyones cup of tea but if history tells you or I anything then the AT Overland Summit will be a fantastic product. I have no doubt the quality will be there. Now whether or not its worth the price premium over the others is debatable.

Clutch

<---Pass
The lifting bed platform on the Summit is pretty slick, no need of shuffling things around.

https://expeditionportal.com/first-impressions-at-overland-summit-camper/

GOPR0216.jpg

Clutch

<---Pass
That is the same style lifting floor the Treehouse has but bigger side doors on both sides and cheaper.
Now I just need it to be built so I can report back to the massess
Thanks, didn't know. I can't find any interior pictures on their website. Doesn't look like the front overhang is enough to push the bed forward like the Summit so you can still move around when the bed is lowered. I would move that sink though, so you can do dishes when the bed is lowered. That is what I like about my Wildernest...one person can be napping/reading/whatever in bed another can be in the lower section doing whatever, like cooking, doing dishes, etc...

Not crazy about how high it sits over the cab either. Looks like it needs to come down 6".

26952159_209374659621315_4500884271453508708_o-e1522878532556.jpg

So far the Summit even though it cost more looks like the winner to me, with the Vagbond Drifter a close second (the insulated panels and lifting bed frame of the Summit edged it out)...diggin' the OVR LND...bare bones FWC style roof too.

GOPR0212.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78