anyone ever imported a diesel HiLux to the US?

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
But from a perspective of cost, logistics and EPA compliance, the 2.8l Cummins is a more viable engine swap option than a 1KZ-TE (or comparable overseas diesel) swap.
There are few reasons why I think the 1KZ-TE makes more sense to me. First and foremost it bolts into our trucks in the most direct way, into frames and on to transmissions designed to accept them without moving holes in the floor. I know Proffitt mated the R2.8 to an H55F, though that was in an 80 series chassis that got a 70 series pickup body, so it was a completely custom build (and got a $200k price tag to match).

It's actually cheaper to get one (although it's a used vs new caveat). A low mileage JDM 1KZ is about $3,500 to $4,000 and this usually includes the transmission it was originally built with and the engine harness so things still work. A crate R2.8 is about $10,000 just to start and you have to adapt your transmission, which I think is usually with a GM-to-Toyota adapter, and get it wired.

Right now it's easier to get 1KZ spare parts since Toyota's EPC has them in it (Mexico got them, Canada got them for mine trucks). You can order anything you need at any Toyota dealer in North America or the world for that matter. Cummins has a parts network and it's extensive as well, but not nearly as convenient.

And keep in mind if you're talking post 1999 the R2.8 isn't EPA legal either. So for older trucks the question may be between a 2L-TE or 12HB or any number of even cheaper options that may be completely bolt in (such as 2L in place of a 22R, which I understand is totally bolt-in, no welding).

DaveInDenver

laxtoy

Adventurer
I highly doubt it’s going to be easier to get parts for a completely unproven 2.8l Cummins manufactured overseas that may as an offering not even last than it is to get parts for diesel engines Toyota has been producing and putting in vehicles everywhere but North America for decades.

A quick search simply using diesel Toyota parts on eBay yeilded ober 13,000 results for several different Toyota Diesel engines from complete engines, turbos, injectors, gasket sets, you name it, majority were genuine oem parts, and most seemed very reasonably priced.

I had a 72 Oldsmobile Cutlass, and I remember the sticker they put on it, “Keep you GM car all GM.”

That’s about my sentiment now. Haven’t owned my Tacoma for 11 years just to drop a 350 small block in it.

I bought a Toyota for proven reliability. Dropping a $9000 Cummins not produced in North America is now something I wouldn’t even consider.

Long run, I would most likely do as was originally said, just buy a 25 yo plus vehicle with low miles and take care of it the way I take care of my current truck.

Dalko43

Explorer
There are few reasons why I think the 1KZ-TE makes more sense to me. First and foremost it bolts into our trucks in the most direct way, into frames and on to transmissions designed to accept them without moving holes in the floor. I know Proffitt mated the R2.8 to an H55F, though that was in an 80 series chassis that got a 70 series pickup body, so it was a completely custom build (and got a $200k price tag to match).

It's actually cheaper to get one (although it's a used vs new caveat). A low mileage JDM 1KZ is about $3,500 to $4,000 and this usually includes the transmission it was originally built with and the engine harness so things still work. A crate R2.8 is about $10,000 just to start and you have to adapt your transmission, which I think is usually with a GM-to-Toyota adapter, and get it wired.

Right now it's easier to get 1KZ spare parts since Toyota's EPC has them in it (Mexico got them, Canada got them for mine trucks). You can order anything you need at any Toyota dealer in North America or the world for that matter. Cummins has a parts network and it's extensive as well, but not nearly as convenient.

And keep in mind if you're talking post 1999 the R2.8 isn't EPA legal either. So for older trucks the question may be between a 2L-TE or 12HB or any number of even cheaper options that may be completely bolt in (such as 2L in place of a 22R, which I understand is totally bolt-in, no welding).

The only real point I agree with is that the Toyota diesels will fit into some of their platforms easier. A 1KZ-TE may fit into a 4runner with relatively little drama, I don't know if the same would hold true for swapping it into a Tacoma. Moreover, any swap would require some reprogramming of the ECU, which would add cost and complexity to that operation.

There is a potential savings by getting a used Toyota diesel. The caveat you refer to is an important one though. The 2.8l Cummins is brand new and comes with a warranty; the Toyota is a used engine with no warranty. Granted, those overseas diesels are known for being fairly trouble-free, but still that comparison is not apples-to-apples.

Parts availability and repair I think you're being a bit unrealistic on. Toyota in Canada and Mexico may carry some of those parts, but they're less common and more expensive than the parts you're normally getting from a Toyota dealership. Moreover, it's highly unlikely that most of the Toyota dealerships are actually trained to handle those kinds of engines. I think the logistical coverage for the 2.8l Cummins within North America is much better by comparison, and it will continue to improve if the 2.8l sees usage in future midsized platforms (like the Nissan Frontier).

Last edited:

tacollie

Glamper
You don't know the history on an imported 1KZ. They are good motors if they haven't been overheated.

Isn't the 2.8 Cummins based off of a Marine motor? Could help determine reliability and parts availability.

battleaxe

Captain Obvious
I toyed with the idea of importing a Hilux here for years, but I could never justify the 20k price tag. 20k including purchase of a half decent truck or 4runner is a lot of money to build a sweet rig with. Canada has it easier, as it's only 15 years to import.

The whole "manufactured in China" mentality is silly to me. 90% of what you buy is made in China. Your beloved Tepui, ARB and CVT tents are produced en masse in China, yet everyone drops obscene amounts of money on them with little thought. So... You'll support an Australian founded company, produced in China... But you're hesitant to support an American company that produces their engines in China? That R2.8 is a commercial/industrial engine that's been around for a long time (according to all the HD mechanics at work), and any/all parts are readily available for them with a quick phone call to anyone who is a Cummins dealer.

*Edit - Before I get nailed to the wall on this, I'm going off what mechanics who deal with Cummins on a daily basis are saying.

DaveInDenver

The only real point I agree with is that the Toyota diesels will fit into some of their platforms easier. A 1KZ-TE may fit into a 4runner with relatively little drama, I don't know if the same would hold true for swapping it into a Tacoma. Moreover, any swap would require some reprogramming of the ECU, which would add cost and complexity to that operation.
The half cuts and drivetrain pulls come with an ECU. That why when you buy your JDM pull you have to specify automatic or manual to get the right ECU. The engines in 4Runners and 2nd gen Tacomas are the same, I dunno. It's not like a US-spec 4Runner has two sets of motor mounts, so whatever changes it takes to replace a 1GR will have to happen either way. It's not a like our 4Runner is going to have the same harness that a GX spec Prado with a 1KZ, 5 speed stick, steel wheels and a vinyl floor had anyway. A Tacoma was available with 2TR-FE and R-series manuals that are typical globally, so who knows, it may just plug right in.
There is a potential savings by getting a used Toyota diesel. The caveat you refer to is an important one though. The 2.8l Cummins is brand new and comes with a warranty; the Toyota is a used engine with no warranty. Granted, those overseas diesels are known for being fairly trouble-free, but still that comparison is not apples-to-apples.
The Cummins crate engine comes with a 2 year/2,600 hour warranty that starts upon delivery to the first owner. That's something the Dieseltoys FAQ mentioned (although they were wrong about 90 days). If you buy one and it takes 6 months to get your swap done you only have 18 months more warranty. BTW, I was wrong, the R2.8 Repower kit is $8,999, not $10k.

It's also true that you'll probably get a somewhere around a 30 to 180 day warranty on a used engine. If it hasn't been overheated that should be fine. It is certainly a risk, but then again you're replacing a used engine in your truck so it's not like used should mean abused or tired.

Also, they usually source them from Japan where I surmise they require a very detailed inspection (Shaken) that results in very few vehicles getting more than 50,000 miles on them. Just a bit of body damage or illegal modifications are grounds for failing a car. The vehicles are apparently not beaten up and kept in very good repair as a result, so the JDM engines usually are in very good condition.
Parts availability and repair I think you're being a bit unrealistic on. Toyota in Canada and Mexico may carry some of those parts, but they're less common and more expensive than the parts you're normally getting from a Toyota dealership. Moreover, it's highly unlikely that most of the Toyota dealerships are actually trained to handle those kinds of engines. I think the logistical coverage for the 2.8l Cummins within North America is much better by comparison, and it will continue to improve if the 2.8l sees usage in future midsized platforms (like the Nissan Frontier).
I didn't say they would be stocked, the EPC has all the part numbers so any dealer anywhere in North America can order the parts and they'll be delivered from a warehouse in North America because they support retail and commercial buyers in Mexico and Canada. Some dealers (like American Toyota in Albuquerque) have TLCA affiliated parts guys who do manage to stock common parts for the enthusiasts, though. My point is you don't have to have a special English speaking source in Japan shipping stuff to you.

Last edited:

battleaxe

Captain Obvious
I didn't say they would be stocked, the EPC has all the part numbers so any dealer anywhere in North America can order the parts and they'll be delivered from a warehouse in North America because they support retail and commercial buyers in Mexico and Canada. Some dealers (like American Toyota in Albuquerque) have TLCA affiliated parts guys who do manage to stock common parts for the enthusiasts, though. My point is you don't have to have a special English speaking source in Japan shipping stuff to you.

Yeah, you just need a parts person who isn't a dink. Some Toyota/Nissan dealerships in the PNW are awesome for importing parts. Others just don't want to bother.

DaveInDenver

Yeah, you just need a parts person who isn't a dink. Some Toyota/Nissan dealerships in the PNW are awesome for importing parts. Others just don't want to bother.
I suspect dealers on the borders will be more accommodating in general as well.

Clutch

<---Pass
This shop in Oregon used to have a few diesel swapped Toyotas for sale, but I don't think they do it anymore. They weren't bad either, some were around $25K for the whole vehicle. Unlike Diesel Toys that is $25-30K just for the swap. has anyone called Toy Only Swaps to see if they'll do diesel half cuts?

https://www.importperformanceusa.com/project/2004-expedition-tacoma-with-1kz/

Ryans-complete-taco-6.jpg

Ryans-complete-taco-7.jpg

engine bay pics are from this truck

Ryans-complete-taco-2.jpg

Late 90's early 2000's HiLuxes weren't too far removed from the 1st gen Tacoma...cab looks eerily similar, front clip and bed are a little different.

Would say the 1st gen Tacomas have a lot of Hilux DNA in them. Someone even put a Tacoma front clip on one....ooohhh, I want those wing windows.

9437.jpg

https://www.importperformanceusa.com/project/1991-toyota-4runner-with-1kz/

91-4runner-for-sale-003.jpg

91-4runner-for-sale-016.jpg

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
My brother lives in NZ and has a buddy who owns a diesel shop. They actually prefer the Ranger. It won't have a diesel here but it could be a solid choice given our options.

Have a friend that moved to NZ, who's wife is from OZ and still has family there, we briefly thought about getting into the diesel vehicle import business. And quickly decided that is more hassle that what it is worth.

Also who have another friend in OZ who is in the mining industry, who gets to ride/drive Hiluxes and LC's...his brother has a diesel Ranger, and prefers that over the Toyotas...bewildered why we Americans lust after them so much. :)

Last edited:

laxtoy

Adventurer
This shop in Oregon used to have a few diesel swapped Toyotas for sale, but I don't think they do it anymore. They weren't bad either, some were around $25K for the whole vehicle. Unlike Diesel Toys that is $25-30K just for the swap. has anyone called Toy Only Swaps to see if they'll do diesel half cuts?

https://www.importperformanceusa.com/project/2004-expedition-tacoma-with-1kz/

Ryans-complete-taco-6.jpg

Ryans-complete-taco-7.jpg

engine bay pics are from this truck

Ryans-complete-taco-2.jpg

Late 90's early 2000's HiLuxes weren't too far removed from the 1st gen Tacoma...cab looks eerily similar, front clip and bed are a little different.

Would say the 1st gen Tacomas have a lot of Hilux DNA in them. Someone even put a Tacoma front clip on one....ooohhh, I want those wing windows.

9437.jpg

https://www.importperformanceusa.com/project/1991-toyota-4runner-with-1kz/

91-4runner-for-sale-003.jpg

91-4runner-for-sale-016.jpg
Oh Lord those first 2 pics give me a hard on. I’d definitely have to do some rearranging to get dual batteries, a mini arb compressor and a heat exchanger to fit with that engine, but sooooo worth it

Clutch

<---Pass
Oh Lord those first 2 pics give me a hard on. I’d definitely have to do some rearranging to get dual batteries, a mini arb compressor and a heat exchanger to fit with that engine, but sooooo worth it

That is basically my truck sans the diesel. Does make me wonder how "bolt-in" that engine really is as @DaveInDenver says. And looking at how similar that era HiLux is to the 1st gen Tacoma...makes me wonder even more.

There was a time I wanted to try and import doors so I can get wing windows for my truck...really miss those type of vents. had them in a couple vehicles over the years. As with most things in life...more hassle than what is worth.

Last edited:

laxtoy

Adventurer
I think they are exactly as @DaveInDenver says, instead of a 3.4 liter gas engine mated to an R150F 5 speed or an A340 automatic, they’re the exact same drivetrain as a US sold Tacoma but with a 3.0l turbo diesel. Different ecu, but I’d bet after that a lot of the truck is identical.

http://dieseltoys.com/tacoma-diesel-conversions

From the look of their offerings, which includes the factory service manual for these engines, I’d bet you could find just about all the info you’d need like part numbers, etc on online searches and find plenty of international retailers able to sell you parts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger