anyone ever imported a diesel HiLux to the US?

Clutch

<---Pass
I think they are exactly as @DaveInDenver says, instead of a 3.4 liter gas engine mated to an R150F 5 speed or an A340 automatic, they’re the exact same drivetrain as a US sold Tacoma but with a 3.0l turbo diesel. Different ecu, but I’d bet after that a lot of the truck is identical.

http://dieseltoys.com/tacoma-diesel-conversions

From the look of their offerings, which includes the factory service manual for these engines, I’d bet you could find just about all the info you’d need like part numbers, etc on online searches and find plenty of international retailers able to sell you parts.

Over the years...I'll have looked into doing swap, but never seems to make financial sense to me. One of the reasons to go diesel at least for me is to get better fuel economy to save a little money.

Looking at the half-cuts that come with the transmission and transfer case...that isn't all that bad. If my 3.4 ever goes, I was going to freshen the trans & transfer case anyways.

Probably add another $1000 to this price for so miscellaneous BS that will come up.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jdm-Toyota...smission-4wd-1KZ-TE-1KZTE-Hilux-/253689628415

Clutch

<---Pass
Saw this and made me think of this thread. Cool truck. 4-door and LHD.

https://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/4969124?ad_cid=11

That is pretty cool.

"average mileage is 21 mpg" Yeah, think I'll pass on the whole swap idea. (like usual ;) )

Other than the novelty of it, can't think of a good enough reason to do it.

Wonder how hard getting parts for the diesel would be. Since my truck is getting up there in age, lots of parts aren't stocked at the local dealers here, and have to order it. Usually only a day or three. But waiting weeks would suck...

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
That is pretty cool.

"average mileage is 21 mpg"

Yeah, think I'll pass on the whole swap idea. (like usual ;) )

Other than the novelty of it, can't think of a good enough reason to do it.

Wonder how hard getting parts for the diesel would be. Since my truck is getting up there in age, lots of parts aren't stocked at the local dealers here, and have to order it.
Usually has to be ordered, if your local dealer parts guy is willing. Sometimes they'd prefer just running down the fast movers sheet instead of digging into the catalog. Other dealers (Google Cruiser Dan) are happy to get that one valve spring for a 2L-TE you're rebuilding.

Clutch

<---Pass
Usually has to be ordered, if your local dealer parts guy is willing. Sometimes they'd prefer just running down the fast movers sheet instead of digging into the catalog. Other dealers (Google Cruiser Dan) are happy to get that one valve spring for a 2L-TE you're rebuilding.

Is it ok that my local parts guy is a woman? :p:D I am in there enough, believe she knows me by my middle name now. ;)

Probably fine for a hobby vehicle that spends most of its' time sitting. But not a daily.

Kinda miss having 3 vehicles for that very reason. Now down to only two...which it is also kinda nice not to have to take care of 3 vehicles anymore, so there is that. :)

DaveInDenver

Probably fine for a hobby vehicle that spends most of its' time sitting. But not a daily.

Kinda miss having 3 vehicles for that very reason. Now down to two.
It's the age-old issue about keeping old iron going. It's why I have a 2008 now since I only have the one vehicle and having it on jack stands Monday mornings isn't an option. In retrospect I should have kept the 1991 and parked in somewhere until I have the space/time/money/energy to restore but I'm also old enough to know the space/time/money/energy doesn't just materialize and if it wasn't happening as my daily it certainly wasn't gonna happen if I left it parked in someone's back 40.

Point is, it's really no harder to deal with a Toyota diesel than anything else after a couple of decades. So if you intend on keeping the Tacoma going you're going to face the same issue. Discontinued parts. It's not yet bad with the 3rd gen mini trucks but the 1st and 2nd gen are unobtainium or if you're lucky on their last stock in the system at which point it's either wait to see if Toyota fill backorders or do NAPA/eBay or figure out a work around.

Clutch

<---Pass
It's the age-old issue about keeping old iron going. It's why I have a 2008 now since I only have the one vehicle and having it on jack stands Monday mornings isn't an option. In retrospect I should have kept the 1991 and parked in somewhere until I have the space/time/money/energy to restore but I'm also old enough to know the space/time/money/energy doesn't just materialize and if it wasn't happening as my daily it certainly wasn't gonna happen if I left it parked in someone's back 40.

Point is, it's really no harder to deal with a Toyota diesel than anything else after a couple of decades. So if you intend on keeping the Tacoma going you're going to face the same issue. Discontinued parts. It's not yet bad with the 3rd gen mini trucks but the 1st and 2nd gen are unobtainium or if you're lucky on their last stock in the system at which point it's either wait to see if Toyota fill backorders or do NAPA/eBay or figure out a work around.

Yeah...the sensible thing to do is buy a dedicated commuter car that gets 40 mpg. And use the truck only for camping.

DaveInDenver

Yeah...the sensible thing to do is buy a dedicated commuter car that gets 40 mpg. And use the truck only for camping.
I guess, if you're wealthy. I'm barely keeping a 10 year old truck going, can't imagine the time suck working on two pieces of junk would be. The moment of duh with the 1991 was when I was turning wrenches more than camping out of it. Which was why the FJ40 had to go before it. Too much work, not enough utility. Cars are tools.

Clutch

<---Pass
I guess, if you're wealthy. I'm barely keeping a 10 year old truck going, can't imagine the time suck working on two pieces of junk would be. The moment of duh with the 1991 was when I was turning wrenches more than camping out of it. Which was why the FJ40 had to go before it. Too much work, not enough utility. Cars are tools.

Barely keeping a 10 year old Tacoma going!? Hey, I thought Toyotas never break!? ;)

Every time something goes wrong with mine, I get the itch to off it. Which has been more often than not lately.

Well, I was thinking of doing a brand new or slightly used Yaris or Fit as the commuter beater, those are pretty cheap in the big scheme of things, and just park the truck, as I really only go camping about 12 times year...looking back on this year, think I have been out 7 times so far, and might have maybe 4 possibly 5 long weekends left (time/workwise that is) before the weather gets too foul.

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
It's the age-old issue about keeping old iron going. It's why I have a 2008 now since I only have the one vehicle and having it on jack stands Monday mornings isn't an option. ....

I've done that too many times. Banging away till 2AM on Sunday so I could get the car put together for the long Monday commute. Paranoid of every creak or groan on the drive imagining things falling apart because I'd forgotten to tighten something. Too old for that now.

Every time something goes wrong with mine, I get the itch to off it. Which has been more often than not lately.

Well, I was thinking of doing a brand new Yaris or Fit as the commuter beater, those are pretty cheap in the big scheme of things, and just park the truck, as I really only go camping about 12 times year...looking back on this year, think I have been out 7 times so far, and might have maybe 4 possibly 5 long weekends left (time/workwise that is) before the weather gets too foul.

We all know you'd last about 2 seconds in a Yaris before throwing it off a cliff. :D I used to have the same set up. Truck in the garage and a beater commuter. Hated driving the thing, especially in a land of lifted F250's. Paying insurance, registration, not being able to park in the garage, safety, etc.

I'm 100% with Dave's line of thinking. One truck that's reliable, decent MPG, not crazy big like full-size for daily driving, plenty capable for what I do. If I wanted to go on a hardcore rock crawling trip (which will probably happen once every 10 years), I'd just tow a RZR.

And no way I'd want to deal with a diesel for that type of stuff.

nomad_games

I'm sort of in this spot right now. My 98 4runner with 192k seems like it needs a new part every time I drive it out of the driveway. The engine runs and runs and runs, trans is still doing pretty well, but damn if I haven't replaced nearly everything on the suspension and the rest of it needs to be replaced like right this second. My wife has a Honda Fit, I actually prefer driving it in the city because the MPG is so much better, easier to park, better stereo, darker tint for the CO sun, comfier seats, etc etc etc. Just hope I don't catch a Raptor to the face. When my wife has the car, I find myself taking my dual sport more and more rather than the truck. I'm on the verge of just saying ******** it and buying a new one. I hate payments, but at this point the monthly payout on parts is catching up to the cost of a payment.

Clutch

<---Pass
I've done that too many times. Banging away till 2AM on Sunday so I could get the car put together for the long Monday commute. Paranoid of every creak or groan on the drive imagining things falling apart because I'd forgotten to tighten something. Too old for that now.

I have done that, now I just pay someone to do it. And just grab my wife's vehicle while mine is in the shop. We live close enough to her work that she walks or rides a bicycle. That and it is pretty rare that they are both broken down at the same time. If that ever happened, either uber, rent...or hell just take that time off work...until one is running again. Heck, I am self employed...I can do such a thing.

Which is kinda my goal...quit this stupid "having to commute" in 4 years. I just got back from running to the local hippy "all natural" country grocery store on my bicycle, I usually make my own bread, but forgot to start the dough last night..so off to the store I went. :)

Anyways, not having to drive into the city 5 days week sure would nice...quite literally have everything we need within a 1.5 mile radius of the house. Except my work....dang-it!

We all know you'd last about 2 seconds in a Yaris before throwing it off a cliff. :D I used to have the same set up. Truck in the garage and a beater commuter. Hated driving the thing, especially in a land of lifted F250's. Paying insurance, registration, not being able to park in the garage, safety, etc.

I'm 100% with Dave's line of thinking. One truck that's reliable, decent MPG, not crazy big like full-size for daily driving, plenty capable for what I do. If I wanted to go on a hardcore rock crawling trip (which will probably happen once every 10 years), I'd just tow a RZR.

And no way I'd want to deal with a diesel for that type of stuff.

Have rented some cars over the last year...to my surprise I liked them.

I only take a couple "big" week long trips a year. I may just rent a van for that. Enterprise will rent you one for $100/week .36¢/mile. Pretty cheap compared to buying your own and only having it used a few times a year as it is intended. Not worrying if it is going to break is good too.

Maybe add to that age old question: Do I really need a truck?

Last edited:

Dalko43

Explorer
The half cuts and drivetrain pulls come with an ECU. That why when you buy your JDM pull you have to specify automatic or manual to get the right ECU. The engines in 4Runners and 2nd gen Tacomas are the same, I dunno. It's not like a US-spec 4Runner has two sets of motor mounts, so whatever changes it takes to replace a 1GR will have to happen either way. It's not a like our 4Runner is going to have the same harness that a GX spec Prado with a 1KZ, 5 speed stick, steel wheels and a vinyl floor had anyway. A Tacoma was available with 2TR-FE and R-series manuals that are typical globally, so who knows, it may just plug right in.

The Cummins crate engine comes with a 2 year/2,600 hour warranty that starts upon delivery to the first owner. That's something the Dieseltoys FAQ mentioned (although they were wrong about 90 days). If you buy one and it takes 6 months to get your swap done you only have 18 months more warranty. BTW, I was wrong, the R2.8 Repower kit is $8,999, not $10k.

It's also true that you'll probably get a somewhere around a 30 to 180 day warranty on a used engine. If it hasn't been overheated that should be fine. It is certainly a risk, but then again you're replacing a used engine in your truck so it's not like used should mean abused or tired.

Also, they usually source them from Japan where I surmise they require a very detailed inspection (Shaken) that results in very few vehicles getting more than 50,000 miles on them. Just a bit of body damage or illegal modifications are grounds for failing a car. The vehicles are apparently not beaten up and kept in very good repair as a result, so the JDM engines usually are in very good condition.

I didn't say they would be stocked, the EPC has all the part numbers so any dealer anywhere in North America can order the parts and they'll be delivered from a warehouse in North America because they support retail and commercial buyers in Mexico and Canada. Some dealers (like American Toyota in Albuquerque) have TLCA affiliated parts guys who do manage to stock common parts for the enthusiasts, though. My point is you don't have to have a special English speaking source in Japan shipping stuff to you.

I suppose the better way for me to phrase it this: If I could legally swap a gently used Toyota diesel into an older 4runner or Tacoma, and if parts for said engine were widely available, I would definitely go that route. Those, engines, while not without their faults have a pretty solid reputation. There are a lot of unknowns with buying any used engine, so I don't know that I'd necessarily go for the cheapest example.

But when I ground myself back in reality, and acknowledge that I have to approach this with legal and logistical issues in mind, the 2.8l Cummins crate seems like a more viable option, and I think a lot of 4x4 shops (including some that focus on Toyota's) agree. Even if I disregard the legal aspect, I'm not sure how I would go about distinguishing a good used engine from a bad one. Are there any vendors which vet those imported engines? And I don't want to have to be playing phone/email tag with different dealers and vendors to try to get parts shipped in.

It's not that I think the Cummins engine is inherently better. Toyota's diesels, and all their engines for that matter, I consider to be among the best in terms of reliability. It's more of a "when in Rome" mentality. If I were living in Southeast Asia, Africa or Australia, a Toyota truck with a Toyota diesel would be the obvious way to go. For North America, there are other engine options which are better supported and are compliant with local regulations.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179