anyone ever imported a diesel HiLux to the US?

Clutch

<---Pass
I still ground tent it, rain, snow or shine. But if rain is a regular thing, I'd probably look at a Sprinter or better yet, an AS Basecamp. Too bad they're so expensive!

72444d1364871202-airstream-basecamp-shop-build-driverside.jpg

Next-level adventures with the all-new Basecamp X-Package.
The all-new Basecamp X Package is perfect for anyone whose adventures take them even farther off the beaten path. It adds a list of rugged features that increase Basecamp’s departure angle and durability, so you’re ready for just about anything. And you’ll still be surrounded by all the comforts of home.

• Lift kit – 3”
  • Goodyear® Wrangler® tires
  • Black shadow wheel design
  • Raised hitch jack foot pad
  • Stainless steel rock guards
  • Solar window guard

Yeah, pretty much done with ground tents...too much fussing. My Wildernest, while super easy setup borderlines on amount of fussing I want to do. Getting to the stage I want to open a door and have everything ready. Pretty much a trailer answers that...nothing fancy, a built out enclosed will do.

Those Airstreams are nice, the wife wants a big one when we retire. But too nice to drag down washboard roads is my thinking. I really don't want to be so careful I am not enjoying the trip. Because knowing me...I will tear it up.

The whole "manufactured in China" mentality is silly to me. 90% of what you buy is made in China. Your beloved Tepui, ARB and CVT tents are produced en masse in China, yet everyone drops obscene amounts of money on them with little thought. So... You'll support an Australian founded company, produced in China... But you're hesitant to support an American company that produces their engines in China? That R2.8 is a commercial/industrial engine that's been around for a long time (according to all the HD mechanics at work), and any/all parts are readily available for them with a quick phone call to anyone who is a Cummins dealer.

Think it is one thing having tents, flashlights....even the Mac laptop I am typing on being made in China, quite another an internal combustion engine. Because all we get here that is motorized made in China is basically worthless. Can you think of anything with a Chinese engine that is any good? Top of my head I can't.

So I can see why any long term hard core "Toyota Guy" would be hesitant of putting a Chinese built engine in their Yota. Think I rather take my chances with a used Japanese half-cut. And Hell, if Dave is right...it is a damn near bolt-in unlike the Cummins.

laxtoy

Adventurer
In reference to needing a truck, I am in the camp I have to have one. After 11 years as a work truck that can get around the city well and isn’t losing parking spots like full-size trucks plus is an excellent weekend wheeler/camping platform, all my needs have been met.

It does raise concerns about making a swap to a Toyota diesel and then having issues in some random town in the middle of nowhere and having to wait on a part, although I’ve had that issue with oem too.

I just want a do it all vehicle, something that gets me in and out of some hairy stuff and I don’t have to worry about scratching it up and can carry a bed full of tools and a loaded lumber rack Monday through Friday, but getting 25 mpg instead of 15 would be awesome, since that feels like the direction I need to go in anyway.

Basically just might wait to see how much I can get out of my current engine with over 300k on it and see if I can make it to 2024, then see if I can dodge the epa stuff.

I am curious about how that process works, why you can import after a vehicle is 25 years old and can my vehicle be 25 years old and classify under a classic car license or something like that? Does that then enable the person to be able to skip emissions?

Clutch

<---Pass
In reference to needing a truck, I am in the camp I have to have one. After 11 years as a work truck that can get around the city well and isn’t losing parking spots like full-size trucks plus is an excellent weekend wheeler/camping platform, all my needs have been met.

It does raise concerns about making a swap to a Toyota diesel and then having issues in some random town in the middle of nowhere and having to wait on a part, although I’ve had that issue with oem too.

I just want a do it all vehicle, something that gets me in and out of some hairy stuff and I don’t have to worry about scratching it up and can carry a bed full of tools and a loaded lumber rack Monday through Friday, but getting 25 mpg instead of 15 would be awesome, since that feels like the direction I need to go in anyway.

Basically just might wait to see how much I can get out of my current engine with over 300k on it and see if I can make it to 2024, then see if I can dodge the epa stuff.

I am curious about how that process works, why you can import after a vehicle is 25 years old and can my vehicle be 25 years old and classify under a classic car license or something like that? Does that then enable the person to be able to skip emissions?

That is the thing with swaps or imports. Ok...maybe it is a hobby vehicle, and since this hobby takes us out into the boonies...do you really want something that takes awhile to get parts? Even with my old beater, the local dealer can usually get parts within a day or three...if I am in huge hurry...a local parts store generally has something.

Have a couple vintage Homelite chainsaws that I use for trail maintenance, but after this year of doing some heavy clearing and breaking parts on the road...I am switching to a brand new Stihl, since I can go into any dealer while on the road and usually they have parts.

Come to think of it, I have an odd ball vehicle in addition to my Tacoma. We have an '02 Isuzu Trooper, they quit making those in well...'02. Haven't had too much of an issue getting parts for it, but nothing major has failed yet. Did a starter and a leaking trans oil cooler line, that's it. But is also has only 100K...and we barely but 1000 miles on it a year. The trans has been acting funny since we got it...so I won't take it on any long trips...ok for her to run back and forth to her work which is only 1.5 mile round trip. Funny thing the only thing that has gone with it is the Trans...which happens to be GM.

I was hot for an import diesel there for awhile...always wanted a Troopy...every time I got into the nitty gritty...just too much hassle for a 25 year old vehicle. Where you can run out and buy a brand new vehicle for the same price. May not have the cool factor, but it will get the job done. And that is what you're basically paying for with an imported vehicle...you're paying to be cool. For me, importing a 25 year old vehicle puts me in a worse spot that I am now...one it is older than what I have, and two no clue what repairs it will need....and it will need them. At least with mine since I had so long (going on 17 years now), I know exactly what has been fixed on it.

Sounds like we are at the same spot vehicle-wise love my long paid off truck I have...but getting real tired of wrenching on it. A 25 mpg do-it-all pickup does exists, just a matter if you want to mess with modern diesels. Kind curious about Ram's new electric assist on their NA V6. New Ranger looks promising too. But if I am honest with myself...my truck only goes down for repairs for a week maybe two per year. Not much of an inconvenience.

Emissions depends on the state. I had a '73 VW Westy when I lived in AZ... Which ironically I sold to a guy in the Netherlands (since we are talking about importing vehicles) pic of it it being loaded up to be hauled to Long Beach. they still made me do emissions on it, even had historic plates on it.Would imagine it would be the same for an import. Would have to look up when the cutoff date is for emissions is. Varies by county too. At least it used to, haven't looked in awhile.

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
Yeah, pretty much done with ground tents...too much fussing. My Wildernest, while super easy setup borderlines on amount of fussing I want to do. Getting to the stage I want to open a door and have everything ready. Pretty much a trailer answers that...nothing fancy, a built out enclosed will do.

Those Airstreams are nice, the wife wants a big one when we retire. But too nice to drag down washboard roads is my thinking. I really don't want to be so careful I am not enjoying the trip. Because knowing me...I will tear it up...

I like that Basecamp, because I can tow it with a mid-size. And hauling options for ATV's and dirt bikes. Plenty of room inside for two. Especially comparing it to an RTT. And like I linked above, 3" lift and skids available.

0606_z+airstream_trailer+loading.jpg

Clutch

<---Pass
I like that Basecamp, because I can tow it with a mid-size. And hauling options for ATV's and dirt bikes. Plenty of room inside for two. Especially comparing it to an RTT. And like I linked above, 3" lift and skids available.

It is cool and all, but they want too much money for it, Especially to be dragged down back dirt roads for me. I mean gee-bus...they start!!! at $36K...that is a little silly for what it is. While doesn't have the cool factor as the Airstream. Any enclosed trailer will do. So when it is getting pelted with gravel, I wouldn't mind too much....jut pick a size. 5X8, 5x10, 6X10, 6X12, 7X12, 7X14...that last one is the biggest I'll go and the one I probably should buy along with a new F150 to pull it. ;) Tossing some cabinets in is super easy...no need to pay nearly $40K either. You would hard pressed to even spend $8K, even with everything brandy new. My cheap ass would buy used and hit the reclaimed building products store.

There is a guy a couple blocks down the road from me that has a nice little 5X8 he converted....lifted, even has AC. Was riding the bicycle to the hippy grocery store the other day, and he was loading it up. Pretty nice setup...though I would need a touch bigger for hauling the bikes. So I would have enough room for a kitchen and bed without having to unload everything.

Nice thing about trailers is, you can drop them and then use the tow vehicle to run around. Not too much worry about payload with those in bed campers we all argue over. And that is the thing with truck campers...not much square footage for the dollar.

Speaking of Airstreams...the wife wants to get one when we retire. But I found this, it is Airstreamish...have it sheathed with silver skin. Build a walled off garage in the back to work on the bikes. With a nice-ish living quarters up front for her...for fraction of the price.

http://www.miragetrailers.com/enclosed-trailers/custom-concession-office-trailers.html

mirage-custom-trailers.jpg

Last edited:

nomad_games

someone down the street from my house has a black one of these. I wondered what the story was. looks like a PT Cruiser had sex with a Honda Element and the offspring was a camper trailer.

phsycle

Adventurer
It is cool and all, but they want too much money for it, Especially to be dragged down back dirt roads for me. I mean gee-bus...they start!!! at $36K...that is a little silly for what it is. While doesn't have the cool factor as the Airstream. Any enclosed trailer will do. So when it is getting pelted with gravel, I wouldn't mind too much....jut pick a size. 5X8, 5x10, 6X10, 6X12, 7X12, 7X14...that last one is the biggest I'll go and the one I probably should buy along with a new F150 to pull it. ;) Tossing some cabinets in is super easy...no need to pay nearly $40K either. You would hard pressed to even spend $8K, even with everything brandy new. My cheap ass would buy used and hit the reclaimed building products store.

There is a guy a couple blocks down the road from me that has a nice little 5X8 he converted....lifted, even has AC. Was riding the bicycle to the hippy grocery store the other day, and he was loading it up. Pretty nice setup...though I would need a touch bigger for hauling the bikes. So I would have enough room for a kitchen and bed without having to unload everything.

Nice thing about trailers is, you can drop them and then use the tow vehicle to run around. Not too much worry about payload with those in bed campers we all argue over. And that is the thing with truck campers...not much square footage for the dollar.

Speaking of Airstreams...the wife wants to get one when we retire. But I found this, it is Airstreamish...have it sheathed with silver skin. Build a walled off garage in the back to work on the bikes. With a nice-ish living quarters up front for her...for fraction of the price.

http://www.miragetrailers.com/enclosed-trailers/custom-concession-office-trailers.html

mirage-custom-trailers.jpg

That looks hideous.

Here is the thing about Airstreams. Buy in price is high. But they sure hold their value. Sounds familiar?? :D

toyota_logo_o.jpg

Enclosed trailer will work, I'm sure. You will need to build it out-- insulate it, electricals, stove hook ups, plumbing, etc. Great, if you know how to do all of that AND have the time to do it. And by the time you're finished, I bet you'll still be $20k even doing the work yourself. Not that it still won't be cheaper than the Airstream, but by the time you decide to sell it, you'll lose a lot less with the AS, I bet. But what am I talking about? I'm ground tenting it for life! :)

phsycle

Adventurer
someone down the street from my house has a black one of these. I wondered what the story was. looks like a PT Cruiser had sex with a Honda Element and the offspring was a camper trailer.

Hey now, I really like those Elements. I wish they'd gone a little bit bigger. I do see a few of them with the e-camper set up around town. Pretty cool little rigs. Westfalia-like, except very dependable. :D

Clutch

<---Pass
That looks hideous.

Exactly! So when I drag a tree branch and or bolder down the side of it, sometimes at the same time...won't be too upset. ;)

Much rather toss a new top end in the bike on a proper workbench than trying to do it out of Airstream...even that one with a built-in garage, cause I'll be dragging in, mud, dirt, gas, & oil. Working on chainsaws, sharpening thier chains. Want something you can actually use and abuse.

Enclosed trailer will work, I'm sure. You will need to build it out-- insulate it, electricals, stove hook ups, plumbing, etc. Great, if you know how to do all of that AND have the time to do it. And by the time you're finished, I bet you'll still be $20k even doing the work yourself. Not that it still won't be cheaper than the Airstream, but by the time you decide to sell it, you'll lose a lot less with the AS, I bet. But what am I talking about? I'm ground tenting it for life! :)

She is looking at the Tommy Bahama model...those start at $83K....would you drag that down a gravel road? Not sure if I could...and say if I did, and treated like an enclosed trailer...it would be falling apart when I sold it.

nomad_games

Hey now, I really like those Elements. I wish they'd gone a little bit bigger. I do see a few of them with the e-camper set up around town. Pretty cool little rigs. Westfalia-like, except very dependable. :D

I don't have anything against them. just saying what that trailer looks like to me. Although I do think PT Cruisers are atrocious.

Clutch

<---Pass
I don't have anything against them. just saying what that trailer looks like to me. Although I do think PT Cruisers are atrocious.

Our friends have an Element...you can forget about that whole dependable thing. Rode in it a couple times...seemed quite poorly thrown together to me. They are always complaining that is in the shop...and they never take it offroad. Strictly a commuter.

phsycle

Adventurer
She is looking at the Tommy Bahama model...those start at $83K....would you drag that down a gravel road? Not sure if I could...and say if I did, and treated like an enclosed trailer...it would be falling apart when I sold it.

That looks very nice, and heck no I wouldn't abuse that thing. Only smooth, graded dirt roads, if that.

But does your wife know, and come to terms with the fact that she will spend the rest of her camping days in that Wildernest and your old Tacoma?

:D

phsycle

Adventurer
Our friends have an Element...you can forget about that whole dependable thing. Rode in it a couple times...seemed quite poorly thrown together to me. They are always complaining that is in the shop...and they never take it offroad. Strictly a commuter.

There are always anomalies. I know people with Land cruisers and 4Runners with a ton of issues.

Clutch

<---Pass
That looks very nice, and heck no I wouldn't abuse that thing. Only smooth, graded dirt roads, if that.

But does your wife know, and come to terms with the fact that she will spend the rest of her camping days in that Wildernest and your old Tacoma?

:D

She actually loves the old Tacoma and Nest. She scolds me every time I threaten to sell it.

The whole Air Stream thing is...we both always wanted one...it was one of those.."when we retire and sell everything off..." thoughts. More I think about...the more I don't want one. You're paying of the cool factor and that is about it.

Be a good 17 years before we can share retirement together....I'll be dirt bagging it until then though... ;) :D

Clutch

<---Pass
There are always anomalies. I know people with Land cruisers and 4Runners with a ton of issues.

I like the idea of the Element...those fold flat seats are pretty cool. The Ford Transit Connect is similar too. Her sister has one of those, good luck with it so far I hear.

Butt ugly as it may be...kinda dig that Toyota FT-4X concept. Be nice to have a offroadish wagon with low range.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998