is the 1st gen tundra one of the best platforms

Toyotech.... what front bumper are you running? I love it, and if I can get that without having to modify a 100 series ARB, I'll definitely get that one instead.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Toyotech.... what front bumper are you running? I love it, and if I can get that without having to modify a 100 series ARB, I'll definitely get that one instead.

Brute Force Fab and it was inspired by ARB because they wouldn’t make one. I love it. The current version won’t have the center led protection anymore. It would look like this one
865981c15bdc92abe9d932ce84c0a9e7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brute Force Fab and it was inspired by ARB because they wouldn’t make one. I love it. The current version won’t have the center led protection anymore. It would look like this one
865981c15bdc92abe9d932ce84c0a9e7.jpg

Thanks for the information. Any issues opening the hood? The light bar protection isn't a big deal. My light bar will end up on the roof. What about your rear bumper?

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Best all around truck I’ve owned. Searched on and off for a year to find 4 door with this color/trim, low miles (62k), and with a new frame from Toyota thru the warranty.

Bummed that I’m going to have to sell it but would rather it not sit for 3+ years while I’m away.

View attachment 505350
View attachment 505351

Shoot, I'd find a storage unit, disconnect the battery/electrical, drain all fluids, put it up on jack stands and leave it be until you get back.

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
I love mine. It's not perfect, but it really is what I was looking for. I like the "dated" interior. I am not a fan of all the new fangled electronic gadgetry. The DC is very roomy. I took my family of 5 on a 31 day trip to Alaska in 2015. It may not be a Cummins or Powerstroke, but I live at the bottom of one of the worst canyon passes in Utah and comfortably pulled a trailer with my buddies Honda Odyssey on it 75 miles over the pass. I was pleasantly surprised with how well it tows. This year I'm focusing on cleaning up and upgrading what ever my truck needs because I plan on keeping it as long as I can. UPDATE: As of April 2024 it has 190,000 miles and still going strong. No plans to let it go.
20220807_185039.jpg20210628_180130.jpg

Last edited:

pside

Based on my latest oil analysis, OEM is doing just fine...

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
I have never done an oil analysis, I know some fleets use them as a diagnostic. What sort of info did you glean from your analysis? is it worth it?

montypower

Adventure Time!
4.7L motor is solid. However, they all have issues with exhaust manifold leaks/cracks. MPG not great. Later ones with 5 speed and VVTI was slightly better. Turning radius is BAD!!! The 2G Tundra is easier to maneuver even with the larger size due to the tighter turning radius. Heck, the Tundra turning circle is the same a the Tacoma (DC w/ 6ft bed). And it turns tighter than ANY full size truck. Both Taco (all) and late model Tundra are better. Suspension not as easily modified compared to 2G Tundra or Tacos.

Other stuff I don't like: dash that resembles the oval era Ford products (Taurus, F150/250s, Expedition) and column shifter (no thanks).

2G Tundra is better in all areas except wider (when fitting in tight spaces). 5.7L dominates the 4.8L in nearly every category: power, mpg, timing chain, etc... Plus better 6 speed transmission and 2016+ trucks have 38 Gallon Fuel Tank (I'd easily travel 600 miles per tank on mine). I've owned a 1998 Taco, 2013 Taco, 2010 Tundra, 2016 Tundra and looked seriously numerous times at the 1G Tundra.

tennesseewj

Observer
4.7L motor is solid. However, they all have issues with exhaust manifold leaks/cracks. MPG not great. Later ones with 5 speed and VVTI was slightly better. Turning radius is BAD!!! The 2G Tundra is easier to maneuver even with the larger size due to the tighter turning radius. Heck, the Tundra turning circle is the same a the Tacoma (DC w/ 6ft bed). And it turns tighter than ANY full size truck. Both Taco (all) and late model Tundra are better. Suspension not as easily modified compared to 2G Tundra or Tacos.

Other stuff I don't like: dash that resembles the oval era Ford products (Taurus, F150/250s, Expedition) and column shifter (no thanks).

2G Tundra is better in all areas except wider (when fitting in tight spaces). 5.7L dominates the 4.8L in nearly every category: power, mpg, timing chain, etc... Plus better 6 speed transmission and 2016+ trucks have 38 Gallon Fuel Tank (I'd easily travel 600 miles per tank on mine). I've owned a 1998 Taco, 2013 Taco, 2010 Tundra, 2016 Tundra and looked seriously numerous times at the 1G Tundra.
That's funny to read you hate the column shifter. I am the opposite, console shifters feel like cars to me for some reason.

tennesseewj

Observer
I have never done an oil analysis, I know some fleets use them as a diagnostic. What sort of info did you glean from your analysis? is it worth it?
Probably not worth it to run every oil change unless you're really trying to nail down an extended interval. I mainly ran one on the Tundra to confirm it had a clean bill of health. I don't plan to do another one on this truck unless I change maintenance schedules or suspect a problem.

They can be used to confirm/adjust oil change intervals, detect trace amounts of fuel or coolant in your oil, signs of accelerated wear, and lack of filtration.
38b29942e0550bbd0e6b599c5b5ff02b.jpg

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the information. Any issues opening the hood? The light bar protection isn't a big deal. My light bar will end up on the roof. What about your rear bumper?

All hoop options will clear the hood. All my armor is Brute Force Fab

This isn’t my rear but same once I get the propane mount. It’s high clearance where the bedsides need to be cut. There is also a standard rear with no cut as well.

a61d1aa7e7d41dbcbe870841a5031f1e.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle