When is it time to move on? XK with 180K and JKUR with 145K.

DesertJK

Adventurer
Hello all,

My wife has an awesome Commander, Hemi, Quadra drive 2, OME lift, control arms, 255/75R17 tires on nice rims. It is a ************** Commander. At 180K it is still fairly reliable.
But, it has 180K and it's 13 years old. Little stuff pops up all the time now, like the power windows failing 150 miles from home, or the seat ECU not remembering where the seat was 5 minutes ago.

My JKUR had 145K miles. It's built. Teraflex pre-runner long arms with Fox 2.0 shocks on 35's, bumper, winch, headers, intake, and tons more that would take several paragraphs to describe. But, it's been used for what I built it for. I would venture to say that of the 145K on it, at least 60K was on dirt.
It needs an engine, the manual trans isn't up to a Hemi, so if I went that route I would need a Getrag 238, the front axle housing has a bend to it, the transfer case make noise, the drive shaft have seen better days, it need a better power steering pump, the front seat are shot and hurt my ass after an hour, it has dents and dings all over it. But, I am attached to it and it isn't the easiest thing to part with.

So I am considering selling the Commander, the JK, my Mini Cooper S, my show new looking 1989 Cherokee that I just inherited from the original owner, and my comanchee. When I look up the values and other similar vehicles, it ads up to about the price of a brand new Jeep JT Rubicon. I think I could get over parting with my JK if I could buy one of those.
We would still need to replace the Commander. My wife says if we sell everything, we could also put cash into it and get a more recent Grand Cherokee along with the new JT.

My whole reason for buying my JKUR back in 2008 (bought new) was because I had a built Land Rover Disco 1, a stock Disco 1, a RR Classic mildly built, and a Freelander. Yep, we were Land Rover all the way fore a while and it served us well. But we drove the crap out of the built Disco 1. I bought it with 75K and sold it with 225K because I couldn't keep up with maintenance and repairs. I'm in the same boat now. I want to spend the time traveling, not working on it. My JKUR is great around the small town I live in, it has explored everything interesting with in a few hours of home. But I is too built up as an off roader to fell comfortable traveling 2 or 3 states away via pavement, and then driving home on dirt. That's what we like to do, and I think a nearly stock JT Rubicon would do that just fine.

How do other overland oriented Jeep people feel? I know there is all levels of financial ability her on Expo, some here have to make do with high mileage rig if they want to get out there. I get that, I've been there. My wife and I are lucky that we have had fairly good careers, no debt, no kids and can afford to upgrade. There were many years where $500 dollar beaters were what we could afford and we made them work and took some incredible trips. I am a pro mechanic with 25 years of experience, I can fix anything, and could probably keep either of the Jeeps running for 300K. But why?
How do others think about this? How long do you drive a rig for before it becomes too worn out to really trust. Just because I can fix anything, doesn't mean I find much joy in doing it anymore, 25 years using wrenches does that to you.

David.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Just because I can fix anything, doesn't mean I find much joy in doing it anymore

Especially if the breakdown is in the middle of nowhere and it involves the one spare part you’re not carrying.

It sounds as if you’ve both done well with your lives....so why not reward yourselves and enjoy a new rig?

I say go for it.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Bowling it down....Your Own Good Reasons to make that new purchase:

1.. I want to spend the time traveling, not working on it.
2.. I think I could get over parting with my JK if I could buy one of those.
3.. My wife and I are lucky that we have had fairly good careers, no debt, no kids and can afford to upgrade.
4.. I can fix anything, and could probably keep either of the Jeeps running for 300K. But why?
5.. Just because I can fix anything, doesn't mean I find much joy in doing it.

Listen to yourselves....you’re saying go for it too.

DesertJK

Adventurer
Thanks for listening. I may not post much, but I really love this forum and have stuck with it for at 15 years now. I think I just needed to say it out loud. I have a gaggle of Jeeps and the Mini that would make most people pretty happy to own. I walk out the front door and see them all staring back at me every morning and think "f'n awesome!" But I'll love that new car smell.

On the same note, I am selling my 2015 KTM 1190 ADV R. Sold my Multistrada 1000S, my KTM 640, and a dirt bike to buy it new. It is hardly broken in.
Truth is, it scares the holly crap out of me. I have been riding since before I was born (I have photographic proof of that statement) and racing since I was 20 in several disciplines of the sport (Road, Vintage Road, TT, Supermoto, and enduro/desert) I've ridden in several countries, and I have ridden just about every hot new bike from 1993 to 2010 model years (Moto industry as job)
It took me 5000 miles to figure out how to use 75% of what the 1190 has to offer, and another 2000 miles to realize that it's over the top as far as power and weight. Not quitting riding, just changing direction. Moto touring used to be fun for me, now it just seems like a good way to end up dead or in jail.

David

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
A real conundrum.....I like my old stuff. I get attached to them. I name them. I talk to them when they get me out of stupid situations, but I can also understand the flip side of the coin as well. It's a pain when they need service or won't pass the emissions testing the in people's republic of Boulder. But, to me, the best vehicle is a paid off vehicle and an older vehicle, taxes, insurance and miscellaneous crap is just cheaper. Also, you never have to worry about that first dreaded door ding or scratch. Like you, we're blessed in that we owe nothing to no body, retired and can pretty much purchase anything, but my newest car (97 Chevy truck) still makes me smile when I see it across the parking lot. So, like I tell my adult son (whose still driving his Jeep from his 16th birthday and is now two years out of college) if you want to retire in your forties, invest early, match,match, match, save, pay for it in cash and laugh all the way to retirement. Good luck!

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Where I live, you could almost buy a new car with just the registration and insurance payments on that fleet!

Are you keeping any of them because one or more of the others are unreliable?

Time to move on or consolidate. With the exception of maybe the Cherokee, none will ever become classics in collector demand.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
The Cherokee is already a classic...(if it hasn't been modified)

I would keep the Comanche too.

I am with you about the KTM. I told my 950 for similar reasons.

billiebob

I've got a Rubicon but I hate the 4:1 transfer case for wheeling. It is great for crawling with a trailer but if you are considering an XK with a 2.69:1 4LO.... you will hate the Rubis 4:1.

Unless you want to CRAWL the Sport/Sahara is a better buy.

The RockBox makes it an awful vehicle in 4L.

If you already have a Rubi, you know if you like it. Not sure what I read in your first post.

I was in the same boat albeit bit smaller Had a 08 rubicon 4 dr. OME lift winch bumpers rock sliders 35s terra flex monster track bars. A 800 watt inverter 3 tops hard soft and bikini even added 2 front cameras and a rear camera plus a bunch of interior. Upgrades. It had the lifetime drive train warranty all the 08sdid But when i found out that jeep wouldn’t replace an engine. Trans or whatever. If the value of the jeep was less than the cost to repair. I sold it with a175000 on the odo. And bought a new jlur Man oh man do I love the new one. So if you are tempted by a JTur buy it. I got everything except the hard top and lane sensors. Put anew super winch 10k synthetic line winch. On it swapped in 35s no lift needed added some lights Side rails and done. I suggest that youget the tow package and steel bumpers. Auxswitches I got leather and the heated seats If I was to get a jtr I would roll on 37s and add skid plates. I wanted the jlur. Because I wanted coverspace. For my 2 big dogs

As for motorcycles used to be a district. 37 racer. On my old tm 360. Switched to dual sport and road an Atk 604 Rome my foot in 7 places. Thank god for mx boots. Sold them all. Now a days. I think a Honda ct90 or 110 would be pretty cool. So get the jtr. You can find deals if you want to travel I flew from San Diego to Idaho got my Jeep for 6500 below dealers invoice drove home hit. 395 in ay got snowed on. And discovered that if the temp drops to 35 the heated seats and steering wheel come on automatically. :giggle:

D

Deleted member 9101

I'll take new and reliable over old and needing work any day. Unless you are good at and enjoy working on cars in your spare time an older vehicle is not all that practical.

rkj__

Adventurer
It sounds like you are ready for a new vehicle! You also seem rather value conscious. The JT is the most expensive vehicle in its class though, so it’s a surprising target for your next purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
I have a different take on the old v.s. new thing;
As long as the body and frame are acceptable (paint can be replaced) I tend to re-power the vehicle using modern parts and design technology... It gets rid of most of the poorly done previous owner "improvements" and gives me 200k to 300k good miles..before the next re-build. Unless it rusts away in which case I take a step down to a newer vehicle.. rarely are new vehicle significantly better, IMO.
That said I am getting older now so; if I do it again, after this TJ, I will have some one else do the build.
When reworking the power train I have learned to stay way from super deep transfer case gearing. Hint 4:1 is too deep for me for 98% of uses ESPECIALLY with an automatic transmission (manual transmissions, my preferance for reliability, depending on the gear ratios sometimes work well with 4:1 transfer cases, its very much a driver decision/preference.)...Atlas transfer cases have a number of options.
Axle assemblies are selected for strength and geared to the tire size (limited by the body ) for best (interstate) cruise rpm and torque.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater