Lets talk about camp lights

dr_r2r

Observer
My Goal Zero goodies came in today.
2 luna lights, 2 crush lights and a goal zero rock 2. Only draws 0.6 amps in my Yeti lithium 400.
It’s a thumbs up. ?

Attachments

• A00E0835-6836-436A-90F9-8B09A97D678D.jpeg
    A00E0835-6836-436A-90F9-8B09A97D678D.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 97
  • 7BCBBB78-A973-4215-B871-4152CC0EFB14.jpeg
    7BCBBB78-A973-4215-B871-4152CC0EFB14.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 92

DCH109

Adventurer
I use a yellow Everyready LED 6V lamp, the one that takes the big square battery. It is used to walk around camp, bathroom etc. I have a head mounted lamp I use rarly and only when fixing things on the trail.
For the table I did use for years a since mantel Coleman white gas lantern, but recently switched to a 2 mantel propane version that I got for free. For free I cannot complain. the green propaine bottles are cheap enough and 1 lasts me long enough for a solid weekend and longer.

I am thinking of going back to white gas as I am rebuking my camp kit with more vintage gear.

screwball48

Explorer
My Goal Zero goodies came in today.
2 luna lights, 2 crush lights and a goal zero rock 2. Only draws 0.6 amps in my Yeti lithium 400.
It’s a thumbs up.

This reminds me that I need to check the charge on my Sherpa 50s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hemifoot

Observer
HEY YOU!!! YOU'RE CAMPING WRONG!!TURN OFF THAT LIGHT,SHUT DOWN THAT MUSIC ,SHUT THAT DOG UP,AND KILL THAT GENERATOR!! WE CAME TO THIS CAMPGROUND TO CAMP!!GO OUT IN THE BUSH AWAY FROM EVERYONE ELSE, WHERE YOU BELONG!! seriously though,i got tired of being blinded every time one of us used the truck camper toilet in the middle of the night,so i put some red camera filter sheet under the light cover above the toilet,yellow under the porch light and one side of the campers outdoor side lights,and it gives me enough light to put the campsite to bed before we turn in.we rarely use any flashlights.the campfire is usually enough,except in august when there is always a campfire ban.we don't usually do "campgrounds" unless it's a long weekend fishing tournament.we prefer off,off grid camping and rarely have neighbors very close to us.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
We used to bring gas Coleman's to Mexico decades ago. Carrying that Coleman fuel along with a full stove tank got pretty unnerving plus the fuel was unavailable down there at the time. I have a ten gallon tank I use with a longer hose for my propane unit.

jpachard

Adventurer
For us it’s all situation and time dependent. If we get to camp late we bring out the Coleman, with yellow shade, to do setup and cooking. Once we are eating however, the Coleman gets turned off and only gets re ignited for dish duty.

Around camp we have headlamps and the dog has an illuminated collar so we can see where she is whilst camping remote.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

shu2kill

As I always camp right by the jeep, i put some led strips on the inside of the rear glass door. This weekend i took this pictures while cooking dinner on a camping trip.

With the lights OFF:

Now, with the lights ON:

I took a long led strip and soldered the corners, but now i see there is a kit on Amazon.

For eating or general purpose, I use a Biolite Baselantern. I like how it can be dimmed or set to a color light, i generally use yellow, so it is not too bright. I use a small cord to tie it to a tree branch above the campground.

And, for personal use, all of us always have a headlamp on. I am a Black Diamond and Petzl retailer, so we prefer those brands. I have a BD Revolt, because it has an integrated battery charger and is more than enough for normal camping duties.

Grassland

My EDC light is a streamlight pro-tac 1AAA. Has a 5 lumen and I think 30 lumen is high setting. Has a pocket clip that you can use to put on a baseball cap for hands free. It's my go to light, the 5 lumen low setting is super helpful to avoid blinding yourself, but the high setting is there if you need. Small enough to always have on you.
If hiking I also have a pro-tac 2AA which also has a high/low setting. Just for piece of mind to have a higher powered light if needed.
Have a 8 D battery Coleman LED lantern for truck camping, the light intensity difference is minimal between high, medium, and low, but we have had the same batteries in it for 2 seasons now. Plus the light at the inside top of my LEER cap.

My EDC light is a streamlight pro-tac 1AAA. Has a 5 lumen and I think 30 lumen is high setting

My EDC light is an Emisar 219c D4ti w/ 18650 or 18350. It starts at 1.7 lumens and ramps to 3800ish (and I use it on blast fairly often) so I feel scared to even post in this thread. :censored:

I don't carry any old school lighting generally as I just use my backpacking gear when I'm at camp, so it's mostly lightweight LED stuff. My only lantern is a 4aaa Black Diamond Voyager which I really quite like as it packs down reasonably small and puts out up to 140 lumens which I generally only use if I'm setting up camp or food prep or something like that. I go almost nowhere without my Nitecore NU20 high CRI headlamp though, it is featherlight and the options of running it as low as 1 lumen or up to 270 is fantastic, my most versatile light I own.

I just recently bought a Fenix PD35 for my EDC with a USB rechargeable 3500 mah 18650 battery. It is rather large for front pocket carry, but unnoticeable. I generally run the middle brightness level as I find the two highest settings too bright even in normal shop lighting. Using it outdoors at night I find the lower settings more than adequate and doesn't kill night vision. Battery life has been fantastic and having USB recharging is very handy. I plan on picking up a 2nd battery so that I can rotate them.

One item of note is I find that sometimes while pocket carrying the tailcap switch gets bumped. I haven't noticed any heating in my pocket. When this happens it automatically shuts down and I have to unscrew the tailcap to reset. Wouldn't be a problem if I carried in a pouch, but then I would be hitting the pouch on everything.

hemifoot

Observer
good little light.i carry one in the truck console with a 4 pack of rechargeable batteries and the charger along with an old mini mag.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998