Lets talk about camp lights

Sneaks

I live rural, closest street light or traffic light is easily 20 miles away. My town isn’t even a town or has a zip code of its own. Sitting in my back step is the same physical experience as camping for most - very dark, only sounds are nature, the air is clean and fresh (except when stinky kitty comes through to hunt grubs). I work as a Sr Sys Admin for a SaaS (and have been doing this long enough to not only have a Novell cert, I remember “upgrading” token ring networks to BNC), I work remotely from home, I camp to untether from work. Yeh, I use a VW bus to get there but it does have FI and when the AC engine dies, I’ll go subie. I love that it is analog, but I am also realistic, it’s easier and safer to set points with an LED headlight than a railroad lantern, my DD had distibutorless ignition, heated seats, leather, etc but I’ll cook with my 50 year old white gas Coleman because I love it, and I’ll use the oil lantern until bed. But, if I got go drain the vein, I’m not going to trip on my way there, LED is the name of the game for that.

take no ********, but do harm.

CampStewart

Observer
I think my fascination with things mechanical was in part due to my experiences cleaning and learning to use a coleman lantern as a child. I use LED's for lots of things but my main camp lantern will always be a Coleman. If that is lost in future generations it will be a shame.

Grassland

I recently swapped my 8 D cell Coleman Costco LED lantern for a pair for Streamlight Siege 3D cell lanterns. The Coleman is going to be gifted to somebody since it's on year 3 with original batteries and going strong.

The Siege has a mode u can set where it goes to ten lumens of RED lights from off. Worked great this Easter weekend. At -10°C I had easy 13-14 hours on that light and it's rated for 230+ hours. on RED function.
It's also smaller and more versatile than the Coleman was, and brighter in max white LED mode.

Still using my Streamlight protac 1AAA as an EDC (turns out more like 90-100 lumen in high, 8 in low) and my protac 2AA as my work EDC and main camping light. Reasonable prices, and I have a local Streamlight dealer that does all my warranty claims, which only my protac 2AA has needed and that's the tail switch after a few years of daily use at work.

I'm fascinated by this light here: View attachment 579835

Two led panels on a fishing pole. Brilliant: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32961773478.html

Take a close look at that thing; it's legit a repurposed collapsable fishing pole. Pretty genius if you ask me......lol. Might be an idea to build your own our of a collapsable flag mount like we use in the desert. Not the same cheap price but probably a bit more durable and less likely to sway in the wind.

You got me thinking now; if those lights are durable enough or find set of panel lights that are lightweight enough and this would be an awesome set up. Nice post, check out the flagpoles below; tons of options online.

RV Flagpole

trae

Adventurer
Take a close look at that thing; it's legit a repurposed collapsable fishing pole. Pretty genius if you ask me......lol. Might be an idea to build your own our of a collapsable flag mount like we use in the desert. Not the same cheap price but probably a bit more durable and less likely to sway in the wind.

You got me thinking now; if those lights are durable enough or find set of panel lights that are lightweight enough and this would be an awesome set up. Nice post, check out the flagpoles below; tons of options online.

RV Flagpole

Thanks I'll check em out! There's probably a point of diminishing returns -- the higher you raise it the less illumination you're gonna get.

krick3tt

Adventurer
I have most things, a Coleman lantern, battery lights and solar lights. The Coleman has a glass insert and is a bit fragile so it doesn't go too often, needs fuel. I have a pole for it but only used it once on the pole. It is really too bright. It is great for heat.
The battery lights are both cell and solar rechargeable. The strictly solar lights are both LUCI lights from REI and are the string type and the inflatable kind, each has their use. I like the solar lights as I can place them on the dash to charge while I drive and they are charged enough to last for eight plus hours. The LUCI string lights are great for hanging from the roof rack to tent to illuminate a larger area.
I also have battery and rechargeable headlamps that are really easy to use, directional, dimmable and don't have to be in my hands.
So, something for every occasion.

Thanks I'll check em out! There's probably a point of diminishing returns -- the higher you raise it the less illumination you're gonna get.

Very true; however it may be able to provide you a bit of safety lighting in certain aspects and places. For instance; out here in the desert areas and dunes, the more light the better at night so some a$$hole doesn't fly into your campsite at 100mph during the night cuz they are outdriving their lights. lol

Keep the flag up high in the daytime and bring the lights down low at night.....

I have most things, a Coleman lantern, battery lights and solar lights. The Coleman has a glass insert and is a bit fragile so it doesn't go too often, needs fuel. I have a pole for it but only used it once on the pole. It is really too bright. It is great for heat.
The battery lights are both cell and solar rechargeable. The strictly solar lights are both LUCI lights from REI and are the string type and the inflatable kind, each has their use. I like the solar lights as I can place them on the dash to charge while I drive and they are charged enough to last for eight plus hours. The LUCI string lights are great for hanging from the roof rack to tent to illuminate a larger area.
I also have battery and rechargeable headlamps that are really easy to use, directional, dimmable and don't have to be in my hands.
So, something for every occasion.

I have some solar twinkle lights and such too for the awning and campsite; nice moonlighting for sure. I do need to get some nice LED style lanterns though for hanging and primary camp lights.

hour

Observer
lights.jpg

I use a combination of LED solar garden spotlights that you stick in the ground blasting up in to the trees and the common wall-mount LED security lights with an S-hook through the hole where you normally drive a screw - to hang on branches. Also use LED strip lights (waterproof, come on a 25ft roll) cut to desired length under the camper steps and awning-not deployed in pic. Those two are on dimmers. Everything minus the awning light stays on until morning. The super bright one was turned to high mode for the photo but I always run them on low, and not on motion activated mode.

Guess i'm the odd man out... I have another half dozen solar lights not pictured that I take out and put around the woods behind my go-to spots. Those can lead to the dump bucket or another cool area to hang out. There's an awesome rocky clearing at the top of the hill behind site in pic, great stargazing. But in any event, if I want to go stare at the sky I can just take my chair with me and walk 30 seconds in any direction. I'm almost always solo and always in the middle of no where so light gives me a sense of security with two exhausted "guard" dogs and lessens the chance of me doing something stupid like twisting my ankle. I cook dinner late and ******** around drinking until bed so I don't really wind down for hours by the fire.

I installed much larger top notch 18650 batteries in everything, even crammed two in parallel inside some of my larger lights. The ones that don't get enough sun during the day are moved somewhere else (often windshield of car) and put back up at dusk.

Reactions: WVI

CampStewart

Observer
View attachment 580246

I use a combination of LED solar garden spotlights that you stick in the ground blasting up in to the trees and the common wall-mount LED security lights with an S-hook through the hole where you normally drive a screw - to hang on branches. Also use LED strip lights (waterproof, come on a 25ft roll) cut to desired length under the camper steps and awning-not deployed in pic. Those two are on dimmers. Everything minus the awning light stays on until morning. The super bright one was turned to high mode for the photo but I always run them on low, and not on motion activated mode.

Guess i'm the odd man out... I have another half dozen solar lights not pictured that I take out and put around the woods behind my go-to spots. Those can lead to the dump bucket or another cool area to hang out. There's an awesome rocky clearing at the top of the hill behind site in pic, great stargazing. But in any event, if I want to go stare at the sky I can just take my chair with me and walk 30 seconds in any direction. I'm almost always solo and always in the middle of no where so light gives me a sense of security with two exhausted "guard" dogs and lessens the chance of me doing something stupid like twisting my ankle. I cook dinner late and ******** around drinking until bed so I don't really wind down for hours by the fire.

I installed much larger top notch 18650 batteries in everything, even crammed two in parallel inside some of my larger lights. The ones that don't get enough sun during the day are moved somewhere else (often windshield of car) and put back up at dusk.
Are you afraid of the dark?

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
To make things simple, I would go with the brighter fuel lantern outside and a battery one inside the tent (led or fluoro will both do the job nicely inside) for safety reasons. And the reality is - you never know unless you try. They look not much different, but see what works best for you
Carrying Coleman fuel offroad in Baja was a no no. Long ago I converted my Coleman to LP with a 11# tank and flex hose.

Jman99

My arsenal includes:
1-a 12v 75watt low kelvin incandencent bulb of around 2000bulb lumens that will light up a whole sphere which is fantastic for cooking in a large open area. a dimmer turns it into a great night lantern. Lithium makes 75watts very doable, but 55watts is good too. Mine is setup on a small camera compact tripod that has a run of cable. Placed anywhere but really it just floods the whole area with even light, just the naked bulb so very simple a reliable.
2- a outdoor weatherproof led floodlight that sits on a camera tripod that can be pegged down into ground, so it can take the wind and rain, not as good quality of light but it draws 17watts so that is a huge power saving for near the same amount of light.
3-Fenix CLR30 for small stuff and in tent, I brought this becuase at the time it was only LED lantern that took 18650s. Most take AA, D or built in pack which is a big no no when you are trying to find longruntimes & easy replacments. this light is white & not warm, so that sucks. the firefly mode is great for tent sleeping as I hate waking up in picth dark.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior