2015 - 2020 F-150 Tires. What size are you running?

D

Deleted member 9101

I don't know why manufacturers supply passenger rated tires on 1/2 ton LT's.

No need for them for the majority of 1/2 ton truck owners. P rated tires are rated for more weight than my F150 is rated to tow or haul.

All a heaver duty tire would do for most people is drop their fuel economy and reduce their ride quality.

phsycle

Adventurer
If that were correct every Prius on the road would be running big fat tires. Tall skinny tires pumped up to where they really are a round tire roll easier and always give you better mileage.

Ok. When you have 100+ mile daily commute miles for 8 years with various tire sizes for your truck, get back to me.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
No need for them for the majority of 1/2 ton truck owners. P rated tires are rated for more weight than my F150 is rated to tow or haul.

All a heaver duty tire would do for most people is drop their fuel economy and reduce their ride quality.

For those of us who drive off road in rocky parts of the US, the heavier sidewall of an LT tire is an advantage.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
So I had been all set to choose the Wildpeak since I had them on my Suburban and they worked well, but then I saw that the price on the Wildpeak was now virtually equal to that of the BFG AT KO2.

The whole reason I went to Wildpeaks in the first place was to get a tire that was similar to a BFG AT KO but at less cost (when I got Wildpeaks on my Suburban, going with the Wildpeak vs the AT KO saved me around $30 per tire or almost $150 by the time you factor in sales tax. That's a not-insigificant savings that got me to take a chance on a brand I had no personal experience with.)

But either manufacturing costs have gone up (I think the Wildpeaks are made in Japan) or they have gotten popular enough that demand has driven up their price. Currently at my local Discount Tire the difference between a BFG AT KO and a Wildpeak is less than $5 in my chosen size.

So based on that I'm leaning back towards the venerable BFG AT KO. Any reason I shouldn't?

Grassland

So I had been all set to choose the Wildpeak since I had them on my Suburban and they worked well, but then I saw that the price on the Wildpeak was now virtually equal to that of the BFG AT KO2.

The whole reason I went to Wildpeaks in the first place was to get a tire that was similar to a BFG AT KO but at less cost (when I got Wildpeaks on my Suburban, going with the Wildpeak vs the AT KO saved me around $30 per tire or almost $150 by the time you factor in sales tax. That's a not-insigificant savings that got me to take a chance on a brand I had no personal experience with.)

But either manufacturing costs have gone up (I think the Wildpeaks are made in Japan) or they have gotten popular enough that demand has driven up their price. Currently at my local Discount Tire the difference between a BFG AT KO and a Wildpeak is less than $5 in my chosen size.

So based on that I'm leaning back towards the venerable BFG AT KO. Any reason I shouldn't?

I haven't been thrilled with my K02 for the price in either 235/80R17 or 34/10.5R17.
Snow is ok, dry pavement ok. Wet pavement not good, ice not good. Haven't been in enough mud or rocks to have opinion.
Never had a flat though, and have pulled out an S2 staple that folded up on itself rather than penetrate the tire.

phsycle

Adventurer
I haven't been thrilled with my K02 for the price in either 235/80R17 or 34/10.5R17.
Snow is ok, dry pavement ok. Wet pavement not good, ice not good. Haven't been in enough mud or rocks to have opinion.
Never had a flat though, and have pulled out an S2 staple that folded up on itself rather than penetrate the tire.

Wet performance has something left to be desired. But they’re great everywhere else. Dirt, snow, etc.

I will say, if I lived in places like Seattle/Portland where it rains almost constantly, I’d probably look at another tire.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
This putting you in the minority ;-)

Of truck owners generally? Probably. But not on this board, I hope. ;)

I don't really think it's reasonable to expect an off-road tire to do well on ice or wet roads. I don't know of any that are particularly good in those conditions. Here in Colorado, ice and wet roads are pretty rare since we live in such a dry climate.

All tire choices are a compromise. A tire that would be good on icy or snowy pavement would suck off road.

Yes, as I said above, sidewall strength is a pretty big deal out here in the West where rocky roads are the norm.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable

Had good luck with both

Boatbuilder79

Truck has 5100s set at 1.75 and an add a leaf in the back

Had 275-70-18 BFg ko2 e rated.

now have raptor takeoff ko2 c rated. they ride WAY better.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
We're in a pretty bad drought right now, haven't had any "significant" snow (which I would consider to be 4" or more) since early November, and no measurable snow in the near forecast either, so I would probably be OK with my current tires (not that I'm driving much anyway - I put 200 miles on my truck in the entire month of December!)

I considered rolling the dice and keeping my current tires on until Spring but I didn't want to be in a situation where we got a big dump of snow and I had worn out tires. I currently have 36k on my truck with the original Goodyear Wrangler Kevlar tires, which may have been great in snow when they were new - I wouldn't know since the truck had 17k on it when I bought it - but they are definitely NOT good in the snow now.

We can get some big snow storms in Springtime - heavy, wet spring snow - so I figured I'd pushed my luck long enough and ordered a set of tires yesterday.

After all the back and forth between BFG AT KO, Duratrac and Wildpeak, I ultimately went with the General Grabber ATX. This is a relatively new tire but has gotten some decent reviews. Cost is about $25/tire less than the BFG, Wildpeak or Duratrac so that's going to save me $100, which is not huge but it's not nothing either. I ordered 275/70/18s and the guy at DT didn't balk at the size even when I told him what I drove (DTs web page says they won't fit but I know they will.)

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
We're in a pretty bad drought right now, haven't had any "significant" snow (which I would consider to be 4" or more) since early November, and no measurable snow in the near forecast either, so I would probably be OK with my current tires (not that I'm driving much anyway - I put 200 miles on my truck in the entire month of December!)

I considered rolling the dice and keeping my current tires on until Spring but I didn't want to be in a situation where we got a big dump of snow and I had worn out tires. I currently have 36k on my truck with the original Goodyear Wrangler Kevlar tires, which may have been great in snow when they were new - I wouldn't know since the truck had 17k on it when I bought it - but they are definitely NOT good in the snow now.

We can get some big snow storms in Springtime - heavy, wet spring snow - so I figured I'd pushed my luck long enough and ordered a set of tires yesterday.

After all the back and forth between BFG AT KO, Duratrac and Wildpeak, I ultimately went with the General Grabber ATX. This is a relatively new tire but has gotten some decent reviews. Cost is about $25/tire less than the BFG, Wildpeak or Duratrac so that's going to save me $100, which is not huge but it's not nothing either. I ordered 275/70/18s and the guy at DT didn't balk at the size even when I told him what I drove (DTs web page says they won't fit but I know they will.)
Ha! I think I put 200 miles on my truck every 3 days.....

That size should fit no problem. I run that size on my stock truck.

Post some pics when they are mounted up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle