(partially) new Tundra coming?

Watt maker

What I have found funny is people fixed the condensation issue with a 1/16" drill bit...lol. The intercooler on the 1st gen trucks was a poor design that allowed condensation to collect, interestingly it didn't happen to those of us who generously applied the right peddle from time to time.

Didn’t really know I needed to drill a hole in my new truck until it was too late. I’m in the desert and I have a pretty heavy right foot. The conditions were just right that day.

I’ve actually had a few of these EB trucks intercoolers off over the years for one reason or another. Some have a lot of boogery slime/condensation in them and some don’t have anything.

skrypj

What I have found funny is people fixed the condensation issue with a 1/16" drill bit...lol. The intercooler on the 1st gen trucks was a poor design that allowed condensation to collect, interestingly it didn't happen to those of us who generously applied the right peddle from time to time.

Absolutely. The running theory in the ecoboost forums is that the people who run their trucks hard also get the best reliability. Ford designed the engine to be worked and the downside was, when it was not, things went sideways.

D

Deleted member 9101

You dont need the payload or you dont care if you exceed it?

You put 4 people, maybe a dog or two, and some camping gear in a Tundra and I bet you are exceeding payload. Its not about a pissing match, most people need more than 1200 lbs unless they just dont care.

And a lot of people dont care. I see Tundras pulling 5th wheel campers somewhat frequently and they are well beyond their capacity.

You are absolutely correct. The sad reality is many people simply don't care.

Reactions: bkg

86scotty

Cynic
You dont need the payload or you dont care if you exceed it?

You put 4 people, maybe a dog or two, and some camping gear in a Tundra and I bet you are exceeding payload. Its not about a pissing match, most people need more than 1200 lbs unless they just dont care.

And a lot of people dont care. I see Tundras pulling 5th wheel campers somewhat frequently and they are well beyond their capacity.

Payload is 1575 on mine which is fine for a half ton truck for me. All I carry is one or two passengers, RTT and rack, typical camping gear. Soon to be replaced with a Super Pacific pop up topper. I'm probably at about 1200 or so on average.

phsycle

Adventurer
Payload is 1575 on mine which is fine for a half ton truck for me. All I carry is one or two passengers, RTT and rack, typical camping gear. Soon to be replaced with a Super Pacific pop up topper. I'm probably at about 1200 or so on average.

Wow, that’s actually decent payload. What cab config do you have? Just to make sure, that’s what the payload sticker says in the door jamb?

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
You are absolutely correct. The sad reality is many people simply don't care.
Could it be a matter of expectations? What exactly is a reasonable payload for a mid size or 1/2 ton truck and at what point do you acknowledge you just need a bigger truck?

I ask somewhat rhetorically because of course I want more payload on my Tacoma but the GVWR hasn't changed hardly at all from 1979 to 2021 for a Toyota small truck.

Their curb weight has grown for various reasons, some to meet market demands, some regulation. Not much you can do about the gubermint mandating air bags or crash zones and all that. But there's a lot of weight tied up in superfluousness. Going to leather seats and infotainment adds weight over a bench seat and AM/FM radio, so complaining about lack of payload in one breath and in the next saying the next generation needs more tech sends mixed signals to manufacturers who have size and weight categories to meet for IIHS, DOT and FHWA. Do you (we) want a truck or not?

D

Deleted member 9101

Could it be a matter of expectations? What exactly is a reasonable payload for a mid size or 1/2 ton truck and at what point do you acknowledge you just need a bigger truck?

I ask somewhat rhetorically because of course I want more payload on my Tacoma but the GVWR hasn't changed hardly at all from 1979 to 2021 for a Toyota small truck.

Their curb weight has grown for various reasons, some to meet market demands, some regulation. Not much you can do about the gubermint mandating air bags or crash zones and all that. But there's a lot of weight tied up in superfluousness. Going to leather seats and infotainment adds weight over a bench seat and AM/FM radio, so complaining about lack of payload in one breath and in the next saying the next generation needs more tech sends mixed signals to manufacturers who have size and weight categories to meet for IIHS, DOT and FHWA. Do you (we) want a truck or not?

Personally I've never worried all that much about payload, because I typically tow heavy loads instead of hauling them. I also "backwards plan" when I buy a vehicle and buy to fit the load rather than trying to get the load to fit the truck.

I do see your point and agree 100%. My brother has a 2019 Limited F150 and I have a 2017 STX. His truck cost 2x what mine did and he has more power.... Buuut all those goodies nuked his payload, mines higher.

tacollie

Glamper
A lot of 1/2 ton trucks have crappy payload. My Tundra is ~1450. My buddies Ram 1500 is 8 years newer and only has 1000lbs payload. Most the F150s I looked at were within 100lbs of our Tundra. My solution is the sweet payload of the F250 at 3300lbs.

There is a lot of crap on new trucks. Personally I like to be comfortable doing 80 with the ac running. My 82 and 90 Toyotas didn't have a chance in those regards. My Tacomas do it ok. Tundra did it just fine. The heated seats feel awesome on my lower back. I'm guessing the new Tundra will have enough updates for the majority of the Toyota people. The enthusiasts will probably be disappointed. I doubt people cross shopping the big 3 will be interested.

tacollie

Glamper
I dunno. I consider myself a car enthusiast. I'm interested in cross shopping the upcoming Tundra, a new F150 and even....

A new style Ram 1500...

View attachment 641650

Yep. So far I think Rams have the nicest interiors. I'm just not 100% sold on the reliability of FCA.
I meant Toyota enthusiasts won't like them.

I don't like the interior layout of the Rams. Outside they are probably the best looking imo. I think the lower trim Hemi trucks hold up fine. I like the layout of the Fords. The Tundras feel caverness imo. I'm 5'9"and 180lbs so I like that the Ford feels smaller. I like the double cab layout of the Tundra better than the Ford supercab. My backseat is for dogs.

Everybody talks down on the Tundra interior but our 13 year old Tundra interior has zero rattles. All the electronics work. Maybe the other stuff is just lost on me.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper

I don't like the interior layout of the Rams. Outside they are probably the best looking imo. I think the lower trim Hemi trucks hold up fine. I like the layout of the Fords. The Tundras feel caverness imo. I'm 5'9"and 180lbs so I like that the Ford feels smaller. I like the double cab layout of the Tundra better than the Ford supercab. My backseat is for dogs.

Everybody talks down on the Tundra interior but our 13 year old Tundra interior has zero rattles. All the electronics work. Maybe the other stuff is just lost on me.
It would be a crew cab for me regardless of make.

We had two Ram 1500's in our work fleet. both had to have the top ends rebuilt. I *think* around 140,000 miles? Both hemi's. I believe they are 13's? Maybe the newer hemis are better?

Just like the features and storage the Rams offer. (love that center console that comes with the bucket seats... plus dual gloveboxes, rear under floor storage etc...)

It will be really interesting to see what Toyota comes up with.

Maybe it will offer the power / towing capability of an EcoBoost with the storage and ride quality of the Ram with Toyota residual value and reliability?

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck

As you know I'm both a fanboi of Toyota and think at this point I'd buy a Ranger over the Tacoma. But you're right. I bought into Toyota because of mid-90s Ranger dubious quality control. I have to throw out the 1991 truck as an outlier, not even Toyota will ever buy them like Toyota used to build them. So while I prefer just about everything about the Ranger to the Tacoma (exception being manual transmission of course), I'll be *very* hesitant should the time come where I can put money where my mouth is. Honestly, my Tacoma may be underwhelming relative to what it replaced it's probably still made better than average.

Reactions: bkg

bkg

Explorer
I wonder if the title should be edited. I think we are pretty confident at this point it's a little more than 'partially' new....

i'm not confident in it being more than "partially" new...

Remember the "all new" Tacoma for '16? it was only "partially" new.
Even the 2014 Tundra was marketing as more new than not, initially.

If i was a betting man, I would not put money on "all new" given Toyota's last 15 years of trucks. But I'll be happy if my cynicism is proven out of place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179