Suspension suggestions please

Luckychase5

Adventurer
Hi all! So I’m thinking about a leveling kit/lift fir my 2015 Ram 3500. I won’t be going super hard, mostly being a daily driver with some gravel and washboards thrown in. I’ve been going between Carli, Thuren, and AEV.
Looking to stay under $3k all said and done.

Most likely going to put on Carli’s overload leaf pack, as I’ve heard they do wonders for unloaded ride quality and do not effect load rating.

Obviously, Thuren and Carli basically offer the same things. Fox Shocks, could, and track bars. I am an Oregon boy, so I’m hoping I hear good things about Thuren.

I know AEV does not provide coils in their lift, but it’s an interesting system.

I appreciate your help, and testimonials.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I'd go all Thuren. I have Carli's mini-paks and wouldn't do it again. Not worth the cost for the minor improvement. Don suggests cutting the bottom overload down a bit instead. Chris at Thuren's a wealth of information. Armed with the information he uses many vendors some of which are supporting members here.

Those are all good options. They will all trend to the soft side for a 1 ton. If you are driving your rig empty and running it hard, which you likely aren't with a 3500, that'll be fine. Otherwise, make sure you are very specific about the weight of your rig and the conditions you travel under. Don's a good guy. Being local, I would go with him.

Luckychase5

Adventurer
Those are all good options. They will all trend to the soft side for a 1 ton. If you are driving your rig empty and running it hard, which you likely aren't with a 3500, that'll be fine. Otherwise, make sure you are very specific about the weight of your rig and the conditions you travel under. Don's a good guy. Being local, I would go with him.

Thanks man, I appreciate the help, especially from a fellow climber

Luckychase5

Adventurer
I'd go all Thuren. I have Carli's mini-paks and wouldn't do it again. Not worth the cost for the minor improvement. Don suggests cutting the bottom overload down a bit instead. Chris at Thuren's a wealth of information. Armed with the information he uses many vendors some of which are supporting members here.

Thank you sir, I appreciate the help. Cut the spring huh? Sounds interesting

jonathon

Thuren all the way. With Fox 2.0 shocks you’ll be well under $3k. Kings are awesome but overkill for what you describe. Use the left over $$ for on board air. Airing down works wonders.

Luckychase5

Adventurer
Thuren all the way. With Fox 2.0 shocks you’ll be well under $3k. Kings are awesome but overkill for what you describe. Use the left over $$ for on board air. Airing down works wonders.

That’s a great plan. I’ve got bags, but no on board air yet.,

I would strongly, and I do mean strongly, recommend against Fox 2.0s for your rig. I blew through a set of them in a matter of minutes on my 3500, lightly-loaded, driving washboard. Put the money toward 2.5s. The 2.0s will be fine on the pavement, but can't handle the weight and overheat quickly carrying that size rig.

D45

Explorer
I ran Thuren coils on my old 2004 3500...........I felt they were way too soft, with or without the front swaybar

I swapped them for Carli and was much happier

jonathon

I would strongly, and I do mean strongly, recommend against Fox 2.0s for your rig. I blew through a set of them in a matter of minutes on my 3500, lightly-loaded, driving washboard. Put the money toward 2.5s. The 2.0s will be fine on the pavement, but can't handle the weight and overheat quickly carrying that size rig.

I haven’t had this experience at all on washboard but I always air down unless it’s a short distance. To be honest aired down the stock suspension did fine until you hit a chuck hole at 40mph.

I ran Thuren coils on my old 2004 3500...........I felt they were way too soft, with or without the front swaybar

I swapped them for Carli and was much happier

This has not been my experience with my Thuren coils but that could very well be the difference between the radius arm suspension and 5 link suspension on the older trucks.

Luckychase5

Adventurer
I haven’t had this experience at all on washboard but I always air down unless it’s a short distance. To be honest aired down the stock suspension did fine until you hit a chuck hole at 40mph.

This has not been my experience with my Thuren coils but that could very well be the difference between the radius arm suspension and 5 link suspension on the older trucks.

What year is yours? Looking to pull the trigger soon.

Pnwfullsize

I would probably do a carli starter kit with track bar and sway bar. Dont waste the money on the overload pack, full leafs or nothing. Get the most shock you can within the 3k budget, after the cost of the front coils, sway bar and track bar.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.

Thuren's were too soft for my truck with the 2200# popup camper on .Great offroad but too much lean on curves. If I sell the camper they are going back on. I don't have a heavy front bumper with a winch either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle