Best Platform

eyemgh

I have never heard anyone say "man I sure would give up torque in favor of slightly better mpg. most say the opposite. I would give up a little mpg for more power or torque. People often swap gearing but I have never heard anyone go down numerically only up.

I think more power and torque are probably always better. I just don't have a clue as to what MPG compromise it will make? If the delta is 1 MPG, no big deal. Ten...big deal.

jbaucom

What size tires do you want? You want to haul a truck camper, not pull a trailer, so if you don't intend to upsize tires, the axle ratio matters very little with the 10 speed transmission. However, if you think you will ever upsize the tires from stock, then you should get the 4.30 gears. The largest stock tires are 34" (275/65R20), which doesn't force an axle ratio change in the configurator. As long as you stick with a 33"-34" tire (275/70R18 - 295/70R18) the truck will perform as the manufacturer intended. You should definitely get the 4.30 gears if you think you'll ever get a tire larger than 34" - we've all seen how that goes once you start down the slippery slope of ever larger tires.

Personally, I'd get the 4.30 gears. Fuel economy is going to be low either way. At least with the lower gears the truck is better suited to towing if that's ever a consideration for you or a future owner, and it will better match larger tires if you ever decide you want them. IOW, 4.30 gears give you more options.

jadmt

ignore button user
I think more power and torque are probably always better. I just don't have a clue as to what MPG compromise it will make? If the delta is 1 MPG, no big deal. Ten...big deal.
well I know it won't be 10mpg difference and it might not be any difference for that matter. How fast do you plan on driving with a big camper in the bed? hopefully not 80mph. If you drive at a reasonable speed for your load you probably will see very little difference.

eyemgh

What size tires do you want? You want to haul a truck camper, not pull a trailer, so if you don't intend to upsize tires, the axle ratio matters very little with the 10 speed transmission. However, if you think you will ever upsize the tires from stock, then you should get the 4.30 gears. The largest stock tires are 34" (275/65R20), which doesn't force an axle ratio change in the configurator. As long as you stick with a 33"-34" tire (275/70R18 - 295/70R18) the truck will perform as the manufacturer intended. You should definitely get the 4.30 gears if you think you'll ever get a tire larger than 34" - we've all seen how that goes once you start down the slippery slope of ever larger tires.

Personally, I'd get the 4.30 gears. Fuel economy is going to be low either way. At least with the lower gears the truck is better suited to towing if that's ever a consideration for you or a future owner, and it will better match larger tires if you ever decide you want them. IOW, 4.30 gears give you more options.

I run 32s on my Silverado. I'd probably just get the biggest E rated tire they spec. Best to set it up for flexibility later though. Thanks!

Klutch7

I think the 7.3 Ford Super Duty is the way to go. Now on to a few questions.

250 or 350? My gut says 350 as it would be smart to prep for a full hard side some day.

Mod the suspension or stock? If modding, what changes?

Transmission? Most seem to be spec‘d with 3.55 electronic locking. Any reason to choose something else? If so, what?

What else to consider?

Thanks!

Check your local registration costs. In some states, (Wisconsin), it becomes more costly over #10,000 GVWR whereas in others (California) it is #11,500 GVWR and up where the registration becomes much more costly. I would go F-350 all day if you can. The only differences are a slightly stronger transmission, suspension changes like a larger leaf pack in the rear and a diffferent coil spring up front, and possibly a different rear axle depending on how its spec'd. You're really getting the GVWR rating, which is more of an "on paper" upgrade.

Regarding the axle ratio, I wouldn't lose much sleep over it. I had a 2020 7.3l F-350 with 3.73 gears. It had the #11,400 GVWR option from Ford and had 4,295 lbs of payload. I wanted 4.30s but most dealers do not equip them that way. Unless you plan to run a 37"+ tire, I don't think the 3.55 or 3.73 should be overlooked especially if that's what is available on the lot. Plenty of guys are towing 12-15k travel trailers with the smaller ratios and have no complaints on power - just thirsty as you'd expect. I think this is mostly a result of the 10-speed having quite a few options to find the power band. Regarding the fuel mileage hit, tests have resulted in approximately -1mpg loss from a 3.55 truck to a 4.30 truck. So if you're ordering it, go 4.30 but if you're buying on the lot, 3.55 or 3.73 will likely be fine.

Regarding suspension, my truck had the camper and snow plow prep packages - the stiffest spring rates from Ford both front and rear and you could definitely tell. With a camper in there, it would likely ride much better but unloaded, my truck was rough at times. To combat that in the rear, I planned on doing an Atlas or Deaver spring pack upgrade. there are also cheaper options like Sulastic shackles. In the front, I planned on the Carli coil springs with a 2.5" lift coupled with some shocks from Bilstein or Fox. This would improve the ride and allow for a 37" tire. at that point, I think this platform is a great starting point.

I really liked my 7.3L truck, and only sold it due to the crazy Covid marketplace. I am planning on placing a 2023 or 2024 order for another one. My opinion is it's the best all-around platform out there right now.

eyemgh

Check your local registration costs. In some states, (Wisconsin), it becomes more costly over #10,000 GVWR whereas in others (California) it is #11,500 GVWR and up where the registration becomes much more costly. I would go F-350 all day if you can. The only differences are a slightly stronger transmission, suspension changes like a larger leaf pack in the rear and a diffferent coil spring up front, and possibly a different rear axle depending on how its spec'd. You're really getting the GVWR rating, which is more of an "on paper" upgrade.

Regarding the axle ratio, I wouldn't lose much sleep over it. I had a 2020 7.3l F-350 with 3.73 gears. It had the #11,400 GVWR option from Ford and had 4,295 lbs of payload. I wanted 4.30s but most dealers do not equip them that way. Unless you plan to run a 37"+ tire, I don't think the 3.55 or 3.73 should be overlooked especially if that's what is available on the lot. Plenty of guys are towing 12-15k travel trailers with the smaller ratios and have no complaints on power - just thirsty as you'd expect. I think this is mostly a result of the 10-speed having quite a few options to find the power band. Regarding the fuel mileage hit, tests have resulted in approximately -1mpg loss from a 3.55 truck to a 4.30 truck. So if you're ordering it, go 4.30 but if you're buying on the lot, 3.55 or 3.73 will likely be fine.

Regarding suspension, my truck had the camper and snow plow prep packages - the stiffest spring rates from Ford both front and rear and you could definitely tell. With a camper in there, it would likely ride much better but unloaded, my truck was rough at times. To combat that in the rear, I planned on doing an Atlas or Deaver spring pack upgrade. there are also cheaper options like Sulastic shackles. In the front, I planned on the Carli coil springs with a 2.5" lift coupled with some shocks from Bilstein or Fox. This would improve the ride and allow for a 37" tire. at that point, I think this platform is a great starting point.

I really liked my 7.3L truck, and only sold it due to the crazy Covid marketplace. I am planning on placing a 2023 or 2024 order for another one. My opinion is it's the best all-around platform out there right now.

This will live with the camper (likely a FWC, but possibly a Scout) on full time.

1000arms

I think the 7.3 Ford Super Duty is the way to go. Now on to a few questions.

250 or 350? My gut says 350 as it would be smart to prep for a full hard side some day.

Mod the suspension or stock? If modding, what changes?

Transmission? Most seem to be spec‘d with 3.55 electronic locking. Any reason to choose something else? If so, what?

What else to consider?

Thanks!
I suggest ordering/getting the "camper package" or "snow plow / camper package", especially if you plan on adding a heavy bumper, winch, plow, ... to the front end.

My suggestion is to choose the F-350 with the 7.3L gas engine.

The F-350 SRW 7.3L gas will have 3.73 or 4.30 gearing. I would go with the 4.30 gearing and the electronic-locking rear differential.

Keep in mind that there are number of things that impact payload. One of which is rim size because of the tires available for a given rim size. I suggest the 18" rims. This will impact the sticker on your door.

I think starting with a F-350 with the highest payload you can get will give you the best capability for a range of hard-sided campers.
Is the increased torque worth the decreased economy if we aren't trailering? Mind you, I know nothing about these choices. I've always just gotten what vehicles came with. Ordering opens up these options. Thanks!
The 4.30 gearing is used on the "Tremor package" with factory 35" tires. 4.30 gearing will allow for slower crawling over obstacles than the 3.73 gearing. 4.30 gearing will be (more) fun if you decide to stomp on the gas pedal. :) How quickly you drive and how hard you press the gas pedal will impact gas mileage with either set of gears.

GCVW for F-350 SRW 7.3L gas with 3.73s is 23,500 pounds. GCVW for F-350 SRW 7.3L gas with 4.30s is 27,500 pounds.

Ordering will allow you to get what you want while avoiding things you don't want to pay for. :cool:

I suggest ordering your truck with a bed. You will receive a "complete vehicle" rather than an "incomplete vehicle". This may help you avoid some issues, depending on where you live.

Maybe I just missed it, but, what vehicle configuration do you want? Regular cab, super cab, crew cab, short bed, long bed? If CCSB, have you considered the "Tremor package"? (need at least the XLT CCSB for the "Tremor package")

As I mentioned in another post, a F-350 with the highest payload you can get will give you the best capability for a range of hard-sided campers.

With the right choice of options, a F-350 RCLB SRW 4x4 has a payload of 4,960 pounds. This allows for quite a bit of truck camper, gear and people without even being close to GVWR. :cool:

Last edited:

eyemgh

The 4.30 gearing is used on the "Tremor package" with factory 35" tires. 4.30 gearing will allow for slower crawling over obstacles than the 3.73 gearing. 4.30 gearing will be (more) fun if you decide to stomp on the gas pedal. :) How quickly you drive and how hard you press the gas pedal will impact gas mileage with either set of gears.

GCVW for F-350 SRW 7.3L gas with 3.73s is 23,500 pounds. GCVW for F-350 SRW 7.3L gas with 4.30s is 27,500 pounds.

Ordering will allow you to get what you want while avoiding things you don't want to pay for. :cool:

I suggest ordering your truck with a bed. You will receive a "complete vehicle" rather than an "incomplete vehicle". This may help you avoid some issues, depending on where you live.

Maybe I just missed it, but, what vehicle configuration do you want? Regular cab, super cab, crew cab, short bed, long bed? If CCSB, have you considered the "Tremor package"? (need at least the XLT CCSB for the "Tremor package")

As I mentioned in another post, a F-350 with the highest payload you can get will give you the best capability for a range of hard-sided campers.

With the right choice of options, a F-350 RCLB SRW 4x4 has a payload of 4,960 pounds. This allows for quite a bit of truck camper, gear and people without even being close to GVWR. :cool:

I haven't looked at the Tremor package, but I will. My main goal was to build a fully capable rig as cost effectively as possible. Because we want more space in the camper, we'd trade the crew cab for a supercab to get an 8' bed without the ginormous wheelbase (still pretty long though). That probably rules Tremor out. At least I can look to see what makes it up though.

1000arms

... My main goal was to build a fully capable rig as cost effectively as possible. Because we want more space in the camper, we'd trade the crew cab for a supercab to get an 8' bed without the ginormous wheelbase (still pretty long though). ...
... A 2020 (new) (and with the right factory options ordered) F-350 XL 4x4 SRW Super-Cab Long-Bed, 7.3L gas engine, "Fx4 off-road" package skidplates, 4.30 locking rear axle, camper package, 397 amp alternator(s), dual batteries, block heater, XL value package (for cruise control), 18" steel wheels + LT275/70Rx18E BSW A/T, 4x4 Tires, and Integrated Trailer Brake Controller, has an MSRP of $47,210. A Crew-Cab would be about $1000 more. ...
Although the 2022 F-350 prices will be different, the options listed above would get you a capable F-350.

eyemgh

Although the 2022 F-350 prices will be different, the options listed above would get you a capable F-350.

That's exactly how I configured, except I added the STX package. :)

Tremor BTW won't be offered in anything below Lariat in 2022 due to the chip shortage. Sweet setup though!

tacollie

Glamper
My 6.2 with a 6 speed and 35s does great. I have no hesitations when it comes time to pass. It maybe come from 22 years driving Toyotas? A 7.3 with the 10 speed will blow it away. While the 4.30s would be sweet I wouldn't consider it a deal breaker if you find a truck with a higher ratio.

1000arms

I haven’t pulled the trigger yet. I’m still working on what to shoe it with. I only have one known, Sherptek deck.
Build your own hard-sided truck camper? :)

A hard-sided camper with fixed walls might be something to think about, especially if being mounted to a flatbed.

Although some people won't use wood, see the following two links for some ideas about using wood and plywood. Maybe @IdaSHO will chime in about using wood and plywood to build a camper, his is the first link below. Although the second link is about the trailer I built, the same techniques could be used for a flatbed-mounted camper. I would use a different plywood today because the ACX isn't the same quality today as when I built my trailer.

eyemgh

Build your own hard-sided truck camper? :)

A hard-sided camper with fixed walls might be something to think about, especially if being mounted to a flatbed.

Although some people won't use wood, see the following two links for some ideas about using wood and plywood. Maybe @IdaSHO will chime in about using wood and plywood to build a camper, his is the first link below. Although the second link is about the trailer I built, the same techniques could be used for a flatbed-mounted camper. I would use a different plywood today because the ACX isn't the same quality today as when I built my trailer.

That's very cool. Several issues though. Most importantly, no skill and no time. :p The more salient point is that we'd still do a slide in. We want the fold down flanks and hip pockets for external storage.

What camper is another question. We like our FWC, but there's a lot to like about Hallmark. What's not to like is that they don't have a dealer network and we aren't super savvy with electrical stuff. Alaskans are neat, but heavy, and a little old school in the décor for our style. Scout is also nice. Still looking at other options, including Bundutec. Again though, no dealer support.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78