Best Platform

D

Deleted member 9101

The exception is Ford's 7.3 gas engine which is powerful but extremely thirsty when loaded with a cabover.and some tires that won't let it sink offroad.

While it's not going to win any awards for fuel economy....the 7.3 gasser is 10k cheaper to buy than the 6.7, the oil changes are over 1/2 the price of a 6.7, maintenance is less, repairs are less, insurance is less, and in many places the fuel cost less. The 7.3 is an "old school" design managed by modern electronics. It's the best of both worlds, which is why they can't keep them on the lot...lol.

jadmt

ignore button user
If you go with a gas ram truck, you will probably hate the dial shifter. The 6.4 hemi is a good engine, but it does suck gas and the MDS is very annoying. Oddly my f250 tremor on 35’s with the 7.3 gets better mpg than my 19 ram 6.4 did.

for gas truck, get a Ford with the 7.3, for a diesel, wait and get a ram after then upcoming refresh, they are supposed to have either a zf or allison trans.
that is one thing I like about my 2020 Ram, the dial shifter. I think it was one of the smartest things to get rid of the regular shifter. I have been driving since the early 70's and thought it would take some getting used to but it took exactly a day to fall in love with it. I can't complain about mpg on my 6.4 (I hand figure every fill up and I have never been under 12 mpg or so and usually closer to 14 or 15 and as high as 17.5mpg if driving 65-70mph) but what I do hate is how slow it is from 80 to 100mph. down right dangerous when you go to pass someone who doing 75-85mph on a twisty road and can't get up a head of steam to fly by before the next blind corner.The 6.4 needs more giddy up.

ramblinChet

If you go with a gas ram truck, you will probably hate the dial shifter. The 6.4 hemi is a good engine, but it does suck gas and the MDS is very annoying.
I suspect the dial shifter is a personal thing. When I ordered my truck I thought it over and initially has no desire for it at all. My son is a working professional and makes six figures working on vehicles so I consider him a great reference and asked his opinion. He said go with the electronic shifter since it basically boils down to a $75 electric switch in the dash and a handful of solenoids on the transmission - easy fix for anyone. He said the column shifter are fine but when there are problems they take several hours to diagnose and generally require an assembly of parts since many of the small components that break are not sold separately. I ordered it not being really excited but after driving it for the past several months absolutely love it.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I still prefer the shifter on the column. From resting my hand up there while cruising down the road to that nostalgic feeling of dropping her into gear, it's just what I prefer and I am glad that the 2021 3500 CTD's still have 68RFE with the column shift. I have 37x13.50's on my CTD 3500 and with the tire size changed in the ECU and hand calculated to verify I am getting up to 22mpg on the highway, that's insanely economic for a 7400lb truck.

Grassland

that is one thing I like about my 2020 Ram, the dial shifter. I think it was one of the smartest things to get rid of the regular shifter. I have been driving since the early 70's and thought it would take some getting used to but it took exactly a day to fall in love with it. I can't complain about mpg on my 6.4 (I hand figure every fill up and I have never been under 12 mpg or so and usually closer to 14 or 15 and as high as 17.5mpg if driving 65-70mph) but what I do hate is how slow it is from 80 to 100mph. down right dangerous when you go to pass someone who doing 75-85mph on a twisty road and can't get up a head of steam to fly by before the next blind corner.The 6.4 needs more giddy up.
God bless america I need to move there.
It's a huge fine just to drive 85 mph in my province, or a good portion of Canada, never mind hitting 90-100 to pass anyone ?
Legit be a dangerous driving offence and license suspension.

rruff

Explorer
Id prefer to keep it, if we ever decide to sell, but have no place to put it. ?
You can get good money for them, more than Ford allows in a bed delete anyway. If you want to sell the truck later just leave on the flatbed.

eyemgh

You can get good money for them, more than Ford allows in a bed delete anyway. If you want to sell the truck later just leave on the flatbed.

Noob question, but where do you sell them and who buys them?

tacollie

Glamper
Facebook and craigslist. My buddy sold the bed off of his 14' Tundra for $1000 to some guy that got rear ended. There is a dealer that bus fleet trucks and flips them. My brother sold 19' F350 bed to a guy that bought a truck from a welder that kept the flatbed. He got $2500 and it had a decent dent on it.

skyfree

God bless america I need to move there.
It's a huge fine just to drive 85 mph in my province, or a good portion of Canada, never mind hitting 90-100 to pass anyone ?
Legit be a dangerous driving offence and license suspension.

My wife recently complained that I set the speed warning too low on our Audi SQ7 (500 hp). It was set at 85mph.

Sorry for the sidebar...back to truck discussions

rruff

Explorer
I've heard some flatbed manufacturers will buy them... and then they probably sell them to another middleman, who sells them for accident replacements. You can sell them yourself, too.

I might have trouble with my Tundra because the bed is 8' which is rare. A new F350 bed should sell pretty easily I think.

eyemgh

I think the 7.3 Ford Super Duty is the way to go. Now on to a few questions.

250 or 350? My gut says 350 as it would be smart to prep for a full hard side some day.

Mod the suspension or stock? If modding, what changes?

Transmission? Most seem to be spec‘d with 3.55 electronic locking. Any reason to choose something else? If so, what?

What else to consider?

Thanks!

D

Deleted member 9101

250 or 350? My gut says 350 as it would be smart to prep for a full hard side some day.

Transmission? Most seem to be spec‘d with 3.55 electronic locking. Any reason to choose something else? If so, what?

What else to consider?

Thanks!

I'd get a set of quality shocks and leave the suspension as is.

The gear ratio depends on your final goal. Are you just hauling a camper, or are you trying to haul a camper + tow a trailer + run 37" tires.

1000arms

What else to consider?

Thanks!
I suggest ordering/getting the "camper package" or "snow plow / camper package", especially if you plan on adding a heavy bumper, winch, plow, ... to the front end.

My suggestion is to choose the F-350 with the 7.3L gas engine.

The F-350 SRW 7.3L gas will have 3.73 or 4.30 gearing. I would go with the 4.30 gearing and the electronic-locking rear differential.

Keep in mind that there are number of things that impact payload. One of which is rim size because of the tires available for a given rim size. I suggest the 18" rims. This will impact the sticker on your door.

I think starting with a F-350 with the highest payload you can get will give you the best capability for a range of hard-sided campers.

Last edited:

eyemgh

My suggestion is to choose the F-350 with the 7.3L gas engine.

The F-350 SRW 7.3L gas will have 3.73 or 4.30 gearing. I would go with the 4.30 gearing and the electronic-locking rear differential.

Keep in mind that there are number of things that impact payload. One of which is rim size because of the tires available for a given rim size. I suggest the 18" rims. This will impact the sticker on your door.

I think starting with a F-350 with the highest payload you can get will give you the best capability for a range of hard-sided campers.

Is the increased torque worth the decreased economy if we aren't trailering? Mind you, I know nothing about these choices. I've always just gotten what vehicles came with. Ordering opens up these options. Thanks!

jadmt

ignore button user
Is the increased torque worth the decreased economy if we aren't trailering? Mind you, I know nothing about these choices. I've always just gotten what vehicles came with. Ordering opens up these options. Thanks!
I have never heard anyone say "man I sure would give up torque in favor of slightly better mpg. most say the opposite. I would give up a little mpg for more power or torque. People often swap gearing but I have never heard anyone go down numerically only up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle