New Overland Explorer Base Camp

HowardH

Adventurer
Yes and a very nice bumper. The only thing I would add, which I will do locally, is a receiver hitch. At times being able to back a boat etc, from the front is very handy.

The bumper is made by a company right there in Red Deer.

They discussed Radflo as an option with me. Offered to help with price quotes etc. I know Mark, the owner, really likes them on his truck.

Perhaps I don't understand exactly what upgraded shocks do but if you don't plan on traveling fast on rough road aren't they of limited value?

stevo_pct

Shake down trip was to Prince George BC than west to the Nechako Reservoir. See link above for pics. Camper performed admirably. It froze every night.

Nice rig! Just curious, why the El-Dukee instead of the Thetford cassette toilet? I'm in the market for some sort of porta-potty situation. It seems like the Thetford would be easier to use, but I have no experience with any of these (I just go in the woods but my girlfriend is not a fan of that).

HowardH

Adventurer
El-Dukee has less of a footprint, also is unattached so can be used outdoors. It can also be set right in the entry and use the shower curtain for privacy.

Main reason is I want the "closet" as a pantry for storage.

A less import reason is that El-Dukee can go with me in the boat as well. Also, I am expecting to find plastic bags of "waste" easier to dispose of then emptying the cassette.

HowardH

Adventurer
For wash board and whoops you may want to remove the single upper overload leaf - they will be loading and unloading and make an annoying, "clunk" noise.

if you want some BC info.

Ahhh Ha, I was wondering about that "clunk" noise. Thank you.

Thank you for the offer on BC info. I will certainly take you up on that. Can I have your direct contact info perhaps? You can email me at hwhomes@outlook.com

Howard

stevo_pct

El-Dukee has less of a footprint, also is unattached so can be used outdoors. It can also be set right in the entry and use the shower curtain for privacy.

A less import reason is that El-Dukee can go with me in the boat as well. Also, I am expecting to find plastic bags of "waste" easier to dispose of then emptying the cassette.

Great thanks! And you answered my next question as well. I was thinking a sealed cassette would be easier to carry to dispose of waste rather than an open bucket (which is what the El Dukee has, from what I can tell), but a plastic bag solves that problem. I guess something heavy duty like a trash compactor bag would work best.

HowardH

Adventurer
Great thanks! And you answered my next question as well. I was thinking a sealed cassette would be easier to carry to dispose of waste rather than an open bucket (which is what the El Dukee has, from what I can tell), but a plastic bag solves that problem. I guess something heavy duty like a trash compactor bag would work best.

Here is a YouTube video. (1) Boat Trash Can and Toilet Combo (El-Dukee™) | Fish Fighter™ Products - YouTube

Not sure about his method of wrapping and rewrapping with the same bag. I would not assume the "waste" would drop straight down and not stain the sides as well. That would be a mess. LOL. My plan is to tie the bag than drop it into another clean bag which you can then tie and pull back through it's self as he shows in the video.

El-Dukee, what a great name LOL" will typically ride in the passthrough and not in the cabin. As it is all aluminum it could also ride strapped to the rear of the camper and used to carry items. With the trash bag system of actual use I see the can staying clean always. If not it will be very easy to wash.

I had a Thetford in my old camper which had a wet bath. Make it easy to clean it as you could use the shower head and brush and simply scrub and wash. Can't do that with this camper. While it worked well there is a hassle with dumping, rinsing, washing and maintaining it.

While I have virtually no experience with El-Dukee at this time I have every reason to think it is going to be a superior system for me.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge

BaseCamp is looking great Howard. Glad you're enjoying it.

Regarding suspension, the factory F350 components leave a lot to be desired IMHO. Way too punishing and not properly tuned for actual loads. Come down to Oregon and drive my rig and you'll have a much better appreciation.

Question on the El-Dukee plastic bagging; are you think you'll change the bag after each #2 Dukee use? Seems like a tall bag for such a relatively small deposit if you know what I mean.

HowardH

Adventurer
I’d welcome the opportunity to drive/ride in your rig. I’m sure it’s fantastic.

Bags, yep one per use. They are just common kitchen trash bags, 13 gallon I think. Cheap.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I’d welcome the opportunity to drive/ride in your rig. I’m sure it’s fantastic.

Bags, yep one per use. They are just common kitchen trash bags, 13 gallon I think. Cheap.

LMK when you're in unappealing Oregon (hint; no one move here).

Copy, just too bad there's not a better way to fill up the bag more before having to change it; but the smell would be too much.

HowardH

Adventurer
Stayed in the camper last night. Got down to 18 Fahrenheit.

Stayed warm and comfortable. The Wesbasto furnace is great. The lithium batteries have significantly more life than the old lead acid battery and weigh far less.

Ninelitetrip

Howard, a question please about the truck. I started a thread about Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS) like 360 Camera, Reverse Sensors, and BLIS installed on some Super Duty. With your cab chassis Lariat trim do you have any of the ADAS stuff? How did OEV deal with it for the Base Camp installation if so?

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Curious as well.
And if anyone is curious about other setups as well, I can answer about my setup and BLIS; friend Forscan'd it out before my truck went to HPI for the custom aluminum flatbed. HPI also moved my OEM camera in truck bed tailgate latch, into their own custom housing on flatbed--same with rear parking sensors.

Ninelitetrip

Curious as well.
And if anyone is curious about other setups as well, I can answer about my setup and BLIS; friend Forscan'd it out before my truck went to HPI for the custom aluminum flatbed. HPI also moved my OEM camera in truck bed tailgate latch, into their own custom housing on flatbed--same with rear parking sensors.

If you don't mind can you post over in my thread with your answer?

Ninelitetrip

Yes, but I didn't know you had a thread too. I don't see it. Link?

It’s not about tires, so not much traction.?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman