New Overland Explorer Base Camp

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
It’s not about tires, so not much traction.?

Well let me get the party started then!

HowardH

Adventurer
Howard, a question please about the truck. I started a thread about Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS) like 360 Camera, Reverse Sensors, and BLIS installed on some Super Duty. With your cab chassis Lariat trim do you have any of the ADAS stuff? How did OEV deal with it for the Base Camp installation if so?
Couldn’t find your thread. I had no sensors by design. Simply don’t want the cost and complexity. Nor do I want to turn a $500 fender bender into a $7500 accident.

HowardH

Adventurer
I’ve over 20 nights in the camper now. A handful in single digits. One night it got to a low of -9 F.

Camper is super comfortable. I’m extremely happy with it.

I’ve not got my awnings installed yet. Hopefully next week. I did receive the brackets and shelf’s to turn the toilet closet into a pantry. Hopefully next week on that too.

Been in the process of moving and that’s taken time. Just got our final inspection this afternoon. One more task complete.

pawleyk

Running from Monday..
Howard, a question please about the truck. I started a thread about Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS) like 360 Camera, Reverse Sensors, and BLIS installed on some Super Duty. With your cab chassis Lariat trim do you have any of the ADAS stuff? How did OEV deal with it for the Base Camp installation if so?

I don't think the chassis cab rigs, that OEV installs the chassis-mounted campers on, have that stuff, as they don't even come with beds/bumpers.

SootyCamper

Really cool to see you in another OEV. I have a question regarding the fuel tank debacle. I nearly made the same mistake when I went to order my new ford. However the sales guy called corporate to ensure dual tanks as even he couldn't confirm on their order system. I was so bummed that I put the new truck order on hold.

So my question, Howard were you able to keep the two tanks? Was their space to hook up a transfer pump from the midship to the aft axel? I love the 7.3 and being able to extend the range would be awesome.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Confirming there's no way to have dual petrol tanks with the 7.3L Godzilla, correct? 40gal aft-axle on a chassis-cab is the largest possible factory petrol tank?

HowardH

Adventurer
I’ve no idea how you would integrate dual tanks into the truck. Ford doesn’t seem to have provisions for that.

The smaller inside rail tank would be in the way of the camper gray water tank. I suppose you could eliminate the gray water tank or discuss with OEV about relocating it.

Frankly seems more trouble than it’s worth.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
My question/point was that AFAIK, factory dual tanks for Ford has always been diesel only and on CrewCab pickup only, not petrol or SuperCab or RegularCab pickup or chassis-cab.
IIRC RAM allows factory dual for their Hemi petrol (or Cummins diesel), GM I'm unsure.

Odd though that OEV would put the camper gray water tank right where a factory Ford diesel midship tank would be.

Note that TransferFlow and Titan have larger replacement tanks for the CrewCab petrol and diesel pickup trucks, but not for SuperCab or RegCab (nor chassis-cab).

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Seems there would be plenty of room on both sides between the frame and bed body for fuels cells.

If you're going custom saddle tanks, but I don't see an aftermarket manufacturer wanting to offer those, plus it kills your under-flatbed storage box capacity.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I believe for the 1999 + Super Duty C&C DRW , dual diesel tanks have always been available: all WBs, all cab configs, XL and XLT. Not Lariet. At one point for the Lariets there was a conflict for space on the dash: tank selector switch vs a switch for some feature included in the Lariet trim. So for that stupid reason duals weren't avail in Lariet trim. Don't know the current reason.

Never dual petrol tanks for this series. I think the issue with dual petrol in the C&C is with the EVAP canister placement. Mid ship tank has EVAP can located where the aft of axle would be. Aft of axle tank has EVAP can located where the mid ship tank would be.

I'm guessing as part of the fuel system the can is required to be between the frame rails (although the diesel DEF tank is not always) or Ford has never had certified, can't fit in, or doesn't want a suitably sized EVAP can for dual petrol tanks.

And never dual tanks with SRW for this series C&C.

Dual petrol tanks on the Ford PUs are long gone, but not forgotten. I had a '91 RC with two small tanks.

Good stuff David.

Mfr's never cease to amaze me anymore(so many stories)...couldn't fit dual diesel tanks because the mechanical engineering dept and interior engineering dept couldn't play nice, and figure out a new location for an interior switch on Lariat's? Ha! Even with million dollar budgets...<SMDH> They should be paying some of us to put our passion into their work.

With a bit of creativity, Ford can relocate the EVAP schtuff on factory mid-ship CCSB trucks, in order to fit more tank(s). Ask me how I know. :D

You're right about dual petrol long ago. Maybe back when there were less NHTSA/FMCC regulations for EVAP and such?

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
With a bit of creativity, Ford can relocate the EVAP schtuff on factory mid-ship CCSB trucks, in order to fit more tank(s). Ask me how I know. :D

OK, I'll ask how you know?

What is a "schtuff"?

I would imagine the reason Ford didn't do that is because it didn't seem profitable, spending the time, talent, expense of customization for maybe 2000 units where the break-even might be 5000 units, just a guess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12