2021 Titan XD Pro-4X w/ Ovrlnd Camper

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
May I ask you how often you use the locker?
Overall, how happy are you with the way it works? My buddy's frontier delays a locker bit...

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
May I ask you how often you use the locker?
Overall, how happy are you with the way it works? My buddy's frontier delays a locker bit...
I've used the locker a several dozen times. Mainly it helps keep wheel slip down and avoids shock loads to everything and minimizes trail damage/mud throw. It's only been completely necessary maybe 5 times all of which were blown out road situations and lifting one or more tires. The traction control and left foot braking works great but the locker is even better. Overall it's very nice to have but definitely not fully mandatory. That said I will always have a rear LSD or locker on my personal rig from here on out.

Delay is super dependent on how aligned the gears are and how long it's been since it was used. Definitely helps to exercise it. Sometimes it's immediate; on occasion, it's taken 30-50 yards to engage or disengage.

I get to drive off-road a lot for work and we only ever have stock height base model 4wds mainly with stock or mediocre all terrain tires. Driving technique matters the most by far. A slight lift, good ATs, and a locker make for an incredibly capable rig and just a little extra margin.

Folks spend way too much time and money upgrading every little thing vs using their stuff and most of it is wildly unnecessary for 99% of legal roads/trails.

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
The reason I was asking about it is because there are many Titan SV and Titan XD SV on the lot that do not have a locker.
As you know it only comes with Pro-X. There is at least 5-7k difference between the two trims.
I was wondering if it makes a huge difference with the trucks of such size, especially for the XD.
I have never had a vehicle with a locker.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
The reason I was asking about it is because there are many Titan SV and Titan XD SV on the lot that do not have a locker.
As you know it only comes with Pro-X. There is at least 5-7k difference between the two trims.
I was wondering if it makes a huge difference with the trucks of such size, especially for the XD.
I have never had a vehicle with a locker.
I think you would be fine without. The traction control is well tuned (better than my lexus GXs) offroad and can get you out of most pickles. I drove an XD Platinum Reserve yesterday; felt very similar to my truck with a slightly nicer ride from the longer wheelbase. Maneuverability was fine. I'm heavily considering the XD as I really like the blend of newer design with older school simplicity. Drivetrain is just great.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Putting the OVRLND on this? It looks like you now have MORE bells and whistles!?
Sure am. Just need to get the bed sealed up, remove the tonneau cover, and swap over the bed rug.

This is a base model XD Pro4x. Wanted to max the payload but my 2020 regular Titan had every option. Lost the heated seats/steering wheel, power adjust steering wheel, 360 cameras etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12