Talk me out of a Chevy Trail Boss Duramax 3.0

rcintx

Adventurer
I'm looking to step into the new truck market and I am strongly considering a Trail Boss with the Duramax 3L.

My driving habits are:

70 mile highway commute, 3 days per week
Weekend warrior hauling lumber, junk yard runs, mountain bikes, ski's
Family of 4
Offroad on the family farm, hunting, and of course camping 1 weekend per month.
Pull a 7500 lb camper 5 or 6 trips a year.

To me the light offroad prowess and fuel economy of the duramax are a nice combination for decent fuel economy commuting and being able to hit the dirt when I can. It also looks like it will pull my camper with ease.

Anything I am missing?

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I'm looking to step into the new truck market and I am strongly considering a Trail Boss with the Duramax 3L.

My driving habits are:

Family of 4

To me the light offroad prowess and fuel economy of the duramax are a nice combination for decent fuel economy commuting and being able to hit the dirt when I can. It also looks like it will pull my camper with ease.

Anything I am missing?
I think the diesel comes with a payload penalty over the gas engine. So watch your payload if you're towing a 7,500 lb trailer. I have no clue what the typical payload numbers are for a Trial Boss Duramax. But it does look like an intriguing truck. If you tend to travel with family and have stuff in the box while towing, you may be close to maxing out payload. And it that 7,500 lbs wet or dry? Mine is 7,500 wet and the payload on my F150 is 1,777 lbs. Loaded with firewood for a week of camping and towing my trailer, I'm pretty close to maxing it out.

ChasingOurTrunks

My driving habits are:

Family of 4

Anything I am missing?

Do some math on your payload - with a family of 4, including accessories in Camping, you might be pushing at the 1500-2200 lbs payload of the 1500-series, but if you look at a similar spec'd truck at the 2500 level, you get a ton of extra payload.

I'm not saying you SHOULD go for the bigger truck, all I'm saying is make sure your current use case fits in the spec'd payload of the truck you have chosen.

Edit: @Todd n Natalie and I were posting at the same time, but it doesn't hurt when two people say the same things independently!

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Do some math on your payload - with a family of 4, including accessories in Camping, you might be pushing at the 1500-2200 lbs payload of the 1500-series, but if you look at a similar spec'd truck at the 2500 level, you get a ton of extra payload.

I'm not saying you SHOULD go for the bigger truck, all I'm saying is make sure your current use case fits in the spec'd payload of the truck you have chosen.

Edit: @Todd n Natalie and I were posting at the same time, but it doesn't hurt when two people say the same things independently!
Jinx, Jokes you owe me a Coke!

Kingsize24

I think the diesel comes with a payload penalty over the gas engine. So watch your payload if you're towing a 7,500 lb trailer. I have no clue what the typical payload numbers are for a Trial Boss Duramax. But it does look like an intriguing truck. If you tend to travel with family and have stuff in the box while towing, you may be close to maxing out payload. And it that 7,500 lbs wet or dry? Mine is 7,500 wet and the payload on my F150 is 1,777 lbs. Loaded with firewood for a week of camping and towing my trailer, I'm pretty close to maxing it out.

What these two have said should be heeded OP. Even if you think you may camp light, you will always be encroacing on or exceeding your payload.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
What these two have said should be heeded OP. Even if you think you may camp light, you will always be encroacing on or exceeding your payload.
Yep. When I loaded up the box with firewood for a week of camping and filled the water tank in our new to us trailer for the first time, it was an eye opener. No clue what actual weight was as the onboard scale doesn't tell me. It just cuts out measuring when you hit max payload.

This was also the day after we picked the trailer up so, I hadn't had a chance to mess with the WDH yet. Box was loaded with firewood as well. The 2" level I have on the truck probably doesn't help either.
What is the hitch weigh of your trailer?

1777.jpg

towing.jpg

rcintx

Adventurer
Good heads up on the payload. I definitely need to do some math.

I went back in my notes and it appears the last time I weighed the camper (loaded with gear, no liquids in tanks) it was 4300 pounds. I grossly misremembered that.

I have wanted a 3/4 ton truck for a long time but the rational part of me is having a hard time justifying the additional costs and the reduced fuel economy. 90% of the miles I will put on a vehicle are unloaded highway miles.

Fun part of me would love a Power Wagon or F-250 Tremor. More realistic part of me translates that to 1500 Trail Boss. ;)

ChasingOurTrunks

I went back in my notes and it appears the last time I weighed the camper (loaded with gear, no liquids in tanks) it was 4300 pounds. I grossly misremembered that.

I have wanted a 3/4 ton truck for a long time but the rational part of me is having a hard time justifying the additional costs and the reduced fuel economy. 90% of the miles I will put on a vehicle are unloaded highway miles.

Fun part of me would love a Power Wagon or F-250 Tremor. More realistic part of me translates that to 1500 Trail Boss. ;)

This is the best and worst part about choosing a new rig - it's dialing in which compromises you can live with most easily!

Something to consider based on my use case:

I drive a GMC Canyon, a midsize truck with a 3.6 Litre V6. It's always running just a few hundred pounds below my max payload as it's always got the drawers, fridge, cap, tent, etc. installed and we tend to like the "just grab your toothbrush and hit the trails" freedom. But, it means that it's always driving around within spitting distance of it's 6,000 lbs GVM, whereas normally GM Canyons would be running around weighing about 4500-5000lbs. That extra 1000-1500 lbs of stuff to move means the little V6 - which is a great little motor - has to work a good bit harder in my truck than it would in an identical truck that was configured differently. I see a big hit on my mileage - especially when towing.

Meanwhile, for a time I also had a fullsized truck that was also 6,000 lbs, but it had a 4.8 L V8 motor. So, where the V6 had to rev like crazy when going up hills, drinking a lot of fuel when doing so, the bigger truck barely saw the RPM spike up more than a few hundred for those stretches, and in the end despite it being a bigger motor and a much less aerodynamic shape, the big truck got fuel economy that was comparable to or better than the little truck, based on how I use it.

As you said this is worth doing the math on - you may find that the slightly higher fuel consumption in the bigger truck is actually a bit of a wash when compared to the potentially significantly higher fuel consumption of the 1500 series truck that would need to be working extra hard when loaded up.

2500 Diesel looks to be around 19 MPG, the 1500 Diesel looks to be around 22-26 mpg. Some quick napkin math here:

At 19 MPG, assuming an annual average of 20,000 miles, you would be using about 1,052 Gallons of fuel in the Big Truck.
At 22 MPG, assuming same annual average of 20k miles, you would be using about 909 Gallons of fuel in the 1500-series truck.
At 26 MPG, same assumptions as above, you would be using about 769 gallons of fuel in the 1500 series truck.

Average gallon of gas in America right now is $3.14 per gallon.

This means that your fuel savings per year by going to the 1500 instead of the 2500 will range from about $461.00 if you have a thirsty 1500, to about $889.00 if you are light on the skinny pedal. It's not a lot when weighted against the potential benefits of towing/hauling your adventure equipment more safely and easily. And, when towing, the economy of the 1500 series takes a major dive - down to about 13 MPG. If you are only towing a few hundred miles a year this is likely a moot point, but if you are towing regularly or driving heavy regularly, the hit on mileage to the 1500 series might make the 2500 series more appealing.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
This is the best and worst part about choosing a new rig - it's dialing in which compromises you can live with most easily!

Something to consider based on my use case:

I drive a GMC Canyon, a midsize truck with a 3.6 Litre V6. It's always running just a few hundred pounds below my max payload as it's always got the drawers, fridge, cap, tent, etc. installed and we tend to like the "just grab your toothbrush and hit the trails" freedom. But, it means that it's always driving around within spitting distance of it's 6,000 lbs GVM, whereas normally GM Canyons would be running around weighing about 4500-5000lbs. That extra 1000-1500 lbs of stuff to move means the little V6 - which is a great little motor - has to work a good bit harder in my truck than it would in an identical truck that was configured differently. I see a big hit on my mileage - especially when towing.

Meanwhile, for a time I also had a fullsized truck that was also 6,000 lbs, but it had a 4.8 L V8 motor. So, where the V6 had to rev like crazy when going up hills, drinking a lot of fuel when doing so, the bigger truck barely saw the RPM spike up more than a few hundred for those stretches, and in the end despite it being a bigger motor and a much less aerodynamic shape, the big truck got fuel economy that was comparable to or better than the little truck, based on how I use it.

As you said this is worth doing the math on - you may find that the slightly higher fuel consumption in the bigger truck is actually a bit of a wash when compared to the potentially significantly higher fuel consumption of the 1500 series truck that would need to be working extra hard when loaded up.

2500 Diesel looks to be around 19 MPG, the 1500 Diesel looks to be around 22-26 mpg. Some quick napkin math here:

At 19 MPG, assuming an annual average of 20,000 miles, you would be using about 1,052 Gallons of fuel in the Big Truck.
At 22 MPG, assuming same annual average of 20k miles, you would be using about 909 Gallons of fuel in the 1500-series truck.
At 26 MPG, same assumptions as above, you would be using about 769 gallons of fuel in the 1500 series truck.

Average gallon of gas in America right now is $3.14 per gallon.

This means that your fuel savings per year by going to the 1500 instead of the 2500 will range from about $461.00 if you have a thirsty 1500, to about $889.00 if you are light on the skinny pedal. It's not a lot when weighted against the potential benefits of towing/hauling your adventure equipment more safely and easily. And, when towing, the economy of the 1500 series takes a major dive - down to about 13 MPG. If you are only towing a few hundred miles a year this is likely a moot point, but if you are towing regularly or driving heavy regularly, the hit on mileage to the 1500 series might make the 2500 series more appealing.
Good point. But usually comparatively equipped 2500's are more expensive to purchase.
You'd have to factor that into the cost of ownership as well as potentially higher insurance and registration costs depending on where the OP lives.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper

I would think for that size trailer you'd be fine with a 1500. What's the length?

My previous set up was a 5.0L powered F150 towing a dual axle 22' trailer that weighed similar to yours.

My payload on that truck was 1,800 lbs and even with the box loaded with firewood it was fine. The baby Duramax would tow way better then that 5.0L did too.

IMG_0051.JPG

rcintx

Adventurer
Ahhh..... Can I just win the lottery and buy a vehicle for each use case??? I'm going to take a hard look at the HD trucks and see what the cost difference is going to be.

OP lives in Texas, if that matters. I probably tow the trailer less than 3,000 miles per year. Mainly to local-ish state parks a few times in the Spring and Fall. The trailer is 24' long dual axle. I generally haul around 600 pounds in people and maybe another 500 pounds in bikes, coolers, chairs, etc. That should leave around 600 pounds for tongue weight. I might be fairly close to payload capacity during these trips but I don't think I will be over.

Current truck is Ram 1500 with 5.7. Payload on it is 1264 pounds and 7,500 towing. Now that I look at it I am betting I was at or over payload fairly often.... Yikes

ChasingOurTrunks

Ahhh..... Can I just win the lottery and buy a vehicle for each use case??? I'm going to take a hard look at the HD trucks and see what the cost difference is going to be.

Yes you can, on the condition that you share the wealth with me and Todd so we too can buy the vehicles we need for each use case :D

Also I totally hear you @Todd n Natalie on the extra cost of the 2500s - that's especially true with any of the "lifestyle" packages. For a while, the 2500 series Work Trucks were very comparable and in many cases they were "on the lot" for much cheaper than the 1500 series, but in the last few years they've really rolled out the "prosumer" packs at the HD truck level and they get eye-wateringly expensive pretty quickly.

rcintx

Adventurer
Quick update. I went and drove a Trail Boss 3.0L Duramax and all I can say is wow. Very impressive ride quality. Drivetrain is very smooth and the truck handles well. However... The deal wasn't good enough to make it an easy decision so I left it there, needing to think... Fast forward to yesterday. Took my truck to do some honey-do's and it started misfiring and spitting and sputtering. I guess it is mad at me for looking at something else. I've got to get that sorted out before I can think about selling it or trading it so ANY new purchase is currently on hold.

F250 XL with off-road package and 6.8L

Or

F250 XLT Tremor

😁

I've been taking a hard look at these options. Same money as the Trail Boss and checks a few additional boxes. Specifically, payload, towing ability, bed length (I want to be able to sleep in the bed if needed). I did the math that @ChasingOurTrunks mentioned above and sure enough. It would be about $500 more per year in fuel. Not a huge difference in my option. So, in summary, I've got to get my Ram figured out and then I'm going to take a fresh look at my options. 3/4 ton gasser is very much back on the table.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger