Driving with Kid's...Options???

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I don't know if I'd let my kids roll around in the back of a pickup truck, but I do agree it is pretty silly that *if* something were to happen, and you'd done that, you'd probably be in big trouble. Yet if you were driving a small RV that is basically a converted truck, and had the same accident, and the results would be the same... nobody would blame you for anything.

Why don't school busses have seat belts?

I do agree that in principle, the idea is no worse than driving an RV, but the reality is, you just aren't going to be able to pull this off, legally.

Zaphod

Adventurer
Sometimes the people who make a lot of money are also promoting the right thing.

True. Their offering of safety seats and such to the market is the right thing. Their pushing for laws mandating THEIR products WASN'T and ISN'T.

Just because you don't agree with the law that says they have to buckle up, doesn't mean you don't have a responsibility to make good choices for your kids, and not let them act any which way they want to.

I agree wholeheartedly. But just because I have a responsibility doesn't mean that there should also be a law telling me how to do it. If it's MY responsibility, let ME exercise it.

kjp1969

Explorer
True. Their offering of safety seats and such to the market is the right thing. Their pushing for laws mandating THEIR products WASN'T and ISN'T.

I agree wholeheartedly. But just because I have a responsibility doesn't mean that there should also be a law telling me how to do it. If it's MY responsibility, let ME exercise it.

I agree that perhaps adults shouldn't be compelled to wear seatbelts. But kids are a different story. You would end up having adults making poor decisions and the kids suffering the consequences. That sort of cancels out the whole "assumption of the risk" thing.

Zaphod

Adventurer
You would end up having adults making poor decisions and the kids suffering the consequences.

Then you nail those adults to the wall, and deservedly so. Just don't make the responsible ones have to pay for the irresponsible ones.

ETA: I apologize profusely to you, hojhauler, for hijacking your thread. Sometimes I can't keep my opinions to myself. In hindsight, I should have here. I'm going to bow out so you can hopefully find a solution to your problem that works for you. Happy trails, and drive safe. :eek:

Last edited:

Bill Beers

Explorer
It's a wonder anyone from my generation (I'm in my 40's) managed to live past the age of six given what you hear from the "safety first!" idiots these days. :rolleyes:

I think that part of it is that in the 40 years from 1963 to 2003, the number of drivers in the US has increased 108% to 196,000,000.

Saying that by the rational of saftey we should ban all private vehicle ownership is a straw man argument.

Laws requiring the use of carseats and boosters for kids are not a problem.

-Bill

Jeep

Supporting Sponsor: Overland Explorer Expedition V
I too slept on the floor of my dads welding trucks enroute to the middle of nowhere. Today, I wouldn't think of letting my kids out of their seatbelts while in motion. You see, when I was a kid the population was smaller, natural selection did it's job, and I believe there were less idiots on our planet. Safety legislation and big brothers incriminate the boss policies have allowed the stupid to last long enough to multiply and as generations go on, there are a lot more stupid people sharing our roads. That is why we must be diligent protecting ourselves and our children.

That being said there might still be an option that exists very strongly in Alberta. We have many oilfield medics running around with fiberglass EMS boxes on their trucks. OSHA has made it mandatory that they are ROPS as well, (Rollover Protective Structure) in case of an accident. Google oilfield medic, and there are companies like HSE, IHSS, and others that use these rigs, probably one of the few and safe bets. Good luck.

Mark

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy

Sorry, but when folks don't take responsibility to buckle up, and end up quads or transported by chopper or dead - who is responsible for the cost? Who pays for the fire response? Who pays for the lifelong care? We all end up paying the tab. Accidents happen, of course, but responsibility is doing your part.

hojhauler

Observer
So.....Is there a good option for a ambulance type box, hard shell, utility box or something other than fiberglass topper that I could look at to help the family (3 younger girls) move around a little bit while on long trips pulling the travel trailer?? I am mostly thinking just when it is sleeping time to have somewhere to stretch out and get all three out of the rear seat. Of course the NUMBER ONE priority has to be safety for the kids so that is why they just can't crawl back in to a truck bed with a fiberglass shell and no seatbelts. I have looked in to all sorts of things like converted boxes, slide-in's, sleepers....etc, basically looking for something that someone else has done or seen that seems to work effectively and is safe like a small class C or B rv....thanks for any help or suggestions

maybe some have gotten a little off topic, it is not a situation of whether or not the kids are belted in, THEY WILL BE. It is not a situation of who or who is not telling me I have to take care of my kids, because THEY WILL BE taken care of by me!

It is simply a question about whether or not there is a safe vehicle modification that allows me to keep my vehicle and keep my kids safe while on a trip.

kjp1969

Explorer
maybe some have gotten a little off topic, it is not a situation of whether or not the kids are belted in, THEY WILL BE. It is not a situation of who or who is not telling me I have to take care of my kids, because THEY WILL BE taken care of by me!

It is simply a question about whether or not there is a safe vehicle modification that allows me to keep my vehicle and keep my kids safe while on a trip.

Yeah, back on track: In my opinion, the heavy lifting has already been done by the manufacturer in terms of safe, comfortable seating. You're looking at some pretty serious engineering to duplicate it, and you probably won't succeed at some level. I would suggest either putting-up-with-what-you've-got or trading on a suburban or excursion. We have 3 small ones in a Toyota Sequoia (8 passenger) and no one complains too much even on an 8 hour trip, but we have the luxury of splitting the troublemakers up between the 2nd and 3rd rows of seating.

Get a DVD player- its a life saver. We try to start a movie at oh-minus-meltdown and that usually buys another 90 minutes before a rest stop. Then we run the beejeezus out of them at the rest stop so that they're good and tired for the next leg of the trip.

Zaphod

Adventurer
I would suggest either putting-up-with-what-you've-got or trading on a suburban or excursion.

Agreed. Even if you could let them lay down, there's no way to strap them in so you still have to go with seats of some kind.

Some SUV's rear seats can recline back a bit while still having the seatbelt in place. Not sure if the F-250 has any kind of adjustment like that, but it's going to be your only bet besides making due with what you have.

Get a DVD player- its a life saver. We try to start a movie at oh-minus-meltdown and that usually buys another 90 minutes before a rest stop. Then we run the beejeezus out of them at the rest stop so that they're good and tired for the next leg of the trip.

LOL. Sounds vaguely familiar. Best money I ever spent was on an adapter to run my laptop in the car as a DVD player. :victory:

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Just a note, it's not really much safer to recline the seats and wear a belt than it would be just to not wear it in the first place. With the seat reclined, you're pretty likely to just squirt out under the lap belt. I don't allow my wife to recline her seat much at all. Maybe 15°.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Then you nail those adults to the wall, and deservedly so. Just don't make the responsible ones have to pay for the irresponsible ones.
And exactly how would you nail them? If there is no law requiring car/booster seats for children under a certain age, they can't be charged with anything in order to nail them.
To what degree of safety? I doubt you'll find anything that will keep them as safe as properly in their seats.

Zaphod

Adventurer
Just a note, it's not really much safer to recline the seats and wear a belt than it would be just to not wear it in the first place. With the seat reclined, you're pretty likely to just squirt out under the lap belt. I don't allow my wife to recline her seat much at all. Maybe 15°.

You certainly wouldn't be able to recline them flat. Even doing only 15 degrees or so, the sholder belt becomes less effective since it's no longer in contact with the body (depends on where the pillars of the vehicle are unless the shoulder strap mount moves with the seat). It's the same problem with laying down in back. Sure, you could strap them DOWN somehow, but if the vehicle hits something those kids are going to move forward. Flip them around and they're at risk if the vehicle is hit from behind.

I'm wondering if anyone sells a supplemental restraint system that would allow the use of reclined seats yet still provide decent retention? Obviously it would need to move with the seat. Something like a 5-point belt...

Bill Beers

Explorer
I'm wondering if anyone sells a supplemental restraint system that would allow the use of reclined seats yet still provide decent retention? Obviously it would need to move with the seat. Something like a 5-point belt...

I'm pretty sure that my buddy's '04(?) Tahoe has the shoulder belts in the upright portion of the seat, so no matter the angle of the seatback, the shoulder belt is alway in the same place.

FrontSeat_Big.JPG

The lap belt is standard however. With out an anti-sub strap, I'd worry about slipping out from under the belt.

That's why we have to have these in our rally car, (and undoubtedly why infant seat, which are way reclinced, have 5-point harnesses as well.):

1172-G-FORCE-PRO-SERIES-5-PT-CAMLOCK-HARNESS-SET.jpg

Last edited:

chet

island Explorer
ya our kid loved his 5 points! When I take the seat out to clean I strap him in and hold him upside down. He loves it and gives me a chance to check its function! :D. Although now he can stand up and walk around with it strapped to his butt. funny!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12