Driving with Kid's...Options???

michaelgroves

Explorer
And for the record, yes, I've seen the results of people not wearing seatbelts. No, they're not pretty. It still doesn't convince me that government needs to FORCE us to wear them. Besides, people die when wearing seatbelts, too.

I agree with you on that point. As you can see from my sig, I think we spend far too much of our lives trying to prevent our untimely deaths, and the only effect is statistical. Crazy idiots still often survive, and cautious fraidy-cats still often die young. Who is anyone to tell me I must wear a seatbelt?

However, let's face it, the payoff for any life-threatening risk has to be very very good for it to be a worthwhile bet. And the benefit of driving without seatbelts doesn't seem to me to be a satisfactory tradeoff. Overall I like Harald's approach:
What we do is pace ourselves. We have frequent stops, and make sure that kid #1 (#2 is still a toddler) runs around a bit when we're stationary. It's good for the driver too, as long hauls tend to take a toll on concentration - at least mine.

Keep the kids as comfortable as possible, with their stuff within reach and in a comfortable seat.

Don't give them sweets while driving - most kids become restless from the sugar "high".

hojhauler

Observer
without getting in to another full on debate about seat belts, this is kind of the option I was originally talking about. A box with a small pass through that kids could have some room while traveling....but where would one find such a box?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Other-Vehicles-Trailers___2002-Ford-F550-Diesel-4x4-Crew-Carrier-Truck-Elko_W0QQitemZ150322486516QQddnZOtherQ20VehiclesQ20Q26Q20TrailersQQddiZ2828QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCommercial_Trucks?hash=item150322486516&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A317%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

hojhauler

Observer
What the heck, I grew up with teter totors ans merry go rounds, and I'm still here...............

yeah, you and me both....I guess this like most of the trucks on this site is/ would be more of a toy for me, the big kid!

keating

When my wife wrote off our car on the highway three years ago, we got the bill for all Emergency response. Our Auto insurance covered it, thankfully.
The insurance company recovered it over a couple years with increased premiums.

Ongoing health care for someone with long term issues (paralyzed, coma, etc), it would depend where you live. In Canada, it would be the taxpayers burden. In the US, I guess, it would be the person at fault for the accident.

Sorry, but when folks don't take responsibility to buckle up, and end up quads or transported by chopper or dead - who is responsible for the cost? Who pays for the fire response? Who pays for the lifelong care? We all end up paying the tab. Accidents happen, of course, but responsibility is doing your part.

keating

There's always a "catch all".
Say, wreckless endangerment?
If a child died, there's involuntary manslaughter.

And exactly how would you nail them? If there is no law requiring car/booster seats for children under a certain age, they can't be charged with anything in order to nail them.

when i was a young'n, my dad drove a 68 chevy single cam, with a cap and a carped kit in the back, he installed a steel pipe across the back of the bed attached seat belts and all 3 of us kids just sat in the bed with the rear cab window open for years.

I'm still here...:sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior