Apalachian trail

Something

Adventurer
I thru-hiked the AT in 2004.
Great experience.
Let me know if you have any questions.

It's all about going ultralite. My pack baseweight was 9 pounds. Food more than doubled it but evenso...under 25 pounds is the weigh to go.

My trail name was Wandering Bear.

Something

Adventurer
Is it better to go from Maine to Georgia

People do it but it's tricky to time the weather. Katahdin (the northern terminus) is only open late spring to late fall.

Another option is a 'flip-flop' where you do katahdin to mid-way then Springer (southern terminus) to mid-way....or vice versa.

Something

Adventurer
Also on equipment I would suggest a good external frame backpack, tent and sleeping bag, the compact kind made for backpacking. Sorry if I am being obvious. What time of year would you be planning on going?

I think external frame is a poor suggestion. After 1985 they are outnumbered on the trail 1 to 100. Internal frame (or even no frame) packs are the way to go. Down will stuff best but is a pita if it gets wet (and it will). Also, tents are super heavy and bulky...go with a tarp and ground cloth.
June is waaaaaay too late. I started March 1 and finished July 22. I saw some snow south starting that early but beating the flies to Mass was worth it.

Something

Adventurer
What type of tarp and ground cloth do you recomend?

I like this:
http://www.golite.com/Product/proddetail.aspx?p=SH6119&s=1

...with no ground cloth.
I just use a 3/4 ridgerest straight on the ground.
If it's so rainy or muddy that a ground cloth is absolutely necessary, just find a shelter. On average there is one every 8-10 miles (originally meant to be spread a days hike apart...although a respectable backpacker will cover atleast double that/day).

hikingff77

Adventurer
I'd love to do the whole thing. I read about it, hike parts often and discuss it constantly. Right now isn't the best time. I never went away to college and always worked so getting off for 6 months was a MMMMM and now that I'm married with a child on the way, it'd be a bit tough.

Something

Adventurer
I'd love to do the whole thing. I read about it, hike parts often and discuss it constantly. Right now isn't the best time. I never went away to college and always worked so getting off for 6 months was a MMMMM and now that I'm married with a child on the way, it'd be a bit tough.

My fear of having your story (like so many other with the same story) is why I decided to take a semester off of college and just do it.

Having said that, I know a lot of people who have pieced together the entire trail and become what is called a 2,000 miler. They are recognized just like thruhikers and I think it would be an excellenet experience.

If you're able to do a couple long weekends and maybe a full week or two a year you'd have it nocked off in no time.

Good luck!

:elkgrin:

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
That may be what I will have to do. I have twins who are 4 and my wife isn't to happy about me going for that long period of time. Wish I had done it in college when I had the chance.

Superu

Explorer
That may be what I will have to do. I have twins who are 4 and my wife isn't to happy about me going for that long period of time. Wish I had done it in college when I had the chance.

Get the kids started on short hiking adventures now and take 'em with you when they're older!

Mine are 4, 7 & 9 and have been hiking since each was able to walk. They all carry their own camelbacks and snacks as well.

Otherwise, I'd agree with some of the other folks who've suggested hiking it in pieces.

Key is to make it enjoyable. Don't try to do too much at once and enjoy the journey. If you're interested, I have a great treadmill hiking workout that I use through the winter when my outdoors time is down.

Have fun. :)

hikingff77

Adventurer
My fear of having your story (like so many other with the same story) is why I decided to take a semester off of college and just do it.

Having said that, I know a lot of people who have pieced together the entire trail and become what is called a 2,000 miler. They are recognized just like thruhikers and I think it would be an excellenet experience.

If you're able to do a couple long weekends and maybe a full week or two a year you'd have it nocked off in no time.

Good luck!

:elkgrin:

I agree with you. I never had the luxury though from the get go. I only had one chance in my life while working for crappy job after crappy job after HS but I was so car poor, because I had money and bought a new car, I couldn't do that.

When I live this life over again, things, might, be different in that department.

Any pictures from your trip? Still hiking?

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
Get the kids started on short hiking adventures now and take 'em with you when they're older!

Mine are 4, 7 & 9 and have been hiking since each was able to walk. They all carry their own camelbacks and snacks as well.

Otherwise, I'd agree with some of the other folks who've suggested hiking it in pieces.

Key is to make it enjoyable. Don't try to do too much at once and enjoy the journey. If you're interested, I have a great treadmill hiking workout that I use through the winter when my outdoors time is down.

Have fun. :)
My two do like to go hiking in the woods. Maybe this year I will have them carry camelbacks and their own snacks.

DAJA

Observer
Most important tip, aim to keep your pack under 25lbs but expect at least in the beginning to be around 35lbs. As was said earilier, use a good quality tarp or hammock system for shelter. If you plan to use a tent, aim for one under 4lbs but that is going to be one expensive tent. On thru hiking trips, every ounce counts. Weight every item idividually while packing and then determine if it is necassary. By the end of the first week, you'll be suprised what you've eliminated from your pack.

Keep meals simple but nutritious, you'll be too tired to prepare a gourmet meal.

Learn before you leave how to properly hang a bear bag... It's not just the bears that want your food...

Nothing will prepare you for the onslaught of insects through the 100 miles of maine. The flies will literally drive you out of the woods... You just have to suffer through it... Once you hit the summit of Katahdin you'll be glad you perservered.

Read Bill Bryson's "A Walk In the Woods". Good read and very funny and informational...

Enjoy Everyday!

kerry

Expedition Leader
I did the Long Trail portion in Vermont back in the 70's for a couple of weeks. We had a young infant in diapers along. I have a distinct memory of burning diapers in the fire every night. The best were the ones that had to have the moisture boiled away before igniting. But it did prove that it's doable with young kids. The mother carried the kid only. The rest of us carried all the gear.

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
Most important tip, aim to keep your pack under 25lbs but expect at least in the beginning to be around 35lbs. As was said earilier, use a good quality tarp or hammock system for shelter. If you plan to use a tent, aim for one under 4lbs but that is going to be one expensive tent. On thru hiking trips, every ounce counts. Weight every item idividually while packing and then determine if it is necassary. By the end of the first week, you'll be suprised what you've eliminated from your pack.

Keep meals simple but nutritious, you'll be too tired to prepare a gourmet meal.

Learn before you leave how to properly hang a bear bag... It's not just the bears that want your food...

Nothing will prepare you for the onslaught of insects through the 100 miles of maine. The flies will literally drive you out of the woods... You just have to suffer through it... Once you hit the summit of Katahdin you'll be glad you perservered.

Read Bill Bryson's "A Walk In the Woods". Good read and very funny and informational...

Enjoy Everyday!
Will check that book out. Thank you:coffeedrink:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle