Apalachian trail

DAJA

Observer
I was talking this thread over last night with my GF/hiking partner and she reminded me of the rodent problem at many of the AT Shelters... So another point, if you can at all avoid it, which is fairly easy to do, try to camp at non desinated camping areas... It seems the rodent population of the AT has learned that humans mean food..

Be sure to make time for the scenic outlooks, much of the AT is in tree cover, so you often have to take detours to see the scenic outlooks..

And make time to talk to fellow hikers along the way, you'll learn all kinds of valuable information regarding trail conditions and tricks and tips for making your journey a little less daunting.

Superu

Explorer
I have a distinct memory of burning diapers in the fire every night. The best were the ones that had to have the moisture boiled away before igniting.

It's gross and funny all at the same time! :eek: Hope you burned them after you were done cooking dinner! :chowtime:

DAJA

Observer
I did the Long Trail portion in Vermont back in the 70's for a couple of weeks. We had a young infant in diapers along. I have a distinct memory of burning diapers in the fire every night. The best were the ones that had to have the moisture boiled away before igniting. But it did prove that it's doable with young kids. The mother carried the kid only. The rest of us carried all the gear.

I was telling my GF about your story, since we are planning to have our first child within the next year or so. To my suprise, she was totally on board for such an adventure. She said she had just assumed that we would find a way to continue our outdoor adventures one way or another. Neither of us had considered the issues of diapers, and we both got a good laugh at the thought of it...

Something

Adventurer
Couple things:

I don't have any digital photos of my hiking....and I don't have a scanner...but may look into it. I have some great panaramic shots.

Bill Bryson's book is CRAP....don't read it for anything other than entertainment. He didn't even hike the trail. His story is fully BS! He hiked for 10 days (this is all verifiable via trail logs and check stations) and pretended he thruhiked. Any real thruhiker has great resentment for his story.

Also, Please DO NOT camp at nondesignated camping locations! If everyone did that the trail wouldn't be what it is today. It would be junk. Yes, some (probably half) of the shelters have some mice. You will hear them as you fall asleep walking around and might even see a couple. It's part of the experience. They won't do anything to you. Your pack and food bag are all you have to worry about and if they're hung properly that will be a non-issue.

:victory:

98roamer

Explorer
I was just on the trail last weekend. There is no camping in non designated areas. The park has been really improving the shelters the past couple of years and they are really nice and fit a national park. The problem is when people are sloppy when preparing food IN the shelter. That spilled food attracts mice and mice attracts snakes. Both of which don't bother you.

Staying in the cabins up on Mt. LeConte we could hear mice and they chewed a hole in a friends pack because it wanted to get to her chap stick. But they're really no big deal. Just don't prepare food in a shelter used for sleeping and be sensible about wearing bear perfume. :eatchicke

Last edited:

Something

Adventurer
whats the cost of a trip? and i mean everything, prep, food, travel.

you can read this which states approximately $1.50 per mile.
http://www.outdoors.org/conservation/trails/at/at-faq.cfm

I did it for much cheaper. I'm sure many did it for cheaper than me...and likewise, I'm sure many have spent upwards of $5,000 on their trip.

Some people stay in lots of hotels, eat in town and live it up when possible. I wasn't totally against that but I only stayed in two hotels which added about $150 to the trip.

My equipment was about $1000...biggest costs being tent, pack, shoes, poles.

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
Superu I'd be interested in your treadmill hiking workout...for us in Phoenix its more of the summer months when I hit the trails less and less.

Also, not that I'm doing this hike next week, but does anyone have a good book they do recommend?

Something

Adventurer
Superu I'd be interested in your treadmill hiking workout...for us in Phoenix its more of the summer months when I hit the trails less and less.

Also, not that I'm doing this hike next week, but does anyone have a good book they do recommend?

I really like Ray Jardine's books. They're the most informative.

nismo4x4

Observer
I love the AT! Bill Brysons book is hilarious...it is the kind of whit that only a hiker could get! If you are going to thru hike, the shelters are the way to go but a word of caution...there may be some days where the 20 miles between shelters isnt doable...at least take a tarp to hide from rain under!

Me and my dad have been section hiking for about 5 years now, done most of virginia...its alot of fun!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998