RTT why so much $$$$

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Mike S said:
I am in this business - the RTT business - so I'll pipe in with a few comments...

I would never discourage anyone from doing their own thing, even building something that is mounted on the roof of a vehicle and travels down the road at 70 MPH, holds and protects him and possibly his family, and that should last for years of use.

As a distributor, I buy tents which I pay for in advance by wire transfer in currency that fluctuates in cost, have the products transported in ocean containers from the manufacturer, pay insurance and for a customs bond, pay customs, and a bunch of 'charges' added by the freight forwarder, transport the tents to a warehouse and carefully unload and store them for sale. I pay prepare estimates and shipping documents and dispatch shipments. I maintain a website and print literature, mail out catalogs at $3 each for mailing costs, attend shows and occasionally donate a tent to a worthy cause. This is before the sale.

I answer a lot of questions - sitting at the phone eight hours a day - from people who may, or may not, buy a tent from us. Fair enough - I do not stint on distributing information to people who ask. I take credit cards and pay to have them processed, and pay for crating and shipping - which is passed on the the customer. I also absorb costs associated with shipping damage, or the occasional customer who just changes his mind. I pay bank charges and bookkeeping costs. I pay taxes.

After the sale, I believe in serving those customers who buy from me by offering a warranty, and carryinga stock of spare parts - whether they are ever needed is not important - I must have them available. They also cost money.

In all this we try to have fun and make a moderate profit so that we will be here next time the customer needs us. Of course you can build one cheaper than you can buy it. But you will not have the same product, service, warranty, spare parts, or assistance.

Just a thought.

Sounds like we are in the same sort of business.

I don't know if the average consumers thinks about all these factors or even cares.

My best friend and I camp in a tent that belonged to his Dad, it's a tent made over 30 years ago and still gong strong. When we sell a trailer we expect the owner to use it for a lifetime and pass it on to their kids.

I tend to think that in the "Walmartization" of society we have forgotten about quality products, the real cost of producing goods, and durability.

If we purchase products with short life spans how many times will we need to repeat the purchase? It's not just the long term cost factor it's the waste of resources, and what happens to the discarded products after we are finished with them.

We think we need to make the least expensive purchase because financially we have to. What we need to do is make our purchase based on quality and durability, make the purchase for the long run, invest your money wisely.

If the product you want is outside your price range at the moment set money aside for it and save.

Sorry about "Soap-Boxing", these ideas are very old fashioned, but I think we have all been living with a false sense of security, in a false economy.

DominicG

Observer
I'm way late to this thread, but i love my RTT (ARB Simpson II). Extremely easy to use and way comfortable for camping. I have probably spent a total of 20-22 night's in it now.. from the hotter than hell desert to way up in the wet and cold mountains.

In the end, it was worth every single penny, and i will not be getting rid of it!

(no, i was not camping in my driveway, just airing everything out from sleeping in the tent for whole week.)
IMG_0322-1.jpg

spressomon

Expedition Leader
DominicG said:
I'm way late to this thread, but i love my RTT (ARB Simpson II). Extremely easy to use and way comfortable for camping. I have probably spent a total of 20-22 night's in it now.. from the hotter than hell desert to way up in the wet and cold mountains.

In the end, it was worth every single penny, and i will not be getting rid of it!

(no, i was not camping in my driveway, just airing everything out from sleeping in the tent for whole week.)
IMG_0322-1.jpg

What awning do you have there?

adventurebuddies

Adventurer
I'd like to chime in as well - I considered all of the RTT designs and after a long conversation with Mike at Autohome (who is as helpful as everyone else has mentioned) I decided the Maggiolina Grand Tour was the right product for me. Yes, it cost a fortune, but for me it was worth every penny for several reasons: First and most importantly, my wife loves it. She's warm and comfy so there are no issues with camping. Second, I really don't like setting up camp, so for me to crank the handle for 45 sec and have my bed ready to go with real sheets and a great matress is worth any price. Third, the build quality of the Maggiolina is excellent. I plan to drive around the world so I wanted something that can take anything, month after month, That's peace of mind because sleeping in a crappy tent is a bummer - wind flapping and leaks are no fun.

There is however a big limitation to it - no vestibule. I have spent months backpacking/trekking in the Andes where it rained for weeks straight and having a vestibule is really handy. In the end it was a compromise I was willing to make.

So, Mike explained why it's so expensive. Other's like me have said why the expense is worth it. Hopefully that helps.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
DaveInDenver said:
I mean seriously, who doesn't have 8GHz DPO scopes and 102 channel, 3 GHz mixed signal analyzers?
:D
I've got better than that here....
But, then again, this is an Agilent training lab.

This is a great thread.

gier, did look at the Conqueror tent too? Like I posted earlier, it's the only one that I could stand up in without additional panels/rooms added. I thought it was a clever design --- one that needs improving though.

100_0566.jpg

100_0564.jpg

JimC

gier said:
Looks like for -300 I have a much stronger and more durable one that I have seen for 800. Should have it all done by sunday.

While anxiously waiting to hear how this all pans out, it appears to have taken somewhat longer than the projected time. How much is that worth?

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
I love my RTT was the cost worth it ....yes but I bought mine in Venezuela and not for 1800 usd..

When self building anything....I prefer to take inspiration from the products available and either improve if possible...or just do it my way.

I really can't see the point in a direct copy...I'm not Chinese.

The design of RTT's to me is flawed in the existing ones....

Humans learn't many years ago that flat roof's don't work....and especially in tents..

Not one soft cover RTT can have the door flap/ rain cover open and up in heavy rain, as the middle simply fills with water, your only option is to batten down the hatch's...

perfect in oregon, but certainly not in the tropics......

I'd think along the lines of a quecha 2 second air popup design, only with a little more height for changing etc, I have a few sketch's I've done to date.

With maybe even the door where the hinge is rather than at one end..currently usually the end with the ladder ie the location with the least support

As mine after 8 years of use the roof is coming apart and a rebuild will be
soon.

Probably won't be quite as quick....as a direct copy to set up, but more inherently wether proof through design, but without sacrificing air flow.

Cost as mentioned earlier is based on quantity, availabilty, demand, quality and location.

DSC01756.jpg

Last edited:

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
gier said:
While looking for a less expensive RTT I have looked into making my own. I spoke with a guy who has done canvas for boats and redone popups. He knew exactly what I wanted. Just called me back with his quote. The aluminum I already have the price on. Looks like for -300 I have a much stronger and more durable one that I have seen for 800. Should have it all done by sunday.

Any updates on the progress and/or completion of your RTT gier? We've had a few Sundays since 10/20.

njtaco

Explorer
gier hasn't logged on since 10/27...maybe an e-mail from someone would help.
Nevermind, I'll do it. :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger