Trailer Sliding Platform

socaljeeper

Adventurer
I am thinking about fabricating a sliding platform on the bottom of my M-416. I am looking into different heavy duty drawer slides and I am finding out they are on the expensive side. They range between $200-$300 a pair for the 48" slide. Does anyone have a cheaper alternative or know where I can get a good deal on slides? Here is a link to rockler where I found a heavy duty 48" accuride drawer slide:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=1491&filter=48%22%20drawer%20slide

Tumbleweed

Adventurer
Would some Delrin type rollers on 1/2" roundstock, a few stops and guides work? Just thinking outloud and trying to give you an idea.

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
I bought some 36" slides with, I think, a 200+ pound rating from wood workers wharehouse for around $90.

Here is a link to ones like I bought, although it looks like their price has gone up a little:

WoodWorker's Wharehouse

Don

Last edited:

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Would some Delrin type rollers on 1/2" roundstock, a few stops and guides work? Just thinking outloud and trying to give you an idea.

That's what I'm been thinking of doing. Some aluminum extrusions, and teflon blocks might do the trick. Might be a little harder to slide, but probably cheaper.

davegonz

Explorer
That's what I'm been thinking of doing. Some aluminum extrusions, and teflon blocks might do the trick. Might be a little harder to slide, but probably cheaper.

That or bearings on some 1/2" shoulder bolts. Look at how the Engle fridge slide is built.

Take a look at this build: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=237671

FridgeSlide-TiffSierra7-4-08013.jpg

Just scale it up.

Last edited:

Stouttrout

Adventurer
I made my own once for a Ramcharger I used as an office. It had all the computers and printer in it and a desk that slid out. It was similar to the above pic for the fridge slide. I bought Bearings from ACE Hardware and used angle iron to mount it to. I think I spent about $25 bucks on it and it would hold alot of weight.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
My first thought was for these:
6461kp1l.gif

page 1098 on mcmaster.com
The least expensive sealed option there are $14 each and has these load capacities:
Max Static Load: 2065 lbs.
Max Dynamic Load: 1660 lbs.
That's per bearing!

An issue that an under trailer slide is going to have is the build-up of dust and muck. I would suggest using the outside corner of a piece of angle for the rollers to roll on, rather than rolling them on the flat. On the flat provides a ledge for the dust & muck to build up on, and then the roller won't want to roll.

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
I always thought that for a trailer, a large slide-out drawer would be a great way to easily access everything in the trailer all through the rear tailgate.

Those units that ntsqd would be great for that purpose.

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
Make sure you have a rear stabilizer or that the trailer is coupled to the vehicle so that when you shift the cargo weight on the slide rearwards you don't pop a dangerous wheelie with the front of your trailer.

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
Make sure you have a rear stabilizer or that the trailer is coupled to the vehicle so that when you shift the cargo weight on the slide rearwards you don't pop a dangerous wheelie with the front of your trailer.

Good tip - something I would have made the mistake of before putting stabilizers down! :oops:

Granted, if the trailer is still hitched to the tow vehicle, you wouldn't have to worry.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader

I love "trailer surfing" on my utility trailer while unloading it... :Wow1:

OlympiaFJ60

Adventurer
When i built my rear draw on my FJ60 I used the slides from joeybed.com. They are rated upto 500#. I have been thinking of putting one in the trailer too. You have to email them at joeybed but I found some prices here http://www.truckcargobed.com/joeybed/full_ex.html. The thing I liked about the Joey Bed slides is that they lock at full closed, full open and partial open with an easy to us unlocking leaver.

socaljeeper

Adventurer
Thanks for all the ideas. I think the Mcmaster bearing rollers will work the best and the price is not too high. I am still thinking on how I want to design the tray and how the rollers would work the best. Those Joey Bed slides are really nice. My brother was telling me that his entire fire engine is outfitted with those type of slides. I will post up some pictures of when I get started. Keep the ideas coming! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78