Trailer Sliding Platform

alosix

Expedition Leader
I love "trailer surfing" on my utility trailer while unloading it... :Wow1:

So, I'm not the only one to have just about thrown themselves out of the trailer while walking around it?

Man did that wake me up the first time I pulled that.

Jason

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
My thinking is that most drawer systems give up a lot of volume to the rolling mechanism(s). That volume is lost, so minimizing it increases the drawer's volume without increasing the volume of the assembly. I used the roller that I previously mentioned in the design, but there may be a better option. The garage door rollers are attractively priced, but are much bigger in diameter.

This design uses 6 of the rollers. The upper pair and their slots are strategically placed to both carry the load of a partially opened drawer and to limit the travel of the drawer in both directions.
The frame is 3/4" square tube x .120 wall with threaded bushings welded in place for the rollers to thread into. The drawer is 1/2" thick Birch 7 ply plywood. For heavy use a steel wear plate may need to be inserted into the top and bottom of the slots. I'd try it without first and see what the drawer life is.

drawerslide.jpg

socaljeeper

Adventurer
My thinking is that most drawer systems give up a lot of volume to the rolling mechanism(s). That volume is lost, so minimizing it increases the drawer's volume without increasing the volume of the assembly. I used the roller that I previously mentioned in the design, but there may be a better option. The garage door rollers are attractively priced, but are much bigger in diameter.

This design uses 6 of the rollers. The upper pair and their slots are strategically placed to both carry the load of a partially opened drawer and to limit the travel of the drawer in both directions.
The frame is 3/4" square tube x .120 wall with threaded bushings welded in place for the rollers to thread into. The drawer is 1/2" thick Birch 7 ply plywood. For heavy use a steel wear plate may need to be inserted into the top and bottom of the slots. I'd try it without first and see what the drawer life is.

I like your idea, but for this set-up to work I would need to build a frame and drawer that follows the same shape as the tub. This I think would be heavy and more expensive then just providing a tray/platform that slides at the bottom of the trailer.

jesusgatos

Explorer
That's a great design for any type of drawer slide though. I'm over at Davis Cabinets in Eugene this week building-out the interior of my Deuce, and this gives me something to think about as an alternative to the full-extension slides that we're planning to use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman