KAM Ring and Pinion Press Release

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fivespddisco

Supporting Sponsor
Rover Dog is very proud to announce the Official Release of KAM gears in the USA. You may ask yourself, Why is this so important to the Land Rover community? Well, we have 8 game changing reasons that are sure to change your mind.

1) Reverse cut fronts!

2) The same price for standard and reverse cut gears!

3) (4.10) and (4.75) gears for you P-38 Lovers!

4) Not 1, not 2, but 3 choices of classic Rover gear ratios for you! (3.8) (4.10) (4.75)

5) Dyno static tested by Land Rover Engineers to be stronger then stock, (3.8) 70% (4.10) 25% (4.75) 50%

6) Each gear set is matched and lapped-in by a Gleeson lapping-in machine for optimum set up

7) All gear set are made from certified steels, dedicated drop forgings and carefully controlled heat treatments.

8) Best of all they are only $328 a set!

We at Lucky 8 are striving to be your first choice for Land Rover drive train. Let us know what we can do to earn your business

for more info http://lucky8llc.com/Search.asp?Manu=KAM

nosivad_bor

Wow, gears just became considerable more affordable for a Land Rover. Can we talk about real world use, like how long these gears have been in service and track record? I know the KAM name so I'm assuming there is some proof in the pudding.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Sounds very interesting since before long I'll be setting up a couple of diffs for my 90. But two questions come to mind.

5) Dyno static tested by Land Rover Engineers to be stronger then stock
Land Rover was involved in the development of the these?
7) All gear set are made from certified steels
What exactly does this mean?

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
"All gear set are made from certified steels "

"What exactly does this mean? "

Usually steel that comes with a test cerificate, hardness composition
x rayed for voids etc etc.

ie not your off the shell 9" bar or cast but one thats been through a QC system.

KAM supply to both the UK and other military suppliers

http://www.kamdiffs.com/military.php

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
All steel mills will certify a piece of steel. It is just a piece of paper testifying to the chemical composition. In other words, they are saying , for example, a piece of 1010 that they produced falls within a standard range for chemical compostion for that particular classification.
What KAM means by certified steel? Only they can answer that.

Snagger

Explorer
I spoke to KAM two days ago because I want to fit defender axles, much like Koos has done, and change their diff ratios to 4.1:1 at the same time - the Tdi I fitted tops out at 80mph, but it's hellishly noisy above 65mph with the overdrive engaged. I think the 3.54s will be a bit too steep for comfortable use (we have 30mph limits in built up areas, which is perfect in 4th gear with 4.71s, but would need third gear with overdrive with 3.54s, which is a nuisance to be operating two gear levers when driving around town). I'm also not too sure about long hills with the 3.54s - it'd never pull with the OD engaged, and long steep hills may need third with OD where it strugles in 4th now. then there is the issue of steep descents, where engine braking in low range will be handicapped by the 35% gearing increase.

Unfortunately, while they make the Rover and P38/TDCI Defender type diffs with 4.1 ratios, they don't do the Salisbury diff in that ratio; just 3.54, 3.8 and 4.71.

That limits me to 3.54 or transferring the 4.71s from my existing diffs to the newer axles - 3.8 is still too steep to be worth the cost, and I don't want to fit a TDCI type rear axle to the rear because they're too expensive from the breakers, not as tough, and would need a custom rear prop, unless any of you know where I can get 4.1:1 Dana gears for a sensible price.

For all that, I was impressed by the advice and options KAM offered. The prices for the crowns and ponions in the UK are £195 for Rover diffs, £225 for the P38 and £276 for the Salisbury (Dana), plus VAT.

Snagger

Explorer
That's good to hear. Obviously, I have no experience or knowledge of suppliers over there - can you recommend any, please?

muskyman

Explorer
That's good to hear. Obviously, I have no experience or knowledge of suppliers over there - can you recommend any, please?

national drivetrain

randy's ring and pinion

4wheel parts wholesalers

the list is almost never ending...if you need a hand and dont have access when you figure the ration you need shoot me a PM and I can help you out no problem at all.

Thom

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
What KAM means by certified steel? Only they can answer that.
Yeah, that's what it meant. I know what "certified steel" is, in the same way I know what it means when someone says they are a "certified weldor". In other words, without detailed information it's pretty meaningless.

Land Rover tested the gears because they are using them on some of their special Vehicles.
Ok, cool.

What that means is KAM has full control over the quality of metal use through the process.
Unless they have a rep at every step of the way from the steel mill to the heat treatment, that's pretty unlikely. I'm guessing that what they really mean is that they can provide certification information for any product, on the composition of the steel and details on the processes used in making the end product.

I'm not knocking the gear sets, or KAM in general, in fact I'm quite intrigued by the new offering. I just find it annoying when a likely very good product is slapped with a meaningless label.
I'd rather see them leave out such a label and provide the info when asked. I'm pretty sure no one would think "Gee, they don't say they are made from certified steel[sic], I'm not interested."
Ok, I'm done nit-picking. :coffeedrink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger