KAM Ring and Pinion Press Release

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeriAnn

Explorer
Rover Dog is very proud to announce the Official Release of KAM gears in the USA.

Umm

You may be a tad late on this announcement. I believe British Pacific has been offering the KAM 4.10:1 R&P for a few years and I think Great Basin Rovers have been offering several of KAM products for years as well.

My Dormobile has the 4.75:1 R&P gears from Great basin Rovers installed for a couple years now. I upgraded when I upgraded to 24 spline front axles. The 4.75 R&P gears are way stronger than the Rover 4.7:1. I also have the KAM H.D. rear Salisbury axles and the old style KAM drive flanges which have been under my truck for about 5 years. Also sourced from Great Basin Rovers.

It looks like you have good prices and they are high quality products that help keep the Land Rover's drive train together. I'm always happy to see another nearby reputable source of high quality products that fit my truck. I wish you good sales numbers.

Frontdiffs.jpg

LEFT-4.75 ring gear RIGHT - 4.7 Rover ring gear

Note the line on the 4.7 gear. That is a joint with the actual gear above it and a spacer below it. The actual 4.7 ring gear is what you see above that line.

The 4.75 is that much more massive than stock. In my book its a very good upgrade when you drop in an engine with more than stock torque.​

Fivespddisco

Supporting Sponsor
Yeah, that's what it meant. I know what "certified steel" is, in the same way I know what it means when someone says they are a "certified weldor". In other words, without detailed information it's pretty meaningless.

Ok, cool.

Unless they have a rep at every step of the way from the steel mill to the heat treatment, that's pretty unlikely. I'm guessing that what they really mean is that they can provide certification information for any product, on the composition of the steel and details on the processes used in making the end product.

I'm not knocking the gear sets, or KAM in general, in fact I'm quite intrigued by the new offering. I just find it annoying when a likely very good product is slapped with a meaningless label.
I'd rather see them leave out such a label and provide the info when asked. I'm pretty sure no one would think "Gee, they don't say they are made from certified steel[sic], I'm not interested."
Ok, I'm done nit-picking. :coffeedrink:

Tom
I dont mind the nit picking at all. In fact it helps me learn.
I will address the easy one for me first.
KAM has oven temps on all of the gears. The heat treatment as you know is super critical.

I'm pretty sure no one would think "Gee, they don't say they are made from certified steel[sic], I'm not interested."

Now the one I dont know. "Certified Steel"
When working with Kevin the owner of KAM it was very important to him that everyone knew the metals used were of constant good quality and not slapped together in China.

Fivespddisco

Supporting Sponsor
Umm

You may be a tad late on this announcement. I believe British Pacific has been offering the KAM 4.10:1 R&P for a few years and I think Great Basin Rovers have been offering several of KAM products for years as well.

Yes and no
This is a new generation of gears from KAM and We are the only ones in the US to have them on the shelf.
But my press release should have said
"KAMs rerelease in the US"

gbrbill

Justin
Since it seems OK to promote oneself on forums these days, I suppose it is OK for me to do so also. I'll comment point by point.

1) Reverse cut fronts!

We pioneered reverse cut fronts gears 10 or 12 years ago. Almost every gear we sell is available in reverse cut and has been for this entire time.

2) The same price for standard and reverse cut gears!

We have always sold reverse cut for the same price as regular rotation rear gears.

3) (4.10) and (4.75) gears for you P-38 Lovers!

We introduced 4.10 P38 gears 10 or 12 years ago, including reverse cut fronts 4.10, which KAM does not offer at this time. Reverse cut gears on P38's are even more important than a Rover diff because P38's have an inherent outer pinion bearing oiling issue. We do not offer 4.75 P38 gears because Gleason indicated that a P38 ring gear was too thin to accommodate the tooth coarseness of an 8X38 tooth count. Besides that there is no demand for them, especially in this country. If the demand ever materializes, we have an engineering solution for the thin ring gear. This is also why only a 4.10 ratio is available for a P38 (including us) instead of a 4.11 ratio i.e. they are too coarse for the thin P38 ring gear.

4) Not 1, not 2, but 3 choices of classic Rover gear ratios for you! (3.8) (4.10) (4.75)

We offer not 1, not 2, not 3 but 5 different Rover gear ratio's for you 3.9, 4.11, 4.14, 4.43 and 4.71.

5) Dyno static tested by Land Rover Engineers to be stronger then stock, (3.8) 70% (4.10) 25% (4.75) 50%

We do not offer 4.10 gears (10X41 tooth count) because a 4.11 (9X37 tooth count) is 20% stronger based on the coarser tooth count on the ring gear. A 4.14 (7X29) is 25% stronger than a 4.11 so obviously much more so than a 4.10 (10X41). KAM does not offer either a 4.11 or a 4.14.
We discontinued 4.75 gears (8X38 tooth count) and substituted a 4.71ratio with a 7X33 tooth count. A 4.71 is 20% stronger than a 4.75. Gleason has provided us with our durability figures.

6) Each gear set is matched and lapped-in by a Gleeson lapping-in machine for optimum set up

This is standard R&P manufacturing procedure not anything unique to KAM. The correct spelling of Gleason is with an A. We also cryo treat our 4.14, 4.43 and 4.71 gears, which is unique to the Rover market.

7) All gear set are made from certified steels, dedicated drop forgings and carefully controlled heat treatments.

This is standard R&P manufacturing procedure not anything unique to KAM.

8) Best of all they are only $328 a set!

Our gears range in price from $299.95 to $449.95 and most of them include set up shims (both pinion height & pinion bearing preload), new pinion nuts, washers and viton pinion seals.

Bill
GBR

michaels

Explorer
bill,

your post comes off as sophmoric and rude. you are trying to promote yourself and discredit justin's product in his release thread. do you have no morals?

it's about time you updated that horrible website of yours. there is no way to navigate it with your current lineup of products. i have no idea what exactly you sell and at what prices. i'm not the type of guy to call you and ask. the internet is here for a reason, and modern business dictates a current and updated website to reach the widest number of customers. i want to see info on products without a the opinion of a biased entity (a.k.a. you, or another vendor ) talking into my ear, and compare the products myself, picture to picture, spec to spec. i can not do this with the current way you operate business.

justin is friendly, responsive, and not overzealous to discredit another vender, especially in his own thread. it seems you could learn a little from his business ethics. there is a reason i never plan to buy from you, and your post backs my opinion.

cheers,
michael.

Mike_rupp

Adventurer
Michael, people have been nudging Bill to update his web site as long as I can remember. Thankfully, other vendors like Jason and Keith have come into the marketplace and started to fill in the gaps. Bill obviously has felt threatened by guys like Keith and Justin and has had to resort to these types of posts. Bill wore out his welcome on Dweb, and will most likely do the same here.

Last edited:
C

CantBanYahoo

I like this part the best.

Our gears range in price from $299.95 to $449.95 and most of them include set up shims (both pinion height & pinion bearing preload), new pinion nuts, washers and viton pinion seals.

Not only is Bill more $$ in the gear department, but his bearings are more $$ to. Save moeney here, pay it out there.

Bill,
You're finished. Admit it and move on. You sat back for too long doing nothing thinking you had the Land Rover parts department locked up. Now you're doing nothing but hurting the community with your antics such as the incident with Rockford. No one would really care if your gears sets were $99.00 at this point as you've managed to ruin your reputation by ripping people off for years-and-years with your super over-priced parts. You continue to come on these forums and lecture about how your products are superior, yet there does not seem to be a problem with the other products offered. If there was a problem word would travel fast and people would not buy them.

It's time to retire, Bill.

muskyman

Explorer
Well well well, it looks like once again Bill from Great Basin Rovers is comming in to try and rain on someones parade.:coffee:

Bill has long had resentment twards anyone that dare try to build a business in the rover community. Bill has a long record of attacking people on a personal lever and making acusations that people want to "stack them deep and sell them cheap" and "ruin the rover market" This is kinda funny because the "stack them deep and sell them cheap" mentality helps the vendor because they sell more product and it helps the consumer because they get the same product at a lower cost. The only person that it does not help is the greedy lazy middle man that wants to stock a small amount of product and charge the absolute highest possible margin so they can make the same amount in the end on the lowest possible number of transactions.

Well in this case it looks like yet another foreign vendor has choosen to back Justin at lucky 8 to sell their product in the US market. I applaud these vendors because in the end it will only help the U. S. based Land Rover community. Land Rovers are getting really cheap these days and having vendors that want to sell product for a fair price will help more of these trucks to stay on the road and get used off road, and in the end thats what we are all about as Land Rover enthusiasts.

Once again here is to Justin and Lucky 8 for the hard work and dedication he has been showing to the Land Rover community and the vendors that are showing confidence in his business model here in the United States!!

:clapsmile

jham

Adventurer
LOL. Really, Bill? I can only second what others have said. Your attitude is childish at best.

gbrbill

bill,

your post comes off as sophmoric and rude. you are trying to promote yourself and discredit justin's product in his release thread. do you have no morals?
--------------
justin is friendly, responsive, and not overzealous to discredit another vender, especially in his own thread. it seems you could learn a little from his business ethics. there is a reason i never plan to buy from you, and your post backs my opinion.

cheers,
michael.

Michael
I find your post interesting. Rude, sophomoric and immoral. What ugly things to say. Immoral - Hmmm, I've been called a lot of things but never immoral. A child molester is immoral. These are pretty strong words.
Here are some thoughts and a few questions for you. This is a forum. The definition of a forum is "a place of or a meeting for public discussion" (Oxford Illustrated Dictionary). It is also a "public" forum. Last I checked, public meant that anyone could participate. The object of a discussion is to disseminate information. So lets objectively look at what happened. Justin posts an press release/advertisement on a "public forum". Bear in mind that there are plenty of places to put advertisements that your competitors cannot directly respond too but a "public forum" is not one of them. I chose to respond and disseminate some additional information to stimulate some discussion. This is what a forum is for, disseminate information for debate and discussion.
1) Explain to me why Justin is allowed to post information on this "public forum" and I'm not?
2) How is this rude, sophomoric and immoral?
3) Why did you choose name calling instead of starting a discussion?

Another thought, traditionally "public forums" are supposed to be non-commercial. Most of them still are and place restrictions on vender advertising. An example is Pirate. A vendor, even if they aren't even advertising is required to identify themselves as a vendor by the yellow star by their name so the reader knows you are a vendor. Obviously, they think this is very important. Vendors ignoring this rule are banned. Instead of being monitored, some forums are self policed. An example is Discoweb. Recently Justin was publicly asked to stop publicly advertising on Discoweb by the idiot Chapman no less. Did you know this? I try to respect this rule. Evidently this forum has no restrictions on vendor advertising. So again the question is: why is it OK for Justin to post an advertisement on a "public forum" and by responding I'm rude, sophomoric and immoral?

Another thought, can you show me where I said anything critical or negative about Justin personally, his business or his business practices? I have no problem with Justin personally. I have no problem competing with Justin. I even sort of know Justin, we have spoken numerous times in the past. He is even running my differentials in his personal car although I suspect they aren't painted green anymore. I respect Justin, he's actually doing it, unlike most of the Big Man on Forum types that dream about owning any business but don't have the balls to do what Justin is doing. Starting a business is 90% balls. Justin - congratulations on the business and having some balls! It must be frustrating for these forum tough guys to watch you do this. Maybe if they spent less time on forums calling people names or posting thousands of times, they could be starting a business - maybe even a 4WD one.

Final question, Michael. Can you show me where I said anything technically or factually inaccurate in my post?

One final thought, Michael - as you are shaking your arm and pointing your finger at me calling me rude, sophomoric and immoral, take a look at where your other three fingers are pointing.

Bill
GBR
P.S. I'll respond to your comments about my website later

gbrbill

Wow??
Bill
You have said more about you and your bussiness practices then I ever could.

Justin
I'm going to ignore that comment. Now that the congrats are over, let's move on. Since it appears that no one is really interested in anything but name calling, I guess it is up to us to start the discussion. As I noted in my second post, I have absolutely no problem competing with you. I'll summarize my first post as such: I have a much broader product line, a higher quality product line, a lot more experience, more technical knowledge, better prices and I can back all of that up. What do you have to say to that my fellow competitor?

Bill
GBR

gbrbill

I like this part the best.

Cantbanyahoo
It looks like you joined yesterday to join this debate. I'm flattered, how many other people get folks to join new forums just because they post. Word gets around fast.
So what did you like about that part? I'd be happy to go into detail.
Seems to me that you are scraping the bottom of the barrel here.

Bill
GBR

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12