1st Generation Toyota 4Runner's.....

• Thread starter Scenic WonderRunner
  • Start date

Bergger

Explorer
Wow!! That is an amazing truck. Here's my 87 turbo. It runs great but has the usual rust issues. I'm installing an OME suspension in the next few weeks to replace the worn out original one. I also have a chance to get one of the few remaining TJM bumpers left in country for this truck. I cant decide if I want to get it or just keep the factory bumper on. What would you guys do?
044resize.jpg

047resize.jpg

051resize.jpg

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Nice 1st Gen....Bergger!

How about just Buy it and continue to think while it sits in your garage? If you decide that you don't want it, I'm sure you could easily sell it to another ExPo member.

As for me. I would only buy a bumper like that and add all the weight if I decided to add a winch. I have never needed a winch. So I'm not sure I would need a bumper like that.

But they look Cool!.....:sombrero::victory::costumed-smiley-007:ylsmoke:

Oh Just Buy It!......:costumed-smiley-007

BLKNBLU

Explorer
Just got back from a little AZ Strip/North Rim trip. Have to sort through some stuff and gather stats etc. for a write up, but here is something to whet your whistle.

At SB Point
15mmp8p.jpg

At Whitmore Rapids, as close as I could get. (And it made some folks nervous)
206d82s.jpg

Another random shot as we drove in to Whitmore that I thought came out cool.
211sz2w.jpg

djrez4

Adventurer
Wow!! That is an amazing truck. Here's my 87 turbo. It runs great but has the usual rust issues. I'm installing an OME suspension in the next few weeks to replace the worn out original one. I also have a chance to get one of the few remaining TJM bumpers left in country for this truck. I cant decide if I want to get it or just keep the factory bumper on. What would you guys do?

Are you getting that TJM from Yoda Jim? I just picked one up for my '85 over the weekend. He had two IFS models sitting there.

snwbrdr852

I found this today.

http://www.yotatech.com/f116/1st-gen-4runner-roof-rack-idea-install-197292/

IMG_3422.jpg

Not sure if I would want to drill holes in my top. But there is the idea.

That's my truck. The top and rack are both holding up really well. Hasn't leaked a drop either. Here's a few pics from a trip through the AZ Strip with a pretty good load up top.

IMG_3831.jpg

IMG_3777.jpg

IMG_3752.jpg

Chevy springs, dual batts, 160A alt and plenty of other little mods. I just finished up installing a fresh 22RE and it will be getting an e-locker, gears, and tires in the next month, followed by bumpers and winch soon after.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Welcome to EXPO! ....snwbrdr852

That's a really great idea you have! Nice set up. Great to hear no leaks.

Good Job!

S

Scenic WonderRunner

A member at another site asked the question...Where to relocate the Transfer Case oil cooler after a 3.0V6 Header install, with auto tranny.

I have the pics handy, so here goes.

See cooler just ahead of the gas tank.

2010_0523TransCaseCoolerReloc0002.jpg

I unbolted the cooler. Loosened the fittings/hoses and spun the cooler around toward the rear, and bolted it to my emergency brake bracket. The stock hoses are long enough.

I tilted it top forward to catch some airflow while moving.

2010_0523TransCaseCoolerReloc0011.jpg

2010_0523TransCaseCoolerReloc0005.jpg

The front lines are bent steel tubes from the Toyota Factory. I think I reversed the tubes to make the switch. I didn't want to try and bend any factory tubes.

2010_0523TransCaseCoolerReloc0012.jpg

That's my original transfer case with clean gaskets and 84,000 original miles now.

Toyotero

Explorer
SNWBRDR,

That's a great looking rack. I read your write up on Yotatech. I mounted one that I made by drilling holes in the roof also, and I've never had a leak... I put captured nuts from the inside and some kind of thin and dense foam between the rack and the roof, then between a washer and the rack. I also designed it to be low profile, at the top edge it is under 5" tall from the roof.

This was on my '88. The roof and rack are now on my '86.

5828297_1e0f8c71b1.jpg

http://forum.ih8mud.com/3727791-post6.html
http://forum.ih8mud.com/3728473-post9.html

That's my truck. The top and rack are both holding up really well. Hasn't leaked a drop either. Here's a few pics from a trip through the AZ Strip with a pretty good load up top.

Chevy springs, dual batts, 160A alt and plenty of other little mods. I just finished up installing a fresh 22RE and it will be getting an e-locker, gears, and tires in the next month, followed by bumpers and winch soon after.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle