• Thread starter Scenic WonderRunner
  • Start date

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
some from our trip in the sierra cascades
Ponderosaway044.jpg

Ponderosaway002.jpg

Fedauto

Heres a nice driveway shot of my old 1989. Actually it was a 1989 when my cousin flopped it so it had an 87 body put on. The 3.0 also burned a ton of oil and would gunk the spark plugs so bad that they would stop firing. I could feel it when I'd loose a cylinder and would go home and put a new one in. One time however it got down to 3 cylinders before I could make it home.... and I still got home. Gotta love a toyota. I think that's one of the reasons I will love them forever now haha. I had a low mileage 3.0 put in it out of a 95 after that. It had 33x12.5 Wildcat MT's on it. The front was geared to 4.88 but the rear was still 4.10 because they owner before me ran out of money or something like that. So I drove it for 2 years in 2wd back an forth from high school.

old4runner.jpg

Then no joke the memorial day weekend 2 years ago... what a sad anniversary.... I did this cruising down a logging road way too fast. I was actually going to place my order from new headers and new ring and pinion for the rear when I got home from this trip....

4runnerdownthemountain.jpg

We yanked it out on the first go pulling a little downhill and it rolled right back off the side haha so we winched two of the quads to it and pulled it back up the hill.

4runnerbeingpulledout.jpg

and the end result.....

smashed4runner2.jpg

it did make a good work bench though while I was replacing the head on my new 1985

workbenchsmall.jpg

I picked this stock 1985 up in novemeber. First thing I did was drive it from Pullman WA up to Forks WA for elk hunting and back again and these are the only pictures I took of it. Only new thing since then was replacing the head and I put a ski rack on it thats as old as the truck itself so I can haul ladders around for my painting business.

superflexhahasmall.jpg

stuck.jpg

wherearetheelksmall.jpg

Im going to build this bad boy to take me to alaska and across the states this fall. Im thinking about a custom top with a pop up camper. Havent decided on tire size yet. If I go with 33's I'll regear to 4.88's. I'll do a rear selectable for sure and I'm going to either rebuild this 22re or throw a brand new one in there. Oh and I'm going to do a rear disk brake conversion on the v6 axle from my old one and swap it in to this one. But thats all I have for now :) I'm loving this site

Last edited:

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
Hey man, what tires are you running? Look pretty good, but cant identify them.

Not sure you were talkin to me but my tires are Toyo MT's in the 31in flavor. once these are toast I will probably replace them with 33's of the same variety but lots of tread on them still.

Not sure you were talkin to me but my tires are Toyo MT's in the 31in flavor. once these are toast I will probably replace them with 33's of the same variety but lots of tread on them still.

Yes sir, to you. Thanks.
I've really enjoyed the 16" wheels on my truck with the ability to choose a tall and skinny tire opposed to the very typical 15" wheel and tire sizes.

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
Yes sir, to you. Thanks.
I've really enjoyed the 16" wheels on my truck with the ability to choose a tall and skinny tire opposed to the very typical 15" wheel and tire sizes.

Your welcome. Toyo makes a 32x9.4x16 thats pretty tight but I will probably go with the 33.5x10.2x16 as my next tire. It means getting rid of the stock wheels but oh well. I may find a set similar to yours.

http://toyotires.com/tire/pattern/open-country-mt

Last edited:

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
Right on. Les Shwab always has a set of used toyota rims like that. I have been thinkin of some steel rims but holy skunk breath batman they want almost as much for steel rims as I paid for my 20's on the magnum.

austintaco

Explorer
Man, Dirtco. That is a nice build. I remember reading about your old 85, but I guess I forgot that you had the buildup going on the turbo truck. The best of both worlds.

I will have to read your buildup thread on another night, but I am interested in reading how you did your rear bumper.

once again..nice job!

Bergger

Explorer
My 4Runner Grew!

Just had a complete OME suspension put on my 87, shocks, springs, torsion bars and steering stabilizer. I got 4 1/4" of lift in the rear and 1 1/2" in the front. It rides so much better now. The rear is a little high but I'm sure it will settle over time. If you go back a page or so in this thread you can see what it looked like before the OME suspension.

018.JPG

019.JPG

020.JPG

013.JPG

Owyhee H

Adventurer
Time to Post Pics

Well I thought that you were all sharing so nicely that I would join the fun. Here is my 85 4runner. I like it clean, simple, and reliable. I have an e-locker which is now in my garage to be repainted after all the machining but is ready to slap under the truck and I am still contemplating lower TC gears but am unsure I need them. Lots of other work has been done but mostly rebuilding to stock specs to keep it reliable and efficient. I would love to put on an OME lift but again don't know if I need it, I haven't been wanting more clearance but the ride would be nicer.

Attachments

• IMG_3196.jpg
    IMG_3196.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_3040.jpg
    IMG_3040.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 104

Bergger

Explorer
I would love to put on an OME lift but again don't know if I need it, I haven't been wanting more clearance but the ride would be nicer.

I really felt I did not need the lift in my 87 either but my springs and shocks were shot and the ride was terrible. Last week just had an OME full suspension installed and it rides like a dream. Soaks up all the bumps and dips. I love it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179