"Domestic" Defender 130?

mattgo

Hi all--longtime lurker here, and I wanted to drop in and ask for some advice and opinions.

I'm considering a long-term, less-than-cheap project--that is, building a Defender 130 crewcab from scratch, but with all-domestic drivetrain for availability of parts, specifically a 4BT Cummins and Dana 44s front and rear. Trans and transfer case are still undecided, but I'd like a 5 speed manual with overdrive if possible. Here is the page that I'm getting my inspiration from-

http://www.tawayama.com/gear/crewcab/crewcabpage2.html

Currently I have a '76 Scout II with 258ci I6 and 3 speed that I plan to pull the axles from and start cleaning them up.

What I'm looking for just doesn't really exist outside of building it--I'm looking for a medium-wheelbase, 4 door with small pickup bed, mechanical diesel, no computers anywhere, and solid axles with coil spring suspension. I've considered a CUCV Blazer or a similar suburban, but I really would like a small-ish truck bed. The draw of the Defender is that the body panels appear to be modular--roof, floor, bulkhead, etc. just bolt to each other and to the frame. I like that idea versus having an entire body tub to deal with.

Thoughts? Opinions? Is this a feasible plan? Where do I start?

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
PM a certain Mr Slade in SLC he may have what you desire !

and if its not up for sale he definitely can give you some pointers !

Yudda

Adventurer
Incredible link !!! thanks for sharing

Your plans sound like a GOOD ;) vehicle !

I would love a Cummins in my 110.

Then again.......300tdi parts are more popular here than 4BT parts.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Rob

Last edited:

Viggen

Just here...
Thats a cool build. I especially like the R-200 air conditioner he installed. Seems like a very good option for a truck that has no real provisions for the A/C inside.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
These short beds come up for sale now and then.
IHC74ccGreen1web.jpg

pangaea

Adventurer
The one thing I can tell you is that building the truck from scratch is going to cost WAY more than you think, and sourcing all of the random, obscure parts will be a headache at best.

There's a guy here in Colorado that was/is doing the same thing you had in mind. Last I heard, he had been stalled for months because he couldn't get a b-pillar anywhere.

Heck, just last weekend, I was able to lock the drivers side door of the Bio Bonatti 110 from the outside for the first time in about 3 months because the connecting rod had fallen off inside the front door. It happened off road, and the shaking caused the rod to fall into the door frame (1 in a million shot, I should buy a lottery ticket). I couldn't find a replacement part ANYWHERE in the western hemisphere. Had to dig one up from the UK.

Personally, I'm inclined to think that you'd be better off finding a clean example of an early 127 and doing a restoration/refurbishment to it. While you're cleaning and prepping that frame for galvanization is a great time to weld on some new motor mounts for the engine swap

evilfij

Explorer
How would you title it?

The best thing to do is import something that suits your needs. 127s (same as a 130) came out in 1984 or 1985 so you can find one in the UK, but frankly, if you are that far into the fab to do what you propose, you can buy a 110 in the UK and source the rear bed and stretch the frame for less than you would pay for a 127 in the UK. This way you get a viable title too.

As someone who has and is in the process of "building" land rovers, you are 10x better off starting with something, and that something should be as close as possible to what you want in the end.

overlander

Expedition Leader
How would you title it?

The best thing to do is import something that suits your needs. 127s (same as a 130) came out in 1984 or 1985 so you can find one in the UK, but frankly, if you are that far into the fab to do what you propose, you can buy a 110 in the UK and source the rear bed and stretch the frame for less than you would pay for a 127 in the UK. This way you get a viable title too.

As someone who has and is in the process of "building" land rovers, you are 10x better off starting with something, and that something should be as close as possible to what you want in the end.

x2. Scratch build is going to run you into vin problems if it isn't done right. Import and restore is what I would do.

mattgo

Thanks for all the help and insight. It looks like I might be better off doing a 110 Crew Cab.

Any sources for 110 or 130 bodies and frames in the U.S.?

Maryland 110

Adventurer
Thanks for all the help and insight. It looks like I might be better off doing a 110 Crew Cab.

Any sources for 110 or 130 bodies and frames in the U.S.?

I have a line on a nice solid 1985 diesel 127/130 double cab hcpu that is left hand drive with a/c in the UK. The dealer that has it is shipping me a truck in two weeks and would love to put it in the same container.
Shoot me an email if thats of interest-its cheap less than 20k imported.

Michael Slade

Untitled
I have a line on a nice solid 1985 diesel 127/130 double cab hcpu that is left hand drive with a/c in the UK. The dealer that has it is shipping me a truck in two weeks and would love to put it in the same container.
Shoot me an email if thats of interest-its cheap less than 20k imported.

That is the perfect starting point. Get it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12